Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 11:05 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,781,577 times

Advertisements

As others have said your plan needs some re-thinking. Between your dog, your car, and what you will pay for a VRBO house that takes a dog, you will be well into spending a good chunk of your 20k for just the 2 months.

I would think of going to Seattle or Portland instead. I just moved to Maui from the Pacific Northwest and if you are a teacher looking for a job, the pay is going to be much higher in Seattle than Maui. Summers are beautiful in the PNW and the social scene is going to be more amenable to your situation. You will spend a lot less staying on the mainland.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:08 AM

5,528 posts, read 12,695,713 times
I'm sorry. I misunderstood when you said "I'll be bringing my dog and 3 year old paid off car with only 27k miles on it."

Old 05-17-2013, 11:42 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,959,147 times
I've never seen a vrbo that takes dogs - do any do that realistically - at any given time there are usually less than 10 rentals on the entire island that takes dogs at all - I'd be surprised a short term rental would entertain a dog with all the clean up involved.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:52 AM

12 posts, read 16,285 times
I know it's difficult to understand posts via email ( the car comeswith me later) if I should actually stay in Maui. I'm just not a complete clunker type of girl and buying and selling a car is tiresome and takes work.

The dog will most likely come with me in summer. 2 mos is a long time to kennel or pawn her off on a friend, although I will think about that as an option. I'd miss her. In my opinion it would be easier to get her there than leave her without me, return, and then bring her. Although, it's not entirely out of the question.

I have seen a vrbo in Haiku that's dog friendly. I'm not as concerned about the dog scenario as I am specific feedback on the list of questions I posted. I do realize dogs are not as welcome in rentals in Maui as on the mainland.

By next summer of 2014 I'd have closer to 35k. I won't be paying rent back on the mainland for those 2 mos, so therefore I will have extra money for a car rental and vacation rental in Maui. It's more like a long vacation than a 'move'. I am contracted and tenured, so if I can't find employment it's really easy to return and re-rent in my current complex. They can't rent them fast enough on the mainland as there are so many!

Seems like a lot of the advice is from individuals who don't live in Maui unfortunately. Anyone who lives there and has an actual real experience would be much better. I don't have any interest in Seattle or Portland, while both nice places. I live on the mainland already and am seeking specifically Maui related answers.

Thanks so much.

Julie

Old 05-17-2013, 12:10 PM

32,685 posts, read 48,227,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlz123 View Post

Oregonwoodsmoke-350$ mortgage in Maui? I'm sorry, but I owned a now foreclosed 2/1 condo in Vegas that was 100k when I bought it and my mortgage was double that. I've been an owner. There's no way....to cover mortgage, HOA, etc it would be a much large payment than $350. That doesn't make sense to me, sorry.........

You won't find rent on Maui for $350, either. A quick look shows that you will pay $1200 a month rent on a one bedroom and there are not many to choose from.

For $1200 a month, you can buy a $250,000 house (mortgage $1144-$1192, depending upon which mortgage company you choose). For $250,000 there are 136 properties for sale that cost less than that. and many of them are under $100,000. Many of those listings under $250,000 are 2 bedroom. There are 10 free standing hoses for sale for $250,000 or less.

So yes, on Maui, you can buy for cheaper than you can rent.

If you could not rent out your house in Vegas for enough to pay the mortgage and expenses, then you overpaid for your house or you bought in the wrong area.

However, I am not suggesting that you buy until after the end of your first year, when you are sure you are staying. I am just disagreeing that there are lots of renters on Maui because real estate is expensive.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:39 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,781,577 times
As an FYI to one of your questions: we rent out our furnished, 2 BR house in Haiku for 2k/month for minimum of 3 months, June to September (you pay utilities). But the short term rate is 170/night. We have a dog and would consider allowing a renter with dog. But this is just an FYI. We are not currently looking for renters.

Old 05-17-2013, 12:45 PM

oregonwoodsmoke- I did not state the $350, you did, I would assume you'd be living in some small town in West Virginia at that rate. Vegas took the biggest hit in the country. That would seem common knowledge. Homes that were 1 million in 2001-2006, now are only 200k if that.

My condo, in one of the best areas in the valley, I bought for what I thought was a good deal in 2007 for 117k, now only 33k..... I foreclosed before the wave of short selling came about. I'm lucky, all my friends lost 100k-500k or more in their homes. Until that dent if off my credit in the next year or so, renting it is.

The cheapest (and disgusting looking) home I have seen on Maui is listed at 399k. I have seen several condos in the 100k-250k range, although for that mortgage you are quoting, you'd need 30% down to avoid gap insurance and to pay that payment. Particularly near the 250k range.

I get the sneaky suspicion you don't live on Maui my dear....just sayin'

I don't doubt it's better to buy real estate, but I'm not here to get in debates over mortgage payments versus renting. I was seeking constructive feedback on several questions.

I am seeing this forum is probably filled with individuals who know less then I do....sigh....about the island....or don't live there.

Thank you Haiku owner, despite not renting, maybe next summer?

Old 05-17-2013, 01:15 PM

I definitely know you don't live on Maui oregonwoodsmoke.....

as most of those 'units' under 250k you quoted are 1- either leaseholds which you'd know about living on Maui or 2- Kahului Harbor dumpy condos or other heavily populated sec 8 complexes (christ I even know that, and I live on the mainland)!!

Out of that there were maybe 5 closer to 250k with pending sales and they aren't 'homes' they are condos, most of which are probably heavily populated vacay rentals.

Old 05-17-2013, 01:15 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,822,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlz123 View Post

I'm bringing my dog as to board her it's roughly 1k per month, so 2k for the 2 mos. I'd be in Maui. I have asked friends, and no one is willing to take care of my dog for a full 2 mos. They've done it for up to two weeks, but they sort of stare at me like I'm crazy. I don't have family here, and I'd have to fly her out of state to stay with my parents, who likewise were not thrilled to watch her for 2 mos as they travel frequently during the summer.
Make sure you do all the research needed to find out what you have to do to get your dog to Hawaii and not have it stuck in quarantine.

Importing Animals to Hawaii from the U.S. Mainland | Plant Industry Division

http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/files/2013/01/aqsbrochure.pdf

Old 05-17-2013, 02:06 PM

Yes, I'm on the blood test now. I most likely can do direct release carrying her on Alaska with Lahaina Animal Clinic meeting me at the airport without quarantine if the blood test clears which it 99.9% should. Thanks for the link. Appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui