Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 03:21 PM

4,096 posts, read 6,235,544 times

Advertisements

"I know it's difficult to understand posts via email" jlz123

Yes, OP, your english structure is very hard to follow. You have many ideas in one sentence. You seem to be thinking faster than you are typing leaving out complete thought, having run on sentences. Try writing in complete sentences and don't jump around so much. One idea per paragraph might help. I really had a lot of trouble trying to follow what you said, what you are asking. So I'm not surprised there are misunderstandings, here are just a couple:

"Until that dent if off my credit in the next year or so, renting it is." jlz123
?
"I'd be bringing my dog and 3 year old paid off car with only 27k miles on it." jlz123
? But then said you didn't say that.

I do hope you get it all figured out and have a good time on Maui this summer

Old 05-17-2013, 04:43 PM

12 posts, read 16,294 times
Those weren't all in one sentence. But whatever. It appears I'm smarter and know significantly more about the process then the morons on this post. A majority of posters don't seem to live on Maui or have any idea about it!

Maybe you should learn to read and comprehend. All the low lifes on here focused on very odd things, and not one answered any of my marked, numbered, and bulleted items.....

I did not ask about mortgage rates, I did not ask about housing listings, I did not ask about Quarantine, I did not ask about shipping my car, I did not ask about rentals for dogs. I asked about specific job experience, social, and dating experiences. I did not see one response about this. Just excessive drivel about $350 rents vs. mortgages from a poster who clearly does not know Maui, or what he is talking about it.

I said when I return to the mainland where my car and items are in storage I'd then ship the car and a few items over.

Then, repeatedly I said the dog would be with me.

Old 05-17-2013, 04:49 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,974,188 times
Well, your #4 seemed to open the door to everyone.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,647 times
Default advice regarding your post and about the other posters on here

To start off with, a lot of the people on here are not legit. They either don't live in Maui, give poor advice/information, or want to argue with you.

1- Schools at the elementary level are okay and good. Middle school and High School might be dicey. Depends on where you land. Kahului and Wailuku might be more difficult, Haiku and other upcountry are good, Kihei is good. It really depends on where you came from. Vegas can't be a picnic, so I am sure you will be fine. The pay is average and the benefits are average. I don't know if they are hiring, but I do think we are opening a new school on the island shortly. You might have great co-workers, you might not like your boss. Again, it probably depends on the school. Some schools deal with great social issues and cultural issues specific to Hawaii. As far as social work, I have a friend who works for a program, but not the state. You will be busy as there are numerous social issues here such as drugs and domestic violence. I don't know of how the exact work environment in the office might be though. You do get decent benefits, but as you know average pay for Maui.

2- Dating again depends on you. For your age, it might be sparce, or there might be a majority of men who come here to 'escape' something and have no real direction in life. You might get lucky and meet a really great, hard working guy. Who knows. I have a great man who treats me well. I met him at a match event. My friend can't meet anyone. Chance I say.

3- Socially if you like the stated things you will find something to keep you busy outdoors. Great girl ideas are trying out cheap facials or massage at spaluna or upcountry makawao massage school. We have good and plenty nail shops. Shopping isn't the best, so go to Oahu for that. You can still find really pretty handmade jewelry though around the island. We also have several cute boutiques. However, if you are slim and average size a lot of sale items go fast.

As far as cost, if you have been here it's really not that bad. People exaggerate a lot. You can find good deals if you look. Go to farmer's markets. We have Walmart, Kmart, and Longs. I got soup for $1.50 and laundry detergent for $2.99 last week.

As far as rent, it will be around 1000 for a studio, and 1200 or so for a one bed. Sounds like you pay that now. You will get less for your money though, and probably not as updated as Vegas.

For your dog good that you are using Lahanina Animal Clinic. It's easy. You can do direct release without any quarantine. It will cost a few hundred dollars, but you seem to know that. The whole start to finish is 120 days, as I did it. As you know, your dog is with you during this time, not quarantined as shots are given and blood is drawn while she is with you.

The car is a toss up. If it's new, bring it when (and I"m sending you good karma) you move here. I got what you were saying. That if you move here you'd ship it. You could maybe find a car that is driveable for 2k during your long stay, but then you'd have to get insurance etc for it unless you want to chance two months without it which I don't recommend. But, then you have to deal with reselling it if you don't stay. I'm not sure on that one. But yes, it will be old and more than likely be missing a few pieces on it. If you have a low mileage well working paid off car, bring it for the final move. Look into inspection. My aunt lives in Vegas and I believe it has to not have any dark tint on it for it to pass, amongst other things. You can google this. Registration and car insurance are less on Maui than in Vegas, I asked my aunt.

Vrbo has 74 dog rentals now, but many are pricey. Check CL, don't wire money. You seem smart enough to know this. I did see the Haiku rental for $600 a week. Not bad, but still you might find cheaper. My thoughts are that if you are a nice person, get connected while here, ask around, have a job, rental history, and good credit you should be able to find something to rent with a small dog. It sounds like you are flexible to spend up to 1k or more a month. A lot of people here unfortunately make minimum wage, have several kids, a few pit bulls, and then expect someone to rent their disheveled and drug using self a home for $800 a month....get real!

You will do fine, and have yourself an adventure My aunt moved to Vegas from CA shortly after I moved from CA to Maui and she hates it. She reported all the same things about the area and people you did. My best of luck to you. If you want it to work out it will. Be true to yourself and don't listen to the crazy ranting weirdos on here sitting in an office in Seattle, Detroit or wherever; envious that you can up and leave and live in a beautiful place. Oh, and if you are smart and hard working you should be able to work part-time as well if need be. I will send you a direct email so we can talk and you will have a new friend here to connect with.

Aloha

Old 05-17-2013, 05:40 PM

6,390 posts, read 4,859,868 times
[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlz123 View Post
Those weren't all in one sentence. But whatever. It appears I'm smarter and know significantly more about the process then the morons on this post. A majority of posters don't seem to live on Maui or have any idea about it!

Maybe you should learn to read and comprehend. All the low lifes on here focused on very odd things, and not one answered any of my marked, numbered, and bulleted items.....
Are you sure you want to leave Las Vegas? It sounds like you are a perfect fit, based upon your description of it! Not much aloha spirit in your posts, here.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:40 PM

48,581 posts, read 35,023,106 times
I'll leave that first part of this thread because it contains information that some may find helpful. The rest has been taken care of.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Last edited by Mikala43; 05-21-2013 at 12:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui