Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 02:45 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,995,696 times

Advertisements

When I was at the Maui Onion Festival a few weeks back I just missed a bike fatality by only an hour. I don't know, it doesn't seem terribly bike friendly with the cars zooming by in that area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2013, 04:42 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,904,449 times
Seems that nobody in Hawai'i has asked WHERE you are in Australia. Most of Maui is rural. Kahului has the main airport, inter-island cargo port, main hospital, big box stores, car dealerships, etc. So Kahului is the center of Maui's commerce. (Nearby Wailuku is Maui County's seat -- Maui, Lana'i, Moloka'i, and Kaho'olawe islands -- thus the center of government.)

If you are in Sydney or Melbourne (or Perth or Adelaide, etc.), the whole island of Maui is probably more like, well, Hobart. I know that's not -- technically -- Australia, but only Honolulu is a/the major city in Hawai'i. (Check the population, etc. Maui is a major tourist destination, which inflates the temporary count, but fewer than 150,000 permanent residents in 2010. It's pretty close to Hobart, especially given that it's not adjacent to or the primary destination airport/port.)

Maui, despite its tourism name recognition, has few urban amenities when one lives here. Biking in most areas is on the shoulder of 2- and 3-lane roads with 25-45 MPH speed limits. Public transportation buses are MUCH better than when we moved 12 years ago, but hardly like any urban area I know of. (I lived in Metro DC for 25 years from 1979 - 2001.) Like any rural area, Kahului is the hub where one shops (other than for convenience), where one flies out of (except in very limited circumstances), and where the non-tourism jobs are (except for nearly-adjacent Wailuku, where many government jobs are).

Hard to say how difficult it would be for your partner to find career-type work, but I'd expect it might take a while to find her way to the right spot, where she feels challenged, adequately compensated, and like she's making progress in her field. Maui and Hawai'i are somewhat remote, so if you're in a very populous area, any job might feel like a step back in time.

That said, Hawai'i and Maui are wonderful and full of wonderful people. Most people who have been on the forum for a while strongly recommend a pre-move visit for as long as you can possibly manage to get a feel for the place. This would be a huge move for you guys, so I'd double that for you if possible. If not, I hope you have such a sense of adventure that you find living in a tropical paradise compensates for the predictable issues of uprooting and resettling.

Best of luck,

Whynot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui