Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 09:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,498 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are retiring from our school disrict in just a few weeks. We are both 52. We will start collecting on our pensions in September. Combined we will be bringing in around 8k a month. We also both have our 403b IRA school pensions that we can withdraw on starting at 59 and 1/2. We have a combined savings in those of 700k.

We'd both like to work part-time, or maybe one of us full-time. Maybe substitute teaching, and/or something out of education as we are frankly done after 30 years. Any ideas on this? I hear bad reports of HI schools.

I am bringing a Nissan Leaf electric car on the island. Any of these around? My wife will sell her camry.

We also have 2 Siamese and are looking into this. Any idea on cats on the island and the process for quarantine? I see extensive reports about dogs, but rarely cats.

We plan to keep our paid off mainland home in MI and return in the summer. Do you know if there are specific retirement areas on the island for 55 plus? Any condos or townhomes that are preferred? We vacation yearly in Wailea, but not sure we want to live there.

Likewise, I have heart and blood pressure issues maintained by my current life long MD in MI. My wife has diabetes. How is the medical service for these basic needs?

Hank Gettenberg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 12:03 PM

32,737 posts, read 48,366,038 times
There is not going to be much difference in the procedure or cost to bring a cat over. Rabies, blood titer, quarantine time, flights into specific airport and no others.

There is not going to be much difference in finding a rental. "No pets" means no pets ad cats are pets.

If those are indoor cats, that should be safe enough, but if they are indoor/outdoor cats, then you risk losing them if you let them outside in the 1st month or so. They will be upset and cats who are upset tend to change homes. That's a lot of money to move them, only to have them move in with the family at the end of the block.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:57 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,790,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haktak View Post

I am bringing a Nissan Leaf electric car on the island. Any of these around? My wife will sell her camry.

We plan to keep our paid off mainland home in MI and return in the summer. Do you know if there are specific retirement areas on the island for 55 plus? Any condos or townhomes that are preferred? We vacation yearly in Wailea, but not sure we want to live there.

Likewise, I have heart and blood pressure issues maintained by my current life long MD in MI. My wife has diabetes. How is the medical service for these basic needs?
Maui is the wrong place to bring an electric car. Electric rates are really high - about 35 cents/KWH. We paid 7 cents/KWH in Seattle. Get a Prius. Gas is a little more (10-20%) than the mainland.

My wife just retired from teaching and we moved to Maui but kept our house in Washington state. We spend 8 months in Maui, 4 months in WA. It is kind of a pain, to tell the truth. We now have 4 cars - 2 in HI, 2 in WA. Two sets of doctors. We have to hire someone to maintain the house we are not at while we are away. We have to haul all our important papers back/forth with us. And we have a dog so we have to deal with HI import/export restrictions (yes, you need to go through some steps even to leave with a pet), which costs hundreds of $$ each way just for the vet inspections and HI permits. Medical insurance for me is a Washington PPO plan with the preferred docs all in WA state, and HI docs are all out-of-network providers, which means I have a higher co-insurance rate for med care in HI. It is a lot of work and expense to do the snowbird thing.

As to docs - what I keep hearing from Maui friends is if you need hospitalization, go to Oahu. That includes outpatient surgery. My neighbor went to Oahu for a CT scan even. But I know they are making improvements here. There is a new cancer center just built on to Maui Memorial Hosp, and it is supposed to be state of the art.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:17 PM

17 posts, read 68,112 times
Yes, the local schools are very behind the rest of the world-

Twobyfour is right- don't bring your car. Electric prices will make you go broke.

Yes- your kitty will have to go through the same process as other pets. The process takes 10 months from start to finish.
You will have to come look at condo's in person. If it's not a retirement community, the trick is to visit late at night to see if they are quiet or a place for parties.

There are really good Dr's here on Maui, not good medical care. Minor things can be taken care of here, but anyone who is older and concerned about possible "emergency" situations might feel uncomfortable with the fact that they do not have facilities here for major things and you would have to be airlifted to Honolulu.

Wish you all the best!

Old 05-27-2013, 11:53 PM

1,730 posts, read 3,822,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifuljoon View Post
Yes, the local schools are very behind the rest of the world-
"Rest of the world"??

That statement simply is "not accurate". For those interested in further previous discussion on C-D about the public schools in Hawaii, use the search function for terms such as education, schools, etc.

Another way, for a more focused search, is to identify posters that seem to have first-hand knowledge of the Hawaii school system, and do a search of their postings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: