Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2009, 05:30 PM

266 posts, read 1,004,583 times

Advertisements

Saw a Hawaii travel film on the travel channel last night. I came away with the distinct impression that Maui was the number one island for retirement. It has everything: views, beach, services and lower costs.

Any thoughts from the locals or experienced visitors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2009, 07:26 PM

219 posts, read 572,247 times
I might not agree with lower costs, but it certainly has everything else. Every time we go, it gets harder to leave.

Old 06-26-2009, 08:52 PM

18,413 posts, read 19,072,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Den Mathias View Post
Saw a Hawaii travel film on the travel channel last night. I came away with the distinct impression that Maui was the number one island for retirement. It has everything: views, beach, services and lower costs.

Any thoughts from the locals or experienced visitors?

it does have views and beaches, not so much services and lower costs

Old 06-27-2009, 04:41 AM

9,329 posts, read 16,695,674 times
Depending on your situation if better medical care is one of your requirements, Oahu will better serve you. We seriously considered retiring to Maui, as we absolutely love the island and the people. Unfortunately due to medical care issues, island fever, and distance from family and friends, it wasn't feasible for us. So we visit for extended period each year.

Old 06-27-2009, 06:37 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,902,279 times
I agree with "Elwood." We are retired on Maui now, but we have agreed that if either of us had a serious health condition, we will leave the island for treatment, or possibly move to another state with better healthcare facilities. I would hesitate to call the cost-of-living on Maui "lower," too. Housing may be a little cheaper than Oahu, but many other things (food, gas, etc.) are often slightly more expensive. Retiring here is not like an endless vacation unless you have unlimited funds.

Old 06-28-2009, 03:10 PM

266 posts, read 1,004,583 times
Thanks for all the good posts. As for health care I thought Kaiser Permanente was on every island and if you had something major you went to Oahu.

Maui does seem to be more expensive. But, it has a more laid back feeling?

Old 06-28-2009, 06:26 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,902,279 times
Default Than What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den Mathias View Post
Thanks for all the good posts. As for health care I thought Kaiser Permanente was on every island and if you had something major you went to Oahu.

Maui does seem to be more expensive. But, it has a more laid back feeling?
More laid back that what? We're from the East Coast, and it's definitely "more laid back" (also less efficient, BTW) than that. It's "slower" and "more casual" than Oahu, but still not exactly comparable to the mainland places I've lived and/or worked.

It really depends -- to some degree -- upon where you're coming from and what you expect. As the bumper stickers say, "This ain't the mainland." Everything that's readily available in a mid-sized city on the mainland may -- or may NOT -- be readily available here. There's a plethora of some things and a dearth of others -- it really just depends on what you're looking for/counting on/expecting. Fortunately, I grew up in a very small, remote area of the East Coast, and am/was not as shocked as my partner, (who grew up in a fair-sized city). You learn your way around, you modify your expectations.

It's hardly privation, but it's not the same as living in/near a major metropolitan area unless you're willing to pay a great deal for shipping to shop online. (And wait for delivery.) The healthcare issues are not a minor consideration, either, as it is not a pittance to travel between or set up temporary residence on a neighbor isle. The quality of care is not as good as one might expect for even mainstream conditions/illnesses, either.

I do not mean to discourage, we love it here. Best wishes to you as you plan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui