Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:36 AM

280 posts, read 473,843 times

Advertisements

I am in the process of getting auto transport quotes from Minnesota. The first quote was $9,500.

The second quote was for 2835 that's from MN to Long Beach Port, and then Port to Maui. It does seem crazy that it costs almost 3k to ship a truck from the middle of the country to the pacific... but I suppose if that's what it costs.

My employer is paying with a maximum $ so I do need to be a little savvy so I don't go over.

This wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't planning on shipping a POD which was quoted at like $5,300 and I need to be ready to unload the POD in maui.

At that price I think a container might be cheaper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 11:53 AM

32,685 posts, read 48,217,712 times
I hope you are not finished price checking, because that all sounds high to me.

Of course, with the inflation that the government insists is not happening, the dollar buys less and less. So maybe the dollar has lost so much value that that is what it costs now.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:00 PM

You better believe I am getting more quotes. I know it takes me roughly 3 tanks of gas at $90 to drive my own truck to Long Beach.

Double what it would cost me to drive seems like a reasonable rate so I am willing to pay up to 1,000 to get it to the Long Beach port.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:26 PM

I have a question as well. Do I need to do anything specific process-wise at the Long beach port, or can the ground transport company handle the ground to port transfer.

I am presuming this is already a streamlined process.

Also, is there a specific insurance I should be getting for this transport?

Old 05-22-2013, 07:50 AM

I will answer my own question. Once you have setup a Matson Long Beach Port to Maui transport, matson provides a shipment number. The continental auto transport company will be able to complete the transfer to Port of Long Beach with that shipment number.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:24 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,695,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post

Also, is there a specific insurance I should be getting for this transport?
I suggest that you contact your car insurance agent. We didn't used a transporter when we shipped our car, we drove it to Long Beach ourselves. So I can't give you a specific answer, but I do know that we did not need additional insurance.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:19 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,079,226 times
A lot of mainland car insurance may not work in Hawaii, you may want to check that. And once your truck gets here, you're supposed to get a tax sticker on the bumper that says it's paid the road tax or whatever tax it is. You can keep your out of state license plates if you have the tax sticker. It will probably need a safety inspection, too, come to think of it.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
A lot of mainland car insurance may not work in Hawaii, you may want to check that. And once your truck gets here, you're supposed to get a tax sticker on the bumper that says it's paid the road tax or whatever tax it is. You can keep your out of state license plates if you have the tax sticker. It will probably need a safety inspection, too, come to think of it.

Thanks for the info. I have done some reading on the vehicle inspections threads as well.

Old 05-26-2013, 04:30 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,282,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post
I am in the process of getting auto transport quotes from Minnesota. The first quote was $9,500.

The second quote was for 2835 that's from MN to Long Beach Port, and then Port to Maui. It does seem crazy that it costs almost 3k to ship a truck from the middle of the country to the pacific... but I suppose if that's what it costs.

My employer is paying with a maximum $ so I do need to be a little savvy so I don't go over.

This wouldn't be so bad if I wasn't planning on shipping a POD which was quoted at like $5,300 and I need to be ready to unload the POD in maui.

At that price I think a container might be cheaper.
Have you thought about driving to California? I've never driven to southern California from the twin cities, but the Google search look like it takes about 28 to 32 hours, which would be about 3 days. It's about the same distance from the Minneapolis to Key West, FL, about 1900 miles. I've driven that trip 3 times, each time it took 3 days each way. The airfare would be cheaper from LA to Maui than from Minneapolis, so that might wash out most of the motel, meal, and fuel costs.

Another alternative might be to have someone drive the car to California for you. I don't know how much that costs or anything the risks and liability involved.

To me, driving long distances is a big hassle, and is sometimes a lot of stress. I think I would drive to Florida or southern California when I'm retired and have a lot of spare time, rather than fly and rent a car for extended snowbird stays. However, in your situation, if you have the 3 days, that might be worth it to save $1,500 to $1,800 depending on the driving verses car shipping and flying cost differences.

Old 05-26-2013, 08:01 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,781,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Of course, with the inflation that the government insists is not happening, the dollar buys less and less.
Not sure what you are talking about. Here are the inflation numbers published by the US Gov:
Consumer Price Index (CPI)

Looks to me like they are saying there is inflation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui