Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2013, 02:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,582 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have information on this condo? We are hoping to move to Maui and a condo here looked great online. Our realtor, however, says it is a "dump"? Anyone know anything about it? Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 02:17 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,995,696 times
A lot of the units are vacation rentals - so you are going to have to compete with a very transient group of people who are in vacation mode, don't have a vested interest to take care of the place/grounds, and compete with amenities like the pool.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:44 PM

569 posts, read 782,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
A lot of the units are vacation rentals - so you are going to have to compete with a very transient group of people who are in vacation mode, don't have a vested interest to take care of the place/grounds, and compete with amenities like the pool.
Viper,
The flip side of vacation rentals is that owners have a very real interest in keeping the place in top shape and enforcing all rules (noise, etc.) to ensure people keep coming back. Our condo is in a different complex and the owners/AOAO are really serious about holding up the value. In our place, I've noticed that the vacation renters tend to be a lot better neighbors than the long-term renters.

To the original poster,
I'm not familiar with this complex, but be aware that it's Central Kihei and the beaches there aren't very nice and the water is kinda yucky. If you're looking for something close to the beach where you plan on spending time, I think you'd be disappointed.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:51 PM

1,620 posts, read 2,308,266 times
Quote:
And get used to the sound of car alarms. Tourists in cars they are unfamiliar with coming home after midnight every night trying to learn how they work.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:31 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,995,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiPartTimer View Post
Viper,
The flip side of vacation rentals is that owners have a very real interest in keeping the place in top shape and enforcing all rules (noise, etc.) to ensure people keep coming back. Our condo is in a different complex and the owners/AOAO are really serious about holding up the value. In our place, I've noticed that the vacation renters tend to be a lot better neighbors than the long-term renters..
I hear ya - but there is always the inevitable hard core partied renter from hell.

Another downside of too many renters is many loan programs have certain owner occupancy percentage requirements for the complex to qualify for the loan.

Old 07-10-2013, 07:56 AM

Quote:
I hear ya - but there is always the inevitable hard core partied renter from hell.

Another downside of too many renters is many loan programs have certain owner occupancy percentage requirements for the complex to qualify for the loan.
Yeah, our place (Maui vista) has security patrols and they provide enforcement. Without that, it might be a problem.

The loan issue tends to be a bigger issue if places are rented out long-term. I think most owners are like us; it's a "vacation home" that we rent out when not using it as opposed to a pure investment property.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:17 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,112,534 times
There shouldn't be any loan issues since we really hope the OP wouldn't be buying anything without looking at it first, don't we all hope?

Old 07-11-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
There shouldn't be any loan issues since we really hope the OP wouldn't be buying anything without looking at it first, don't we all hope?
I actually bought my condo sight unseen.

Of course, we were very familiar with the complex (Maui Vista) and our Realtor was very familiar with our tastes and standards. She also sent us a ton of pics, including things we never would of thought of (like inside the fridge). It was a bit of a gamble, but we weren't able to get to the island right away and didn't want to let a good deal get away.

It had a happy ending (no, not that type of "happy ending", you perverts); there was a certain indescribable anticiaption/thrill to walking through the door the first time to a place we already owned...and it turned out the place was in better condition than we expected.

Old 07-11-2013, 04:22 PM

960 posts, read 1,223,795 times
If you are unable to see the unit yourself, and you are not intimately familiar with the complex, then I would recommend you trust your realtors advice. They are familiar with the area and building, so they are in the best position to advise you.

If you don't trust your realtors opinion, then go visit the place for yourself or hire a new agent.

At least that's what I would do.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,790,292 times
Buying something site unseen is crazy. You are talking about a lot of money, some of it unrecoverable even if you decide to sell the place. Let's say you pay 250k for a condo and then decide you don't like it. So you have to turn around and sell it, and pay 4-5% in fees and a bunch more in taxes. Figure on 10-15k in expenses to sell something you cannot stand. Flying over and taking a look, even for 2-3 days, is what, 2k? There are a lot of intangibles that go into whether you like a place or not, so how can you assess that without being there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui