Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 04:10 AM

337 posts, read 613,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
And the New England lobster harvests are so large right now, and the prices so low that the largest part of the cost of supply in the islands is probably the shipping, so it seems folly to try to grow our own... but who knows? That situation could reverse itself at some point and then the guy who is working out how to farm lobsters in Hawai'i might turn out to be a genius. We shall see.
Well the thing is with the lobsters from the mainland they tend to die, or the meat shrinks in transit. Even out of Kona the lobster die off in transit fairly often. So lots of smaller places use frozen tails, but the establishments with the big spenders want those live ones staring back at their customers.

There's a certain happiness that comes with walking into a fine dining establishment, going to the lobster tank, and picking out the one you want to eat that night. When we have as many rich tourists coming into town who like the extravagant, we have to offer that luxury service or they will find it elsewhere in the world.

Me? I'll skip the lobster and opt for some poke and rice, and some plate lunches and desert.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
as well as the popular nutritional supplement called blue-green algae.
I think more people would recognize it as Bioastin. imho.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:17 AM

Maui Prime Seafood has from their website: Maui Prime Fine Foods :: Fish & Seafood :: Lahaina Hawaii Gourmet Specialty Store

Penn Cove & Mediterranean Mussels
Manila Clams
Alaskan King Crab
Dungeness Crab Fry Legs
Dungeness Crab Meat

and the following oysters when available:
]Belon
Fanny Bay
Kumamoto
Kusshi
Skookum
Royal Miyagi
Shigoku
East Coast Varietals
Stellar Bay
Blue Point - Virginia
Shucked oysters also available

They are located in the industrial area around Star Noodle in Lahaina.

142 Kupuohi St. #F-7

And I was wrong on the name prior its not Carry n Eddy, its Cary Buttons. The former is for 'The Hideaway' restaurant in Kahului.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:29 AM

3,805 posts, read 6,362,456 times
Thanks, Mitch! Great info. You have been very helpful and I'm grateful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui