Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2013, 08:56 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,280,258 times

Advertisements

I am going to booking flights soon. I will take a round trip one stop flight from Minneapolis MSP to Kona KOA. Then I will stay on the Big Island for one week and take a round trip from Kona KOA to Kahului OGG and stay in Maui a little over a week.

The aircraft flying from Minneapolis to Kona is the normal jet aircraft I am used to taking. However, the aircraft between Kona and Kahului is a "Cessna light aircraft". The flight between the Big Island and Maui is only 42 minutes. I'm not sure if there is anything to be concerned about taking the "Cessna light aircraft". I did some flying years ago in a single engine Cessna around Minnesota with a friend who is a pilot. However, I assume that the aircraft is a larger twin, but still defined as a light aircraft. The airline I'm considering for the Kona to Kahului flight is either Go! or Mokulele, which appear to be operated by the same people.

Flights from Minneapolis to Kahului and Minneapolis to Hilo are quite a bit more expensive than Minneapolis to Kona. The flights between Hilo and Kahului are also quite a bit more expensive than Kona to Kahului. So, I think the best options for me is Minneapolis to Kona and Kona to Kahului, unless there are any other reasons that would not be a good idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 09:12 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,303,024 times
You can find both Go! and Mokulele Airlines on Yelp with more photos. I don't see any photos of small aircraft for Go! Air.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:47 AM

12,120 posts, read 17,932,685 times
Make sure you look at baggage limitations on the small planes.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:24 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I did some flying years ago in a single engine Cessna around Minnesota with a friend who is a pilot. However, I assume that the aircraft is a larger twin, but still defined as a light aircraft.
It's a Cessna Caravan 208B, a single engine turboprop with 9 passenger seats and a single pilot. It's a very popular and reliable regional commuter type aircraft, used all over the world.

Quote:
The airline I'm considering for the Kona to Kahului flight is either Go! or Mokulele, which appear to be operated by the same people.
They are separate airlines, at the present, which codeshare on reservations. Mokulele is based at Kailua-Kona airport. Go! is based in Honolulu, and is a regional brand for Mesa Airlines, based in Phoenix. They operate Bombardier regional jets with approximately 50 seats. It was reported in June that Larry Ellison, who had previously purchased the Island of Lanai and Island Air, had also purchased Go!

This page will show you the seating plans for both types of aircraft. go! Airlines - Seating Inter-Island Hawaii Airline

Quote:
Flights from Minneapolis to Kahului and Minneapolis to Hilo are quite a bit more expensive than Minneapolis to Kona. The flights between Hilo and Kahului are also quite a bit more expensive than Kona to Kahului. So, I think the best options for me is Minneapolis to Kona and Kona to Kahului, unless there are any other reasons that would not be a good idea.
I don't know if this is of any interest, but Mokulele was recently awarded the federal contract to fly scheduled flights between Waimea/Kohala and Maui. Those flights will begin Sept. 21.

Old 08-22-2013, 10:30 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,280,258 times
Thanks for posting a photo of the aircraft. I checked out Yelp! There weren't many reviews there, but all but one rated the airline very very poor. Yelp reviews of Hawaiian Airlines was a mix, some excellent, some poor and some in between. I realize that people have a strong motivation to post negative reviews rather than positive reviews on a site like Yelp! However, in this case, I think it would be better to use Hawaiian airlines for island flights, even though the cost is much higher and flights between the Big Island and Maui have to stop in Honolulu instead of a non-stop flight.

Old 08-23-2013, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
I realize that people have a strong motivation to post negative reviews rather than positive reviews on a site like Yelp! However, in this case, I think it would be better to use Hawaiian airlines for island flights, even though the cost is much higher and flights between the Big Island and Maui have to stop in Honolulu instead of a non-stop flight.
Funny, I read the Mokulele reviews (I found 7 reviews of 4 or 5 stars vs 5 of only 1 or 2 stars)* and I think just the opposite. They are much cheaper than the alternatives, and they are much more fun! Every seat is a window seat, the flight to Maui is only 40 minutes, but the scenery viewing is so much more gorgeous from under 8,000 feet altitude than from a jet.

But then again, I am a pilot, and I love, love, love to fly so I probably interpret the "negative" comments differently than you do. Matter of fact, I don't even count the "sweaty palms" one.

As I like to say, different strokes for different folks. Glad you got the answers you wanted.

*http://www.yelp.com/biz/mokulele-airlines-kailua-kona

Last edited by OpenD; 08-23-2013 at 12:37 AM..

Old 08-23-2013, 12:55 AM

9 posts, read 17,896 times
I know Hawaiian and Alaska fly to Big Island, and I think it's a much larger plane..... if that's your concern. I'd personally go MN to coast like San Fran, Seatle, LA or San Diego. Or Vegas. Lots and I mean lots of flights Vegas to islands, as they love it there. Allegiant flys direct vegas to hnl, and Oct direct LA to hnl. Spend the night and fly direct to Big Island. Or a long layover.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:22 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,056,268 times
Whoohoo! Kamuela to Maui! That should be fun! No need to go through Honolulu plus it's the fun little planes.

Old 08-23-2013, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Whoohoo! Kamuela to Maui! That should be fun! No need to go through Honolulu plus it's the fun little planes.
Exactly my thought! And no TSA check!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui