Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2013, 10:22 AM

2 posts, read 7,252 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving to Maui in a few months and want to ship my smart car over. Just curious.... how common are they on the island, and are there any smart service centers? From my research I know that there is a smart dealership in Honolulu, but I haven't found anything in Maui and before shipping it want to be sure that I would be able to get any needed repairs/services by people familiar with working on smarts. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2013, 10:49 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,827,955 times
Mercedes Benz of Honolulu and Mercedes Benz of Maui both list themselves as Smart Car Dealerships. The Maui location doesn't actually have any in stock, so it might be worth contacting them to see if they provide service. I Googled it, and found that there are maybe 5 SCs on Maui. If you seek service that is not under warranty, I'm sure there are many repair shops that could help you. Cars can be barged to Oahu if necessary.

Old 10-27-2013, 10:53 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,955 times
Try checking with the folks who own them on Maui. This Smart Car of America may be useful. Good luck.

Maui wowie - Page 3 - Smart Car of America Forums : Smart Car Forum

Old 10-27-2013, 11:03 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FollyPhotog View Post
Hi, I'm moving to Maui in a few months and want to ship my smart car over. Just curious.... how common are they on the island, and are there any smart service centers? From my research I know that there is a smart dealership in Honolulu, but I haven't found anything in Maui and before shipping it want to be sure that I would be able to get any needed repairs/services by people familiar with working on smarts. Thanks!!
I don't know about Maui, but I've seen one on the Big Island a number of times.

A while back another poster asked about service here and found out that minor service could be done at a Mercedes dealership, but that major warranty service would require barging it over to Honolulu. I don't know if that's still true.

I've driven Smart FourTwo cars many times on the mainland... both using the Car2Go carshare service in major cities, and driving one that a family member owns... and I like them a lot, in an urban environment, for quick dashes around town or for city commutes, on smooth streets.

But I wouldn't want one in Hawai'i, because there are just too many poor roads that a Smart car does not handle well. They have a rough ride in the best of circumstances, and Hawai'i roads are among the worst.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:12 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,276,325 times
Why are Hawaii's roads in bad condition? Hawaii doesn't have the cold and snow, plus the freeze/thaw cycles that destroys the roads. I don't know if there is a lot of heavy trucks wearing out the roads in Hawaii. Or is it caused by lack of periodic maintenance to keep the roads in good condition? If the roads are poor condition, is it because a lack of money or unwillingness to maintain the roads?

Old 10-28-2013, 12:46 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,432,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
Or is it caused by lack of periodic maintenance to keep the roads in good condition? If the roads are poor condition, is it because a lack of money or unwillingness to maintain the roads?
Yes, yes, and yes, at least on the Big Island.

Another factor in Hawai'i County is that a lot of roads are private roads. I can't find a reliable figure, but I've heard it said that only 1/3 of the road mileage here is maintained by the County. And state law prohibits the County from maintaining privately owned roads.

Main traffic arteries in population centers are generally fairly good, but that leaves a lot of secondary streets in many areas that are not so hot, and when there is a lot of rain it can wash out sides of the road and create potholes. I feel sorry for people on mopeds, because road shoulders can develop major fissures.

Anyway, my point was that a Smart Car is great in many ways, but it's notorious for having a harsh ride. Put one on a gravel road with potholes and it will become a milkshake machine.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:08 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,299,955 times
They now have a Hawaii County Smart Car available.

Monster Smart - YouTube

Old 10-28-2013, 06:52 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,509,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FollyPhotog View Post
There are very few of them on The Big Island. When one does come up for sale, it generally is listed at several thousand dollars below the general KBB and Edmonds "values".
Why? They aren't really that useful and do not get that good of mpg for the tiny size. Add in the lack of real service and parts availability and there you have it.
Sell it before you move and buy any of the Toyota, Honda, etc., small cars instead and ship it over. You will be ahead of the game then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui