Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2014, 07:47 PM

1 posts, read 1,334 times

Advertisements

Hi, I've been reading lots of informative threads here.
My question...moving from Florida to Maui...
My husband is an electrician/facilities supervisor at a college in Florida. I have been a Business Analyst & an Executive Assistant.
What are the chances of decent jobs?
I'm aware of the cost of living (it's high here in FL too), I've been to Maui twice (Lahaina), have family there, and we have talked about this for years...the ohana & aloha spirit, the climate, the laid back atmosphere...
job chances?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2014, 10:55 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,290,936 times
You could start by comparing the cost of living of somewhere on Maui to where you currently live. You'll then know how much more money you'll need to live there. Most jobs in Hawaii pay a lot less than most places on the mainland.

For us, we are close enough to retirement, it doesn't make sense the throw away good paying jobs with good benefits and pensions for unpredictable future jobs in a different area. You may also be trading your current jobs stability to be on the low end of the totem pole, where a layoff may be much more likely. There's a lot of risk if you currently have stable jobs now.

Have you explored the other islands? Decades also, I dreamed about moving to Maui. After visiting the Big Island, Maui, and Oahu recently, the choice of islands was clear to us right away. If we decide to snowbird or eventually move to Hawaii, it would be the Big Island. Several more visits are needed to be more certain. Whatever we decide, we will lower the risk of making a big financial mistake with more visits, snowbirding while renting for longer time periods, maybe eventually buying a property.

Moving to Hawaii during your working years has considerable risk. If you have family or good friends that have lived there for years, this could lower the risk a little. You need to keep your long term future in mind while making the decision. You need to save enough money for retirement. If you've been reading the forum for awhile, you will know the best option is to take your mainland job to Hawaii with you. It may take a six figure family income to live in Hawaii. Even people with six figure family incomes don't live a lavish life there, and may not be able to afford saving any money. Those that make less, may be struggling to live near the edge.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:00 PM

280 posts, read 474,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davephan View Post
You could start by comparing the cost of living of somewhere on Maui to where you currently live. You'll then know how much more money you'll need to live there. Most jobs in Hawaii pay a lot less than most places on the mainland.

For us, we are close enough to retirement, it doesn't make sense the throw away good paying jobs with good benefits and pensions for unpredictable future jobs in a different area. You may also be trading your current jobs stability to be on the low end of the totem pole, where a layoff may be much more likely. There's a lot of risk if you currently have stable jobs now.

Have you explored the other islands? Decades also, I dreamed about moving to Maui. After visiting the Big Island, Maui, and Oahu recently, the choice of islands was clear to us right away. If we decide to snowbird or eventually move to Hawaii, it would be the Big Island. Several more visits are needed to be more certain. Whatever we decide, we will lower the risk of making a big financial mistake with more visits, snowbirding while renting for longer time periods, maybe eventually buying a property.

Moving to Hawaii during your working years has considerable risk. If you have family or good friends that have lived there for years, this could lower the risk a little. You need to keep your long term future in mind while making the decision. You need to save enough money for retirement. If you've been reading the forum for awhile, you will know the best option is to take your mainland job to Hawaii with you. It may take a six figure family income to live in Hawaii. Even people with six figure family incomes don't live a lavish life there, and may not be able to afford saving any money. Those that make less, may be struggling to live near the edge.

I concur Davephan. We are not living a glamorous lifestyle at 6figures here on Maui but we are still saving 25% of our income...we would save more if it weren't for the high cost of housing which is a decision that is just best for us on Maui. You can find low-rent places to live of course but it is more difficult here on Maui. For me housing is bar none the most important aspect of a persons life. If you are not happy with your housing situation it is hard to prosper.

Old 01-28-2014, 09:00 PM

65 posts, read 97,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maui-intoxicated View Post
I concur Davephan. We are not living a glamorous lifestyle at 6figures here on Maui but we are still saving 25% of our income...we would save more if it weren't for the high cost of housing which is a decision that is just best for us on Maui. You can find low-rent places to live of course but it is more difficult here on Maui. For me housing is bar none the most important aspect of a persons life. If you are not happy with your housing situation it is hard to prosper.
I am absolutely agreed with you. Noting is more important than the place where you are living. If it is not comfortable, it is very hard to enjoy of Maui. It is easy to adjust any other expenses of living, but housing is the place where your soul is getting rest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui