Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2015, 10:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,964 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to Maui. I have a trade/skill (electronics repair) that I can make a living with and I use my hands to make living. I am sensing that something in my life needs to change and I have a friend who is a marine biologist in HI. Can someone give me a real deal perspective about living in Maui. I am 36, and I feel I have forgotten how to enjoy life, how to smile, and have fun. Any insight would be great.
Attached Thumbnails
777 in Maui-429923613.jpeg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 05:33 PM

569 posts, read 781,254 times
I think you need to be more specific that just asking for a "real deal perspective" about living in Maui.

I think most people would tell you that moving anywhere typically won't make someone happy if they're not already.

Old 05-06-2015, 02:51 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,065,938 times
It is pretty easy to smile in Hawaii, especially during vacations when you don't have to worry about the cost of living. If you can figure out how to get the numbers to work out, then living in Maui might be a nice change. Does your marine biologist friend live on Maui? Having someone to help the transition is really helpful.

I'm not catching much meaning in your title phrase, though. What's "777" mean? My friend uses that number sometimes, but I think she's referring to Boeing aircraft numbers.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:23 AM

1,620 posts, read 2,303,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
It is pretty easy to smile in Hawaii, especially during vacations when you don't have to worry about the cost of living. If you can figure out how to get the numbers to work out, then living in Maui might be a nice change. Does your marine biologist friend live on Maui? Having someone to help the transition is really helpful.

I'm not catching much meaning in your title phrase, though. What's "777" mean? My friend uses that number sometimes, but I think she's referring to Boeing aircraft numbers.
I believe in this case it's a jackpot number.

Old 05-11-2015, 01:01 AM

219 posts, read 300,197 times
Just word of warning, the locals don't like outsiders or them coming in to take their jobs. You will probably find your phone not ringing when looking unless you are applying for a job on Front St selling ice cream.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:26 PM

536 posts, read 484,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinar View Post
Just word of warning, the locals don't like outsiders or them coming in to take their jobs. You will probably find your phone not ringing when looking unless you are applying for a job on Front St selling ice cream.
I hear this a lot on these boards, but whenever I am there, I see non-locals working in tourism and customer service roles all the time.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:49 PM

42 posts, read 69,258 times
Basically, to live on Maui, you really need to want it. Anything less and Maui will chew you up and spit you out broke, broken and bitter.

Old 05-15-2015, 09:22 PM

219 posts, read 300,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teeej View Post
I hear this a lot on these boards, but whenever I am there, I see non-locals working in tourism and customer service roles all the time.

Yeah, and selling ice cream is part of tourism and customer service and someone has to do it. That someone will be you if you move there. And that's what you will be doing. You won't be a fireman, police, bank manager, 911 operator, real estate agent, etc. You can forget that. You will be working at a restaurant on Front St, or maybe in a hotel if you are lucky, and not much more than that. It's about a 90% guarantee you will be working in a retail store or a restaurant, 10% chance a hotel.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:05 PM

536 posts, read 484,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinar View Post
Yeah, and selling ice cream is part of tourism and customer service and someone has to do it. That someone will be you if you move there. And that's what you will be doing. You won't be a fireman, police, bank manager, 911 operator, real estate agent, etc. You can forget that. You will be working at a restaurant on Front St, or maybe in a hotel if you are lucky, and not much more than that. It's about a 90% guarantee you will be working in a retail store or a restaurant, 10% chance a hotel.

I applied to American Savings Bank on Maui and got a phone interview. With a California area code. I didn't expect it, but it happened.

Old 08-18-2015, 03:25 PM

7 posts, read 8,291 times
Moving to Maui is a big step, if you have skills you can do very well here. The cost of living is very high, the racism is even higher against anyone who is not a "local". It is difficult to find work because the apps always ask if your Hawaiian which means you wont get the job if a Hawaiian applies. But it is always worth the risk. Try it, if you love it stay, if not than what did you have to lose. People move here and stay and others leave due to individual reasons. I wish you the best in your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui