Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 07:55 PM

17 posts, read 28,360 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I received a great employment offer from Maui Memorial Medical Center. Human Resources told me that Kaiser is taking over the hospital on July 1, and I've read newspaper articles about it but I'm finding it hard to find any other details about it. HR assures me it won't be a "last hired, first fired" situation as my position had been vacant for two years. They also said salaries are likely to go up once the six month trial period is over. Anybody have any more info about the hospital?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 09:03 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,901,605 times
What specifically would you like to know?

Nobody really knows if the salaries will go up.

The hospital employees were all employees of the State of Hawaii. They've already been notified they get laid off by the State as of 7/1 and Kaiser is rehiring with the biggest change a drastic reduction in benefits and work rules - quite frankly it can't be business as usual as the hospital has been bleeding money for quite some time.

The other big change is managers were union at the hospital with State and moving forward they will not.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:05 PM

Well, I was just wondering what the word on the street was regarding the future of the hospital. What do you mean by a change in work rules? One of the articles I read mentioned Kaiser will be implementing time clocks for employees.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:13 PM

The hospital will be around for a very long time.

I'd start with the Governers website and read Kaisers proposal. As far as work rules, it will not be as "cushy" for employees

Old 02-27-2016, 08:15 AM

12 posts, read 17,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackshirts34 View Post
Hi all,

I received a great employment offer from Maui Memorial Medical Center. Human Resources told me that Kaiser is taking over the hospital on July 1, and I've read newspaper articles about it but I'm finding it hard to find any other details about it. HR assures me it won't be a "last hired, first fired" situation as my position had been vacant for two years. They also said salaries are likely to go up once the six month trial period is over. Anybody have any more info about the hospital?
Aloha,
I too received a call from HR regarding a FT Pharmacist position. They told me the same thing about Kaiser. Kaiser generally pays higher then government, it's also good job security since the employee union for Kaiser is quite strong. As I under stand it, Kaiser will be under contract to run MMMC for 10 years then have the option to renew. I guess the hospital (currently run by the State) has been operating at a loss so Kaiser is going to invest in it and try to turn it around. Kaiser is pretty big in the islands.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to accept the position due to timing. (I'm currently in CA with my current employer helping train my replacement) I was really bummed b/c I would have taken it in a minute. I hear good things about MMMC. HR told me there will be changes and growth once Kaiser takes over in July and they asked me to follow up with them mid-summer to check on the status of my resume and inquire about any possible new positions. I wish I was able to take that spot now.

anyway that's what I know. hope it helps. Mahalo

Old 02-27-2016, 10:39 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,162 times
For Kaiser to turn around MM it will have to cut costs and/or increase revenue. MM tried to increase revenue by creating new specialty clinics. Those have been operating at a loss for years and apparently some are being eliminated. The low hanging fruit to stop the bleeding of money is for Kaiser to cut costs which will largely translate to cuts in the HR side of things - perhaps some RIF'ing, cuts in benefits, or cuts in salaries. Once the staffing level is in proportion to the revenue they generate, Kaiser can look to grow the business. If it grows, they re-hire people. If not, staffing level stays where it got cut to. This is the standard procedure in the business world when a company buys another and "turns it around". This is what I would expect to see at MM for the near future.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
For Kaiser to turn around MM it will have to cut costs and/or increase revenue.
Exactly - the notion they will pay "better" is very misguided.

Costs are going to be cut significantly. Salaries will be comparable - benefits drastically cut. And, managers will not be in the union so all the cushy union benefits will go away for them also.

Raising revenue is a huge challenge in healthcare - you can't just charge more, insurance is highly regulated in Hawaii so Maui Memorial will need to gain efficiencies in staffing, IT (using more state of the art health record systems, etc).

This is going to be a new harsh reality for current employees at Maui Memorial.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/n...-could-be.html

Maui hospital faces funding reduction for poor ratings | Honolulu Star-Advertiser

Judge Rejects Maui Hospital Challenge - Civil Beat News

Old 02-28-2016, 09:46 AM

2,687 posts, read 7,408,147 times
Exclamation well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
The hospital will be around for a very long time.

I'd start with the Governers website and read Kaisers proposal. As far as work rules, it will not be as "cushy" for employees
Let me chime in here...as a former victim of the Maui Memorial Hospital HR debacle... the only 'cushy' jobs was the management staff, or, those who were related to someone in the management confimes in one way or another.

But, thanks for this tidbit of an update on this hospital. I've been wanting something to research... by 'change in work rules', I would imagine they will staff appropriately. It's about time this institution came to grips. Hopefully they will start at the top to dismember the hierarchy of this place. Good for Kaiser.
Koale

Old 02-28-2016, 09:27 PM

Thanks for all the info. I spoke to my future supervisor at MMMC and she said HR is currently doing all kinds of crazy hiring, trying to get their friends and family hired into positions they aren't qualified for, in an effort to get them in before Kaiser takes over. So there's been this influx of new hires, and the status of those of us on probation isn't known yet.

Fortunately, my position has been vacant for over two years and I am more than qualified for it, so I'm pretty confident that I will be able to stay on after Kaiser takes over. They currently have openings at their own clinic down the road that they can't fill, so while I'm taking a chance, of course, I'm hoping it will all turn out okay in the end.

Old 02-28-2016, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcerra View Post
Aloha,
I too received a call from HR regarding a FT Pharmacist position. They told me the same thing about Kaiser. Kaiser generally pays higher then government, it's also good job security since the employee union for Kaiser is quite strong. As I under stand it, Kaiser will be under contract to run MMMC for 10 years then have the option to renew. I guess the hospital (currently run by the State) has been operating at a loss so Kaiser is going to invest in it and try to turn it around. Kaiser is pretty big in the islands.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to accept the position due to timing. (I'm currently in CA with my current employer helping train my replacement) I was really bummed b/c I would have taken it in a minute. I hear good things about MMMC. HR told me there will be changes and growth once Kaiser takes over in July and they asked me to follow up with them mid-summer to check on the status of my resume and inquire about any possible new positions. I wish I was able to take that spot now.

anyway that's what I know. hope it helps. Mahalo

I decided to roll the dice and accept the position. Maybe we'll be coworkers in the future!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui