Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 07:37 AM

654 posts, read 630,371 times

Advertisements

Sounds like this onerous requirement has now been dropped by the mayor. Actually, in visiting Maui recently, it was refreshing to see how many people were disdaining "mask theater" and especially the outdoor version of this production. Even before the outdoor mask mandate was dropped, I would estimate less than 5% of people were performing the ridiculous act of wearing a mask outdoors, except in certain semi-outdoor venues where there are roofs but it was still essentially open air. Once the mandate was dropped, virtually no one was wearing one outdoors. Heck, I am seeing more people desperately clinging to mask theater here on the mainland at this point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 04:38 PM

219 posts, read 570,527 times
That's good to hear. We skipped our Maui trip this year, mainly because we didn't know what a clueless Hawaiian governor or mayor might do from one week to the next. We left Maui last year at about the time things were starting to lock down.
I hear what you're saying about the mainland. Here in northeast Ohio we still see the occasional mask user. Almost all restrictions are off and most everything is operating at full capacity, but there are still those who are clinging to their masks. But I guess that's their problem.
I would like to see Hawaii return to some degree of sanity. We love Maui and would like to return.

Old 06-14-2021, 12:41 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
"The Hawai‘i Convention Center has lost a lucrative 17,000-person American Academy of Ophthalmology meeting to Miami because the state could not guarantee what its COVID-related travel restrictions and social distancing requirements would look like next spring..."

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2021/...-restrictions/

Old 06-28-2021, 02:42 PM

1,462 posts, read 972,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
I'll have to keep an eye on this. We just booked our hotel for August.
Looks like vaccinated folks coming from US mainland won't need pre-arrival testing starting July 8th. Our trip is booked, so looking forward to Maui, but assume it will be crowded.

Old 06-28-2021, 02:56 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,897,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teqp View Post
it will be crowded.
Fixed that quote for you.

Make reservations for every single lunch/dinner you plan to have. The days of walk ins have long passed with capacity restrictions.

Old 06-29-2021, 11:03 AM

1,462 posts, read 972,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

Make reservations for every single lunch/dinner you plan to have. The days of walk ins have long passed with capacity restrictions.
Thanks for the information. I've heard the same thing from other folks.

Looks like Mama's Fish House is booked solid for lunch and dinner for all the days we'll be there. Hopefully the concierge at that hotel can get us in. We always go there for a meal.

Old 07-05-2021, 02:06 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,171 times
Well, everything back to 'normal' here on Maui; takes an hour and a half to get thru Paia , then Ho'okipa area in order to then fight the Hana traffic jam and get home in Haiku.

Personally, 2020 was the best, most magical year ; highway traffic and beaches were empty like the 80's.

I would take the dogs down to Wailea Beach and let them run around with no leashes with hardly anyone around. And the same with Ka'anapali Beach.

Old 07-05-2021, 02:17 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,558,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick St John View Post
That's good to hear. We skipped our Maui trip this year, mainly because we didn't know what a clueless Hawaiian governor or mayor might do from one week to the next. We left Maui last year at about the time things were starting to lock down.
I hear what you're saying about the mainland. Here in northeast Ohio we still see the occasional mask user. Almost all restrictions are off and most everything is operating at full capacity, but there are still those who are clinging to their masks. But I guess that's their problem.
I would like to see Hawaii return to some degree of sanity. We love Maui and would like to return.
I would suggest for anyone planning a trip to Maui to wait until the 'pent-up' demand subsides, and until there's more rent-a cars on the island.
Also, be aware that many hotels and restaurants lack employees and yet demand for services are at almost pre-pandemic levels.
I was enjoying the 4th yesterday at Andaz and the beach; guests were complaining they couldn't get restaurant reservations for their favorite sushi restaurant until AUGUST!!

Old 07-05-2021, 02:19 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post

Virtually every restaurant is limiting their own capacity because of a lack of employees.

Help wanted signs are everywhere. Many people are not going back to work until the $300 per week "bonus" unemployment ends.

Old 07-05-2021, 02:23 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
I would suggest for anyone planning a trip to Maui to wait until the 'pent-up' demand subsides, and until there's more rent-a cars on the island.
Also, be aware that many hotels and restaurants lack employees and yet demand for services are at almost pre-pandemic levels.
I was enjoying the 4th yesterday at Andaz and the beach; guests were complaining they couldn't get restaurant reservations for their favorite sushi restaurant until AUGUST!!
Hawaii, Florida, Las Vegas, and the National Parks are being inundated by visitors who would normally travel abroad.

Usually this lets up after Labor Day Weekend. Not this year!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui