Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 10:44 AM

210 posts, read 972,416 times

Advertisements

If you want to enjoy nightlife, you should move to Miami, not to Molokai!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2008, 06:20 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,577,701 times
Was at the bar at the Pau hana Inn on Molokai one night, waiting for the guys to show up for dinner. Had a few beers, the guys were late, had a couple more. the cocktail waitress was very cute, kind of looked like a Hawaiian Jamie Lee Curtis, just not quite as well "endowed", as it were, and was smiling at me a lot.
The guys finally show up from the project I'm woking on, one of them is local, Teddy Dudoit, born and raised on Molokai, was the star of Molokais high school team a few years earlier, knew absolutley everybody!! Couldn't walk down the street in Kuanakakai without people stopping to say hello and talk a little story. Anyways, dinner, a few more beers, the cocktail waitress is being awfully nice to me, so I tell the guys, "Think I'll ask her out", Teddy, "Wouldn't do that", me "Why not?", Teddy, 'Dats not what you tink brah, dats not one wahine.......IS ONE GUY!!" As I said, Teddy knew everybody, and she, he, whatevahs, the cocktail waitress obviously knew him, they talked about baseball a bit. But you know, if I had just a couple more beers in me, probably would have asked her, he, whatevahs out anyways.I know it is rather odd, but Molokai does seem to have a rather large transvestite, mahu, population. Another Molokai story, good friend of mine, Tommy Awai, big Molokai family, I knew him from tending bar together on Maui back in the seventies, he's just out of high school on Molokai, is working way out on the west end, meets this beautiful girl, falls in love, wants to marry her. Finally tells his mom about the situation, mom asks the girls name, Tommy tells her, and mom says, "You can't marry dat wahine Tommy, shes ohana, (family), cousin on my side of da family!!!! Poor Awai was heartbroken. Yep, Molokai, probably the last true Hawaiian Island, hope it stays that way!!!!!!!

Aloha

Old 08-08-2008, 02:00 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
Well, there's nightlife on Molokai but it's more along the line of slide bait shore fishing and pig hunting than bar hopping. Maybe you just need some new hobbies?

And don't forget okolehau! Hoo-whee!

Old 08-08-2008, 07:09 PM

Not to steer this thread in the wrong direction, but I don't think anyone makes Okolehau any more. I know when tending bar on Maui back in the seventies, it was kind of a required "must have at least one shot", deal for the tourists, kind of like Primo Beer was, and sometimes the Okolehau would be quite good, and the next bottle, Auwe pilau, as in no good,, of course Primo Beer went the same way, some good, some bad........Now, if you wanted something really different back then, and can still get it today, try a little Awa juice, just don't plan on going anywhere for a while..................

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 08-09-2008, 12:01 AM

11,053 posts, read 24,053,862 times
Never knew you could get it in bars, it was something the aunties & uncles always laced the pineapples with on Lanai. I have heard there is somewhere on Maui which is supposed to be making it commercially again, although I haven't seen any for sale in the store. Maybe some okolehau will be her answer to night life on Molokai, do you think?

Old 08-09-2008, 12:32 AM

Once again, a little off track, well, maybe not, this does concern nightlife on Molokai and Maui........Think someone was planning to start making Okolehau on Maui again, number of years back. They were going to setup in Puunene, but never got started. Lack of funds maybe??? No knowledge as to how to make decent Okolehau???? Who knows, just never happened. I'm a pretty skilled homebrewer myself, may just have to give brewing, and then distilling Okolehau, a shot. If someone were to make it locally, there wouldn't be a bar on the Island, that being Maui, or statewide, that wouldn't carry it. I know back in the seventies we used to go through quite a bit of it. Heck, if Primo Beer is back, which it is, haven't tried it yet, then Okolehau should be next. Of course, the Awa juice is a totally different matter. Had some at a luau here on Maui years back, nobody told me what it did to you, Hawaiians have been using it for years for various ailments, primarily joint pain and toothache, I had the requisite cup or two, and just sat there, under a Plumeria tree, for a few hours, couldn't move, and didn't seem to mind!!!!!! Anyways, for Molokai, i would highly recommend an Okolehau/Awa cocktail!!! To deal with the nightlife that is, you can always arrange to have someone load you into the back of their truck and cart you down to the pier at Kauanakakai for the pau 9:00 PM parties....................

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 08-09-2008, 10:43 AM

399 posts, read 1,550,879 times
Default Oahu is the party place...

Please...please...please don't let them ruin Molokai like some places...Not that Hawaii is ruined by any means, but am sure some of the locals would not agree. At least you are more in tune with nature unlike the urban sprawl of the West in the Mainland.

Next time I come visit Hawaii, I must check out Molokai, cause...

"I like the gecko...singing in the night...."

Ha ha! Man I miss the real islands...

Old 08-09-2008, 06:07 PM

Now geckos, there's something to spice up your nightlife on Molokai!!! Old friend of mine, Hawaiian guy, used to live in one of the sugar cane camps in Paia when growing up back in the fourties. No TV, only radio, but the big entertainment was putting a lantern by the front window, would attract bugs, which would in turn attract the geckos, the geckos of course would be going lolo, as in nuts, eating the insects. So, my buddie, his brother, sisters, mom and dad would place bets on which gecko would get the most bugs, would have liked to have been here back then. I've got a few geckos in my place that are on a schedule of sorts, they take off out through the screen door every evening at about the same time, and have a little conversation with me. They'll be going across the wall, I'll chirp at them, you know the sound, and they actually chirp back!!!! Wish I knew what I was saying, I have my Hawaiian language dictionary, wonder if they make one for Geckoese??????

Aloha and okolemaluna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui