Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2008, 07:25 AM

7 posts, read 38,515 times

Advertisements

Moving soon to Moloka'i and wanting to know what kind of nightlife and clubs there are on the island or on Maui if none here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2008, 12:38 PM

14 posts, read 36,971 times
As far as I know, none. You may have a restaurant-bar type but nothing really. For Maui - Lahaina has some places for dancing, Kihei side may have one that I know of called Ocean's. Good luck on your move.

Old 08-02-2008, 01:25 PM

ok that sucks... you would think there would be more clubs with all the tourists and all.

what about liqour stores ? they at least have them ?!?

Old 08-02-2008, 03:54 PM

20 posts, read 86,409 times
No offense...... but have you done any research at all on Molokai?? It is Hawaii 40-50 years ago. GREAT place for natural peace and relaxation but not "tourist" town by any means......literally one street, one stoplight town. Awesome beaches though.......I'd do some digging about Molokai if I were you..............

Old 08-02-2008, 05:58 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,720 times
I didn't want to weigh in here first, but I can tell you (again) that Moloka`i probably is very similar to Wise, nightlife wise and otherwise. There are very few restaurants and there is very little retail in general. There are also very few tourists. Liquor, however, you can buy in the grocery or drug stores. (Yes, hard liquor -- that's how we do it here.)

Maui is much more tourist-centered, and has lots of restaurants with live music, but not very many clubs. Most things shut down around 10 with a few exceptions. Honolulu (on Oahu) is very much the center of nightlife, clubs, and after-hours spots. The best online resource I can point you to is the Maui News's weekly (Thursdays) music column, which lists entertainment. MUSIC - Maui News Once you're here, there are a couple of local weekly papers that also cover the arts and entertainment. The schedules and locations vary from season to season.

Old 08-02-2008, 06:06 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,570,789 times
I'ld have to agree. I've worked over there in the past, and the locals, as in Hawaiians, want it to stay the way it is, don't want it to turn into another Waikiki or Kaanapali, and I can hardly blame them. As far as night life is concerned, when I was working there, stayed at the Pau Hana Inn, would have dinner there, a few beers, the place would close around 9 pm, and all the "regulars", would make there way to the pier at Kuanakakai, and the party would go on into the night, coolers and cases of beer showing up everywhere. I would be invited to go along because I was working on a project in town that would end up benefitting everyone on Molokai. Anyways, I wouldn't recommend it as a place in Hawaii to move to, especially directly from the mainland, you probably wouldn't be happy...

Aloha

Old 08-02-2008, 09:07 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,999 times
I, too, was just staying away from this one ... but when the O.P. wrote "that sucks" showing disappointment, I have to chime in. Molokai is known, for some unknown reason, as the "Friendly Isle". It is NOT ... to outsiders anyway. I have spent time there. I like it and respect its residents' isolationism. You will find NOTHING to do there except quiet, natural activities, ALONE. NO nightlife. NO tourism (other than day-tripping tourists from Oahu flying over to ride the mules down to Kalaupapa ... and they fly back the same day).

I believe I read in a previous post by the same OP something to the effect that you would only be there a few months? Bring books. Relax. Then move on to Lanai which is even quieter. Bring more books.

If you are unaccustomed to living in near TOTAL isolation in forests or deserts, where the few locals around make you uncomfortable, you are about to enter the "Twilight Zone"

Shopping? heh, oh no ... even shopping for food will leave you appalled and eating canned SPAM. NO options. Horrible produce. Dangerous looking meats. uh oh, if you are not adventurous

Good luck. ... Oh, and btw, beautiful, isolated beaches on Molokai, yes ... but nearly nothing suited for swimming, and NO lifeguards anywhere on the island ... careful.

Old 08-03-2008, 06:08 AM

Sorry to make it sound as if we came out that Moloka'i is a bad island .. I'm sure in its own way its what the locals want a peaceful beautiful island. Just was a little disappointed when we found out not much to do there. Here in wise is same way people come here to grow old and die.. thats about it. Nothing to do.

But as said above ya we will only be on the island for about 3 months so we can at least enjoy the sites and move on.. was only hopping to move somewhere we could enjoy the nightlife Agni as me and my spouse are both city night owls at heart..

Old 08-03-2008, 06:16 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,720 times
I love Moloka`i. It really is beautiful and the people have been very friendly when I've been there. Some of my most memorable evenings in Hawai`i have, oddly, occurred there. Once, when we were having dinner at the Hotel Moloka`i (a very casual place by any standards), some locals came in and the evening turned into a spontaneous luau to greet some paddlers who'd come in from Kaua`i. People started trouping in with their ukulele, guitars, and a stand-up bass -- everybody was singing and chatting. The music and aloha were amazing, right there on the water under the stars -- it was magical, like something in a movie.

Maybe after or during your time in Maui county, you can get over to Honolulu where -- I guarantee -- you can party all night. In the city. To your hearts' desire.

Last edited by whynot?; 08-03-2008 at 06:50 AM..

Old 08-03-2008, 08:10 AM

7,150 posts, read 10,894,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
I love Moloka`i. It really is beautiful and the people have been very friendly when I've been there. Some of my most memorable evenings in Hawai`i have, oddly, occurred there.
A little qualification on my previous post regarding the term "Friendly Isle" ... I agree with whynot?'s post above that Molokai IS beautiful and the people ARE friendly — to some visitors and each other. What I could have written better is that the people on Molokai are NOT open and friendly to typical tourists and prospective developers and non-Hawaiian prospective residents. For the most part they are very very slow to warm up and will tend toward ignoring casual visitors ... even some 'stink-eye' thrown in at times for good measure.

But if you are there as a low-key guest, enjoying life Molokai style you may well have a very nice time — including with a few locals.

It is, in summary, NOT your typical Hawaiian vacation spot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui