Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2008, 08:07 AM

4 posts, read 8,925 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm from Argentina and actually I'm planning to move to Hawaii during our summer holidays (you winter, from dec'07 to april'08) to work as a cook within a resort or a restaurant.

Last summer i've been in Vail and i really liked it except for the snow and the cold cold weather, so this time I was thinking in a hotter place and here comes hawaii...

I have sent some mails to the main resorts and I'm waiting for a telephone interview with the Sheraton Maui (Kaanapali Beach).

I have read many of the topics here, like up to the 6page or the 7th, and many links, but I would like to know if it's possible to work as a cook within a resort or restaurant and to "live" in Hawaii.

Does anybody knows how much is a cook earning (working in restaurants or resorts, a full time job)? And does anybody knows if the resorts in Kaanapali beach provide some type of affordable housing for their seasonal employees? I'm gonna ask this two question to the people of the Sheraton when they call me but I would like to know from others too...

In the other hand, is it possible to save money with this kind of experience? Just 4 months, from december to april, working in a full time job, eating the cheapest, not expending too much and having a great time?? I don't pretend to come back with a lot of thousands, but I would like to recover the money I've invested (within 3000 and 4000 dollars) and also live the four months.

Thanks for you time, sorry if some parts of the post are a little messy, it's just that english is my second language (we speak spanish here).

Francisco.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 08:09 AM

One last thing!!

Also I'm interested in working in a Cruise, is it possible to go to Maui and get a job onboard or for this it's better to be somewhere else like Florida??

Just to know...

Old 08-06-2008, 10:04 AM

1,046 posts, read 4,904,134 times
I know several cooks in Lahaina. Most either live in shared housing rooms or are locals who live with family to reduce costs, but they definitely "live" here. The only potential problem I see is the fall-off in tourism. December is typically a slow month, but things start to pick up in January. This year, however, nobody really knows what to expect, so people may be slow to hire.

Hotels (and other accommodations -- condos, etc.) are complaining about low occupancy and laying off employees. Airlines continue to raise prices and cut flights. People here are really worried about the coming months, the next few years. Same is true for cruises, which have been cut by almost half, I think, statewide during the past year.

I don't mean to discourage you at all, I just want you to know the kind of economic worries that are prevalent here. If you can get a commitment from a resort and find a place to live within your budget, that's great. Because of the initial expense of getting here, I'd follow up with the resort/potential employer regularly to be sure they will honor their offer. Things really are that much in flux right now.

Good luck.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:39 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,930,309 times
Also not to discourage, but to be honest. One of my sons came to live with us in Hawaii a few years back and had cooking experience. He did get jobs in Honolulu, but the pay was dismal. Everywhere he looked he found the same low pay. Cooking is a service job. Service jobs in Hawaii turn over frequently and are a dime-a-dozen. I would be surprised if you are hired at a distance because this (cooking ... other service positions) is a common dream: to work in Hawaii and set up there. Hotels and restaurants are inundated constantly with such requests from the mainland. If you DO manage to get hired, you will not make enough to even rent a room without sharing with others.

Hawaii is a tough tough tough nut to crack the way you are hoping.

Good luck.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:16 PM

Thank to boths.

About the low flow of tourism the people from the Fairmont told me that and almost everybody told me to call or get in contact closest to the date, the only one who showed interest now is the Sheraton Maui but if it's as you say I guess I'll better consider going to Florida (Miami or Florida Keys)...

Is there too much difference from last year? or from previous years?
Because all the persons that we have met that have gone to Hawaii last year (dec'07 to april'08) were very happy with everything..

Thanks again and I'll go on searching and getting info.

Old 08-06-2008, 01:32 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,904,134 times
Official HTA (tourist bureau) reports that occupancy was off on Maui about 10% in June. Friends in the industry told us theirs was off 20% in July and that November reservations were off by about half where they usually stand at this time of year.

Prices for flights to the mainland have about doubled, and if you search dates into '09 are even more expensive. CNNMoney has an article online today about how the modest declines in oil prices don't touch the airlines' fuel miseries.

Friends who own restaurants have noted a decline in reservations, an increase in cancellations, and more people sharing dishes and not ordering cocktails or bottles of wine.

All the local info is casual, but from a broad range of properties and prices. Things definitely feel "slow" here, and locals are not terribly optimistic about when they might "turn."

Wish the news was better. Really.

Last edited by whynot?; 08-06-2008 at 01:55 PM.. Reason: clarification.

Old 08-07-2008, 01:32 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,108,887 times
Restaurants in the Kona district on the Island of Hawaii have been closing left and right. Some of these are old established places, too, not just new restaurants that just started up. Tourism is way down and the vog (sulphuric volcanic fog) is chasing away even more visitors.

Hotels and restaurants on all islands have been cutting back staff or closing so I would think if anyone was hiring, they would give preference to folks who already live here and have local families to feed. Also, these are islands and everyone knows everyone. Most places get filled with folks recommended or related to the other folks working there.

Old 08-08-2008, 08:04 AM

Thanks to everyone: I'll wait until taking with the people of the Sheraton and then I guess I'll decide what to do.

I hope that the situation gets better.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui