Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2008, 03:51 PM

820 posts, read 3,038,775 times

Advertisements

For those of you considering relocation to Maui, here are some helpful websites. Other residents feel free to add your own favorites!

Maui County, HI - Official Website
The Maui County newly redesigned official website - There is no City government here, County is the first level before State.
This well done site has the usual information on business permits and taxes, also bus schedules, local news, civil defense announcements. It's a great site. You can look up a whole lot of useful information here, or find the phone numbers of the departments to call. Here are a few of the most helpful to newbies:
Maui County, HI - Official Website - Bus Service & Schedule Information - bus schedules & info
Aloha and Welcome to Expeditions - ferry from Maui to Lanai (run by a 3rd party)
Maui Molokai Ferry, Molokai Princess Kaluakoi Golf Course Golf Package - ferry from Maui to Molokai

Kahului Airport (OGG) (http://www.state.hi.us/dot/airports/maui/ogg/index.htm - broken link)
Maui's Kahului (OGG) airport official page

www.hawaii.gov
Hawaii's State official website, for information on the next level up of government. Here there are links to animal quarantine policies, taxes, vessel registration, etc.

Maui News
The Maui News newspaper online - I made this my home page for a couple of years before I moved. You can read local news stories, see reader feedback, and find out about local events. Even the ads will tell you about the businesses running on the island. You won't read much about the mainland, but you sure will get a slice of Maui news life.

Maui Arts & Cultural Center
The Maui Arts & Cultural Center (MACC) - Look here for events they host, concerts, art exhibits, etc. Some free, many not.

Maui Film Festival: Weekly Films & Annual Film Festival in Wailea, Maui, Hawaii
The Maui Film Festival - it's not just in June anymore, although that is the big event. Much of the year the MFF runs independant and interesting films at the MACC theatre. Look here for listings and information.

Aloha From Maui
The Maui Vistor's Bureau - offers a calendar of events.

Calendar Maui - Maui's Most Comprehensive Community Events Calendar - Home Page
Another Maui event calendar, often more complete than other locations

Hawaii Region
Want to know if Hawaii has earthquakes? This page of the US Geological Survey site shows a graphic of recent earthquakes, showing location, magnitude, and how long since they occurred. I go here if I think I felt a quake.

Natural Hazards - Hurricanes
Hurricanes - Also on the USGS site, here's where you would read about incoming hurricanes, and be able to track their progress & size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2008, 07:25 AM

156 posts, read 806,505 times
I would add some more web sites with tourist information:
Maui - The Island of Maui - The Valley Isle
Maui Windsurfing - Blog, Videos, Photos and Information about Maui Windsurfing
Kula Lodge & Restaurant (Kula Maui) - Upcountry Maui Lodging, Dining & Shopping

Old 11-04-2008, 07:44 AM

1 posts, read 4,775 times
thank you for all that info. I am moving there in December and its so hard not to listen to everyone that has negative comments to make its nice to see someone with helpful info. Thanks again

Old 11-04-2008, 11:16 AM

Hi Diana,

You are very welcome, and soon to be welcome to Maui!

Don't be discouraged. If you stand around in any group, there will always be some who focus on the negative, or the drama. As you have found, you decide your own attitude, and what is useful or not.

Be sure to ask any questions you have pre-move or even after. There are lots of helpful people on here who will give what they can.

After all, a happy successful transplant makes for a happier neighbor!

Where are you moving to on Maui?

Old 11-06-2008, 08:22 AM

90 posts, read 469,036 times
Pacific Business News (Honolulu): Local Business News

Watching the Business Journal's Pacific Edition is a great way to follow the economic trends in the Islands.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:54 PM

242 posts, read 1,188,198 times
Default Helpful Maui Websites

C.S. Do you live on Maui? I lived there for 21 years.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:15 AM

Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapalua View Post
C.S. Do you live on Maui?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui