Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2008, 09:06 PM

37 posts, read 126,497 times

Advertisements

Which areas in Maui are considered more upscale? My girlfriend and I are looking for a reasonably priced condo but do not want to be spending most of our salaries just to live in a nice condo. In Los Angeles, you can pretty much get to most places within 20-30 minutes if there is no traffic. Is it the same amount of time on the island? I would like to find a job and place to live not to far from each other. We plan to move out there before the end of next summer with enough money to get us through at least three months without working. I have no debt besides student loans. Does this plan sound like we can survive until we find a job before the money runs dry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 09:20 PM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,569,617 times
Actually, the most effluent areas on Maui are by the sewage treatment plants. Sorry, couldn't help myself!!! If you're on a tight budget, you could probably get a REAL nice condo in Kapalua or Wailea, two really pricey spots, for about $1500............A WEEK!!! I'ld try Lahaina, Kihei is nice but more and more crowded, Iao Parkside in Wailuku has reasonable rents, and would be close to work if you work in town. Thats really kind of a key thing here these days, you definitely want to be close to the job, price of gas, traffic and all. I'm at the Kihei Alii Kai, above Kamaole Beach 1, great spot, nice and quiet, check it out. Kihei Regency is also pretty good, and the rent isn't too lolo, as in crazy. Ono La'ki.......good luck!!!

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 09-08-2008, 09:48 PM

Appreciated.

Old 09-09-2008, 12:45 AM

820 posts, read 3,034,451 times
Hi hermandie,

What kind of jobs will you and your girlfriend be looking for?

Lahaina has a lot of jobs with the resorts, and there is also now a new mall with stores opening. But driving from Lahaina to Kihei or Wailea or other parts of the island will take you more than 20-30 minutes. It's a 2-lane highway, beautiful route but maddening if you are in a hurry in lots of traffic or if there is an accident locking up the road for a couple of hours.

Kihei has some nice condos, and lots of not-as-nice too. Wailea is more upscale and you easily drive into Kihei for your shopping. Wailea has the resort for the South side, Kihei has retail jobs, real estate, etc. Maui Meadows has some more upscale houses with ohanas if you don't need to have a condo.

Kahului is central to the island, and has the airport, mini & big malls, and industrial work. Avoid Harbor Lights condos.

Wailuku is older town, and has the government jobs plus industrial.

Paia is quaint but getting developed and has smaller shops.

Upcountry Kula, Pukalani, Makawao - some agriculture and scattered stores, but a lot of people commute down the hill to work in the other areas. Long drive, lots of gas going up & down the 3k climb.

Maui won't be like LA in that you can't get everywhere that quickly. Not only do people drive more slowly, but there are fewer lanes. However I'm guessing that is one of the things that you want, or else you are making a mistake in moving here.

Old 09-09-2008, 03:59 AM

29 posts, read 131,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
Actually, the most effluent areas on Maui are by the sewage treatment plants. Sorry, couldn't help myself!!! If you're on a tight budget, you could probably get a REAL nice condo in Kapalua or Wailea, two really pricey spots, for about $1500............A WEEK!!! I'ld try Lahaina, Kihei is nice but more and more crowded, Iao Parkside in Wailuku has reasonable rents, and would be close to work if you work in town. Thats really kind of a key thing here these days, you definitely want to be close to the job, price of gas, traffic and all. I'm at the Kihei Alii Kai, above Kamaole Beach 1, great spot, nice and quiet, check it out. Kihei Regency is also pretty good, and the rent isn't too lolo, as in crazy. Ono La'ki.......good luck!!!

Aloha and okolemaluna
I google it :
Lolo Buggah: A stupid or crazy guy
Ono: Delicious; delightful ; groovy.
Okole maluna!: Bottoms up! Cheers!

Old 09-09-2008, 06:53 PM

60 posts, read 175,043 times
whats close to the hospital???

Old 09-09-2008, 07:18 PM

Iao Parkside, Maui Lani, there's some condos, just down from the hospital, forget the name, but would probably put you within walking distance. If you're going to be working at Maui Memorial, just give them a call, I'm sure they would be more than willing to help you find a place nearby.

Aloha and okolemaluna

Old 09-09-2008, 09:07 PM

12 posts, read 50,984 times
Default relocating to Maui this December

Hello I was just reading some of your blogs and advice to people who are moving to Maui. I am so blessed that me and my partner will be relocating there this December. Actually she is going down there about a month earlier so she can set us up. We are shipping two cars and two cats. This is a big move. We work in state government so jobs won't be hard to find as I have been doing my research How long have you lived there? Kim

Old 09-09-2008, 10:50 PM

Thanks Calico. That was very informative.

Old 09-09-2008, 11:01 PM

Been here, on Maui, since 1975. It's changed, dramatically, over the years, I guess that's inevitable. I do remember what it used to be like, little traffic, no hotels in Wailea, plenty of Aloha, folks not in a hurry, all malia, as in relaxed. Sorry to say, it's not like that any more. Oh well, get on my racing kayak, paddle out a few hundred yards, run into one of the Lifegaurds out paddling, sit and talk story for a while, thats old time Maui for me, you still can't beat it. Can't even imagine living on the mainland, haven't been there in almost ten years!!!

Aloha and okolemaluna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui