Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2013, 12:17 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,559,642 times

Advertisements

I can see your thinking of leaving doors unlocked so 'criminals' don't break windows,
replacing windows cost time and money, time you could be at the beach!!
But at the same time if one has a half decent car audio radio, it would allow criminals quicker access to take out, and not draw attention to the criminal act that smashing a window would draw...
On that note wondering if a audio component would fit in a car safe.....
Or mabey I should just go all out and get a car alarm....ugh

The whole idea of spending time at the beach is to de-stress!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 12:24 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,910,958 times
Beach break in is a smash and run, they aren't looking for your car radio - they really want a backpack, ipad, CD's, etc....

Old 01-21-2013, 12:28 PM

Ahhh, anything not bolted down....leave at home...good advice..thank you

Old 01-21-2013, 12:31 PM

And, I've never seen a break in at the beach, way to many people - hiking spots, parking garages, street parking - those are the places I've seen plenty of broken glass.

Old 01-22-2013, 03:39 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
I can see your thinking of leaving doors unlocked so 'criminals' don't break windows, replacing windows cost time and money, time you could be at the beach!!
I would think that would be obvious, but there's broken glass in the parking lot at every beach, so what's most obvious is that a lot of people don't think that way.

Quote:
But at the same time if one has a half decent car audio radio, it would allow criminals quicker access to take out, and not draw attention to the criminal act that smashing a window would draw...
On that note wondering if a audio component would fit in a car safe.....
Use an audio system with a removable faceplate, hide the faceplate or take it with you.

Quote:
Or mabey I should just go all out and get a car alarm....ugh
OK, as long as you don't leave it out where somebody can steal it.

Quote:
The whole idea of spending time at the beach is to de-stress!!
Agreed. And the easiest way to de-stress is not to have a lot of stuff with you that you need to worry about. If it's not in the car, they can't steal it from the car.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:45 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,816,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
Use an audio system with a removable faceplate, hide the faceplate or take it with you.
One time at a Seattle Mariners game, someone broke into my Jeep and stole the radio. Meanwhile, I had the faceplate with me! I have often wondered, without the faceplate, what was the radio worth to them?

Old 01-23-2013, 12:12 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,439,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
One time at a Seattle Mariners game, someone broke into my Jeep and stole the radio. Meanwhile, I had the faceplate with me! I have often wondered, without the faceplate, what was the radio worth to them?
Indeed, I once had an ordinary, plain vanilla OLD radio stolen that might have been worth $5... tops!

Cost me hundred$ for the window they broke to get to it!

Old 01-23-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFrostyJ View Post
Replacement faceplates are for sale on the internet for $20.00. The criminals buy the matching faceplate, then sell it as a complete unit.

I saw a decoy faceplate called 'broken stereo faceplate' , you snap it on and it appears to be just the wires hanging out of nothing, like someone already took the stereo out. lol

I wonder what/where the market for stolen items is in Maui??...it's an Island for Pete's sake!
How many pawn shops could there possibly be?
An underground black market for stolen electronics, perhaps?
Do they mail electronics off island?
Maybe there's corruption within the local police dept. With a population of 144,000, how
could stolen items of any sort just *disappear*?

Old 01-23-2013, 01:06 PM

32,647 posts, read 48,040,180 times
Not only leave the car empty of valuables, but keep an old beater to go to the beach. If the car looks like the owner lives in poverty, the car is unlikely to contain anything of value and will not be broken into. Leave the door unlocked so they don't break your windows. (plus a bunch of sand and wet bathing suits aren't going to do any damage to your car)

With the price pf gas so high, my mechanic son took locking gas caps off all the cars, because it is a lot cheaper to lose a tank of gas than it is to replace the gas tank if thieves punch a hole in the tank to drain the fuel. Theives have been punching holes in gas tanks right in crowded parking lots.

Old 01-23-2013, 02:12 PM

This must be a big outer island beach break-in issue - I go to the beach multiple times per week and have never seen a break-in/broken glass at any of the Oahu beaches......

Ala Moana mall - yep, one time there was a smash and grab and saw over 20 cars broken into....

Hiking trails - yep

Street Parking - yep

Maybe to many people going to the beach on Oahu - I just can't imagine how'd they'd pull it off with all the people around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui