Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 02:46 AM

4 posts, read 21,866 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I moved to Maui about a month ago and I have been driving around and looking a second job on my California drivers lic.

Do I need a HI drivers lic. and if I do, do I have to take a driving and written test to get my HI lic?

Also I have my regular lic. and Motorcycle lic. on the mainland will this transfer or do I have to take the test for both?

Mahalo, any info would help on this matter...

Spoony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 11:14 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,132 times
Nothing says temp than an out of state DL or phone number.
I got my HI DL yesterday no driving test just written unless you change your class of license from what you already have.

Good luck

Old 03-17-2010, 11:24 AM

94 posts, read 319,012 times
Your California license is valid until it expires, but like KoaKine said, getting a local DL could increase job prospects.

I mostly just thought it was funny that you've were driving around for a month before thinking to ask if it was ok.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:25 AM

47 posts, read 182,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Nothing says temp than an out of state DL or phone number.
I got my HI DL yesterday no driving test just written unless you change your class of license from what you already have.

Good luck
How hard was the test? I didn't miss a question on my first test but that was a long long time ago.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:41 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,590,132 times
Test not hard at all. You can go online and read their practice book. If maui is anything like the BI they have 1 book to look a and they watch it like a hawk.

Old 03-17-2010, 12:34 PM

820 posts, read 3,035,415 times
Agree with everyone so far... you'll get a better response from potential employers if you have a HI license.

Test was not hard, but do study as the laws are different here. No driving test, just written.

When you go for the license, they will take your CA license away, you can't keep it. I didn't know that, wanted to keep mine for sentimental value. Some friends told me I could have said I lost the license, as long as I had other valid photo ID like a passport.

Or, if you still have an address in CA, apply for a duplicate, get that, and then turn in one of them. But only for sentimental value.

Old 03-17-2010, 06:41 PM

805 posts, read 1,509,991 times
I've kept my CA license and got a Hawaii State ID, never had a problem. In fact, I didn't get a Hawaii state ID until I lived here for over 7 years. I always just used my utility bill for kamaina rates. Employers don't ask you for a HI license anyway unless they are employing you to drive their vehicles.

The ONLY problem with having a Hawaii license is if you lose it. Then they treat you like you're a total retard, like you've never driven in your life. You have to take the written and drivers test all over again, and in Maui the dmv is known for flunking people left and right. I lost my CA license and decided to get a Hawaii one. I have had 2 different state licenses outside of Hawaii and driven overseas as well, yet flunked it here twice (for the reason of not putting my hands on the right places on the steering wheel, and also for not turning my head to look at the appropriate nanosecond when I changed lanes!). After they flunked me the 2nd time, I wasn't going to pay more $ and go back for another humiliating experience.

I know a person who flunked it 15 times before they gave it to her. It's a great way to make $ for the county dmv. People hate the dmv here. I renew my CA license online, which you cannot do here. Not a problem!

California dmv makes life so much easier to renew licenses. You do not have to live in California in order to renew it...you can live anywhere in the US 50 states. (I love it!) You let them know you spend most of your time in Hawaii. You can renew it twice via phone or online (renewing is every 5 years) before you have to go in person. They just digitally transfer your photo to your new one.

Just get a Hawaii State ID. Don't give up your CA license, especially if you're not even 100% sure you will be living permanently in Hawaii for the rest of your life! You can do that later if you really really really REALLY REEEEEAAAALLY want to exchange it for a Hawaii one.... You'll thank me!

Last edited by aqua0; 03-17-2010 at 06:56 PM..

Old 03-18-2010, 01:11 AM

Default All great info!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond it was very helpful. I know its been a month but I have been playing and now its time to get business...

So if they take my CA lic. can I renew online and have one waiting for me at home in CA or do they revoke my CA altogether and If I do decide to go back I would have to start all over there to?

Old 03-18-2010, 03:06 AM

Ah never mind I just read your post again Aqua0 thanks again everyone....

Old 03-18-2010, 09:31 PM

805 posts, read 1,509,991 times
Spoony,

Just tell CA dmv you lost your license and after you submit a form and the payment, they'll send you a temporary license, then a permanent one will be on its way in the mail. Very easy.

In all my yrs living here, NO employer has EVER asked me why I didn't have a HI license. If you get a HI license, hang on to it for dear life. Better yet, put it in a safe. Because trying to get it replaced will drive you crazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui