Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-08-2009, 05:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,479 times

Advertisements

My current landlord in Arizona has offered me an opportunity of transferring my deposits and living in his newly vacated home in Maui. The rent is only $850.00 per month and it would satisfy a 45 year dream of mine. There are eight of us plus my cats, My husband and I have our own income and my daughter-In-Law can transfer to the sister store from where she works now plus my son does web design so there is no problem with income. My grandchildren are home schooled online so that satisfies the schooling problems. We would have to leave most everything here and start with new furniture, etc... once settled into the new home, are there second hand places available or discounted furniture stores? I need to find out about medical care as I have ongoing and serious medical problems but good insurance. I was curious about grocery costs, I am a retired chef and do all home made cooking and baking and also enjoy growing a lot of my veggies. We are pretty simple, enjoying old fashioned lifestyles and peacefulness. Can anyone tell me what they feel is the best thing about living on the Islands? Is it possible for me to live there and forget about modern stuff? Can I find new friends that enjoy old fashioned lifestyles? We enjoy living a rustic, rural lifestyle right now to the point that we haul in our own water to the 4 acres we live on! As far as I am aware, the mobile home, (24x60) that our landlord owns in Maui is also outside of a main city and in a fairly rural type area. Also, will it be hard for us to find a used vehicle there at a good price? I was thinking it may cost more than it is worth to ship our car there! Thank you so much for any advice you can give or information about the area, I look forward to becoming a new neighbor! Funny thing, I was asked if I would have to get a passport to travel to Hawaii! My neighbors here need to go back to school!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 06:10 PM

18,414 posts, read 19,047,428 times
if this is a dream I think you should try as hard as you can to make it work. transferring deposits, is maybe several thousands of dollars. to come here for that "savings" really might not be worth it, depending on a lot of things. first there really is no "mobile" living on maui, there may be a trailer parked on some land... so I am wondering about the living quarters you are being offered. find out where it is, get a physical address, let us know. we get bugs, centipedes and cane spiders living in neighborhoods so to be way out, living on some acreage where there is nothing around could be uncomfortable. does he have any pictures of the place.
just the airfare for 8 people to get here well exceeds the savings you would have from your deposits. yes we have second hand stores and people either go to costco, or the swap meets for fresh fruits and vegies. everything is expensive so the more you can do yourself or without the better. you also don't want to be so far away from the ability to get supplies. medical care is a bummer. depinding on your needs some are just not available on maui and you must fly to oahu to get help. so check that out. your cats will also have to get ready to travel, see the us agriculture site for that info. I would bring as little as possible, you can buy everything you need here. good luck.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:24 PM

263 posts, read 868,133 times
Don't move sight unseen. If I were you I would come to Maui to take a look at your landlord's mobile trailer, the neighborhood, stores, etc. before you commit to moving. Maui isn't exactly known for its mobile trailer enthusiasts. I wonder where you'll be located. Have you been to Hawaii before? If you haven't it's so different from living on the Mainland. It's not for everyone.

There are hospitals on Maui but the most well known and best staffed hospitals are on Oahu.

You can certainly find second hand furniture and a used car pretty easily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui