Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 07:02 AM

Location: not sure, but there's a hell of a lot of water around here!
2,682 posts, read 7,572,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
It's RURAL LIVING folks on the neighbor islands! Please don't expect it to be otherwise, and don't think bad of it for being what it is. R-U-R-A-L. Don't like rural on the mainland? Then it is likely that you won't like rural here, even with beautiful sunny days, gentle breezes, and warm ocean water.

That's it! Precisely! IT'S NOT THE MAINLAND!!!!!! If you want the mainland medical experience, STAY ON THE MAINLAND!!! It's not exactly voodoo either. (depending upon who your doctor is, of course)

aloha po'o kukae
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 10:56 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,767,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberCity View Post
It's RURAL LIVING folks on the neighbor islands! Please don't expect it to be otherwise, and don't think bad of it for being what it is. R-U-R-A-L. Don't like rural on the mainland? Then it is likely that you won't like rural here, even with beautiful sunny days, gentle breezes, and warm ocean water.
Sounds like we are in rabid agreement. I was only illustrating that fact with an example.
Aloha..

Old 03-30-2013, 12:08 AM

32,647 posts, read 48,028,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungjohann View Post
T! It's not exactly voodoo either. (depending upon who your doctor is, of course)
The voodoo doctors are actually a pretty good source for alternative medicine. Just be careful if one of the nice patients you meet there invites you out to lunch, because that's where the cannibals get their medical treatment.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:07 PM

6 posts, read 9,656 times
So instead of reading my book before bed last night, I curled up with my laptop to read this ENTIRE forum. Wow. I just thought I'd say how much I appreciate all the information here...taken with a grain of salt of course - as opinions should be taken. However, one thing is for sure - your attitude can determine your outcome.
As my husband and I continue in our 5 year plan to move I have learned from this forum that we are on the right track! I already know that our family of 6 will not be living in a 3000 sq ft house as we are now - but rather a 1000 sq ft condo. But as my attitude allows - I am totally okay with that. We will be selling our big expensive SUV and Truck as they won't be necessary in a place that doesn't dump snow for half the year - this I am excited about...I miss having a smaller vehicle...which will offset the higher cost of gas. I already have to eat expensive specialty foods due to my allergies (I also haven't eaten meat since I was 13) and on my last trip over, I paid the exact same for my food - no big whoop there. As for jobs...that's the last (and probably an important) piece of the puzzle - we aren't sure what we want to do when we grow up. Currently my husband runs a wedding business (franchise) and I am an independent consultant for Rodan+Fields Dermatologists. I will probably keep doing my thing, but we aren't sure if we want to open another franchise there or do something different - our next trip we will be seeing if the wedding market is overly saturated or not (any input is def welcome). He would go back to the hospitality business if he had to - he worked in restaurant management for many years.
Why Maui? Why not. Also, before I met my dear hubby, I was planning on moving to Phoenix - but then I met him and here we stayed because of his family. We considered Vegas suburbs for awhile also. But you couldn't pay my husband to live in Phoenix (he hates that much heat) and we just aren't in love with Nevada like we are Hawaii. So I put in well over a decade of time here and now he said he is happy to compromise to the milder climate of Maui. When I say compromise, I mean he actually WANTS to and is excited for our next family adventure (unlike the originator of this forum). Btw I didn't even see that she said her baby died - I think people assumed it (at one point she was downing someone for having an opinion because they don't have kids) and also she said she has to get up at 4am to work but then in another post said she doesn't have a job. Just some discrepancies I found in her posts. You can't help those who don't want it - but I prayed for her, least I can do.
Also, we are not rich, just planners and hard workers. It is funny how some posters in this forum think that it's a bad thing. Even if a person didn't work for their money it's no less their fault that they were born wealthy as it is someone's fault born to poverty. Anyhow, our cars will be paid off well before it is time to sell and the resale value will give us a decent boost. We might either sell our franchise or hire a manager to run the office here. My pets are all 9 or 10 years old and as sad as it is to say I don't think moving them will be a factor (know what I'm sayin' - they will be in a new residence in the sky).
That is all the comments. I guess if anyone has any job/business ownership or direct sales advice or comments - I would be interested to hear them. Mahalo!

Old 04-11-2013, 05:44 PM

100 posts, read 269,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frangi914 View Post
You really must live on another Maui than I do because I just don't believe what you are saying. There are more stores here than I could have ever imagined and the choices are mind blowing. I just don't agree with you, sorry I see things in a totally different light. Maybe you and your husband (or he) should have sat down and really went through your expenses and researched prices, food, areas and than made the leap. My husband and I did just that for five years and we feel we found the perfect island and the perfect area. I could not be happier with the folks we have met and all the things there are to do here (both with and without money). What you say is not what we all feel and there are those who DO NOT go back to the mainland, but do find peace and happiness here. You were lucky to have lived in Manhattan and I think you just got spoiled - why not try a 1 1/2 to 2 hour commute into work to the city everyday like I did (for 15 years) and like MOST New Yorkers do, work 8+ hours and than get to do it all over in the evening when you are tired and hungry,(and those cold dark winters) believe me you would be singing a different tune! For those who want to make the move the best advise I can give you would be to have a financial plan, research EVERYTHING, and be patient, don't just leap before you look, the ones who come here with "closed minds" no money and no plan are the ones who are going back to the mainland.
All good points, I think the real issue that is being expressed (perhaps on a more subtle level) is the clash between wanting to live the same type of life one had on the mainland when they move out to Hawaii. For those that are unwilling to give up those things they had on the mainland (freedom to fly anywhere they want, freedom to drive somewhere and go skiing, freedom to go shopping wherever they want, etc...) it probably feels like they just hit the proverbial brick wall. Frangi914 says it right, plan, research and prepare.... and I think the one thing that most people "fail" to prepare for is giving up the lifestyle they had on the mainland when they get out here.

Maybe that is the real problem here as there is usually not enough discussion in these forums that emphasize how important it is to leave your mainland mentality and standard of living back on the mainland. People can crunch numbers all they want and save money and research and plan but if they try and live the same quality of life they have on the mainland, they are in for a serious wake up call....unless they have an obscene amount of money.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadRussian View Post
You can figure this out:
1. If you going to rent you will need - rent for first month + security deposit (usually equal to rent) may be also last month in some cases.
2. You have to live (food, gas, new household items ...) until first check.
3. You have to pay fees to get HI license, tag for your car, safety sticker.
If your car not arrived yet – you have to rent car.
I bet I missed something.
So if you going to rent some small cheap studio it would easily comes to $5000+
Add to the list, unless they were really lucky and got connections on the island that found a rental place for them or if they were completely stupid and rented a place without even seeing it, they are going to need temporary lodging (hotel or vrbo) and that will run at least $100 per night (low end) while they are looking for places.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwan View Post
Hi maui08--

I'm from Los Angeles, used to live in San Diego, and now thinking about moving to Maui for a slower pace... if I move I'll be a doctor there, single, female. So my income will be 6 digits, but you mentioned even with a 100K income you had to live check by check... is it really that bad even compared to over here? I want to go because our southern California's getting more and more congested, and the quality of life in terms of work hour expectations for private practice docs is terrible. But like the others here, I'm worried about 1. fitting in, 2. safety, 3. living expense, and lastly... 4. being single forever, since I'm guessing that the population of young professionals there is probably very small (but correct me if i'm wrong!). How long have you been there? What were your main reasons to move there in the first place? Thank you so much for your time!
It is not the amount of money you earn that will make or break you in Hawaii, its how much you try and live like you did on the mainland that will.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:54 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,908,567 times
A family of 6 in 1,000 sq ft. I'm not even sure that's legal.

Old 04-11-2013, 07:52 PM

749 posts, read 852,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
A family of 6 in 1,000 sq ft. I'm not even sure that's legal.
I've searched all over for info (for Maui) on limits for number of people per square foot or per bedroom, etc & can't find it. Got a friend with super annoying neighbors in a one bedroom condo, 4 people (two are kids) in less than 600 sq ft. they own the condo so that may make a different but can't find a law or reg. about this.

He's looking for Any excuse to get these folks to move!

Old 04-12-2013, 05:38 PM

6 posts, read 9,656 times
Haha RE:
"Originally Posted by whtviper1
A family of 6 in 1,000 sq ft. I'm not even sure that's legal."

It would be tight, but thinking back to our old rancher style home - we lived mainly on the top floor and it was only 1200 sq ft (we did have the finished basement, but we never hung out down there) - at that time we even had my younger teen mom cousin and her son staying with us (I must sound so ghetto-fab). The only time it sucked was in the winter when we were cooped up for half the year. Kids share rooms even in our big house. So as long as I have a pantry and a lanai (which will dub as our dining room) - we'll be golden. I get creative with my organizing - I am what I call a reverse hoarder...I get a thrill from getting rid of stuff. Plus my kids love being outside - even in subzero temps (crazy kids), so I have a feeling we'll be outdoors when they aren't in school. We'll be ok until we get established and find a bigger place within a year or two (which flies by) and if not...the kids won't be kids forever!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui