Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2009, 12:21 PM

67 posts, read 229,697 times

Advertisements

I'd like to camp on the beach. can anyone give me some guidance?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 01:00 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,369,869 times
I would also love information on camping. Is it possible to fly to the state and camp for a week or two? Would love information on a camping/ biking trip.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:07 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,899,252 times
Maui County manages camping at two beach parks on Maui and two on Moloka`i. Here's a link to the county's page that lists the parks and has links to the permit application PDF and fee info: - Camping Sites

You can also camp in East Maui at Waianapanapa State Park which is renowned for its black sand beach. The link to their page is here: Hawaii State Parks > Parks > Maui > Wai‘anapanapa State Park . Similarly, you can camp at Haleakala National Park (up the volcano, not on the beach). Here's the link to their NPS camping page: Haleakala National Park - Wilderness Camping (U.S. National Park Service)

There's a several-times-a-day ferry from Maui to Lana`i, where you can camp at Hulupo`e Bay, one of the most prisintine beaches in the state. The island is privately owned, so the park is managed by Castle & Cooke. Here's a link to a Fodor's page with permit info and phone numbers: Camping | Lanai Activities | Fodor's Travel Guides (A Google search will provide lots of travel articles about this destination -- there are only six campsites available there.)

The number of days per site/per week is limited to (try to) prevent semi-permanent dwelling. I am sure others will post suggestions and info, but I suggest that you err on the side of caution and stay in the legal camping areas. You might want to go to MauiNews.com and do a site search on camping, too, for recent news. Whatever you do, call and double-check any rule, fee, and/or permit information you read in casual articles and reviews online. There are a number of tourism sites that are not updated at all.

Best of luck.

Old 03-12-2009, 01:52 PM

67 posts, read 229,697 times
Whynot- thanks so much for this information! very helpful.

soon2bn- that's exactly what my husband and I want to do. we live in Alaska and want to fly there this November and camp. We want a drive-up campsite because we plan to rent a car and really explore the island... it just seems a waste of money to spend on a hotel room we're never in.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:24 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,369,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerlane1981 View Post
Whynot- thanks so much for this information! very helpful.

soon2bn- that's exactly what my husband and I want to do. we live in Alaska and want to fly there this November and camp. We want a drive-up campsite because we plan to rent a car and really explore the island... it just seems a waste of money to spend on a hotel room we're never in.
That is what we were thinking. I know what a hotel room looks like. I would want to experience the land scape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui