Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2014, 07:08 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,008,619 times

Advertisements

there is a kmart in maui on dairy rd. for furniture there is bj furniture, first impressions both on hana hwy. kimo's and one more in wailuku, the name escapes me right now but right there on the left side of kahului bch rd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 11:13 AM

569 posts, read 779,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot? View Post
They're all local, so listing them isn't much help. (Although my neighbor down the street owns Mind's Eye in Lahaina, so I should give him a plug, I guess.) There's nothing like Ikea or Ethan Allen if those are the kinds of things you're thinking of.

The high costs for shipping keep the mainland stores out. There is plenty of furniture available, new and (really nice) used, because so many people come and go. If you're very particular, you can hire an interior designer and they will completely furnish your place right down to the linens and flatware. It takes some time, though, and it isn't cheap. There's a big market for this kind of turnkey service because of condo and vacation home owners who don't want to be bothered with picking out a lamp here and a rug there, then getting it all delivered. There are several on-island and all of the local furniture stores offer some sort of design services.

While we're at it, there's nothing like a Bed, Bath & Beyond, either, so your options for cookware, appliances, dishes, barware, etc. are similarly limited once you get here. You can pretty much find everything, but you don't have as many choices and you may have to look around a good bit.

Hope this helps.
The one exception I can think of to all the furniture stores being local is Pier One Imports. They're a national chain, but so much of their stuff has a tropical theme that it seems to make a lot of sense for them to be there.

Mind's Eye is a very cool store. Hardly inexpensive, but I'll echo your plug.

To the OP, you noted there's no Target but there's going to be one opening next year, so a lot of people are excited about that. It'll be the 5th store on the islands. There haven't been this many Targets on Hawaii since 1941.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:56 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,202 times
Agree, but we've had very mixed results with Pier One. GREAT when they have what you want in-store and you can take it home. ORDERED items (including furniture priced over $1,000) has been much more complicated and less satisfying. We had trouble with order tracking and item delivery, and one expensive piece was delivered with significant -- although cosmetic -- damage. (An armoire with about 1/2" nicked off the front left corner.) The telephone customer service has not been ideal unless you get the "right" person on the line (especially re arrivals for small item pick-up and/or delivery times for large pieces). The former requires a couple of hours of driving to/from West Maui and the latter blocking out several hours -- or sometimes multiple days -- for delivery. So if you can take what's in-store and carry it out -- GREAT!

Old 05-16-2014, 05:18 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,440,633 times
FYI, some of the stores in Shops at Wailea like Billabong and Rip Curl have a kamaaina discount, so you actually pay 10% less than you would at a location on the mainland.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:56 PM

17 posts, read 20,500 times
Whalers village for the win!The best place for shopping in Maui I liked that this was a 5 to 10 minute walk from my hotel, so we visited a couple times especially because the abc store is in here and there are wide variety of restaurant offer grille but a bit pricey too.

Old 06-03-2014, 11:10 PM

337 posts, read 612,981 times
We have a variety of new outlet stores in Lahaina now like: Guess, Coach, Levi, Lucky, Perfumania, Gap, Adiddas, Tommy Hilfiger etc etc. Hopefully they do well enough on Front street that they can stay and so that we have some variety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui