Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2009, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,512 times

Advertisements

Ok, so about a week ago I took a little vacation with a few friends to Maui. I fell in LOVE with the island. It was absolutely amazing. I moved from New Orleans to Atlanta in August 2008 and my lease is up in August. So i have a few months to decide what i want to do. Stay here ? or move some place else. Im young , only 22 so why not? There is nothing holding me back here in Atl.
So i guess the reason why im posting this is for some help. I need to know where to look for jobs and apts. I have a few years of college under my belt but no degree. Im thinking maybe a job waiting tables or something dealing with marine life and the ocean. What resources do i need? I tried craigslist but thats a load of crap. Should i go back out there for a few days and just do a job/apt hunt? Im the type of person who can live very simplistic so i would not be opposed to just renting a room or small very cheap apt. Im in this for the experience. I would be supporting only myself and my dachshund I would really appreciate if someone could help me out. There is so much information out there and I have no idea where to start.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2009, 02:33 PM

18,404 posts, read 19,040,350 times
I think at your age you should move here for the experience if you can. you should ave as much savings as possible to help until you are settled. right now there really are no jobs and I mean no jobs check our paper it is on line...the maui news renting a room is a great idea and waiting tables or working on one of the boats is what you would most likely be doing. remeber these jobs pay diddly squat and most people have two jobs. it is a great place and I think even if only for a few months it is worth the effort. good luck

Old 05-03-2009, 02:33 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,517,953 times
vrbo.com

Rent a vacation rental studio or similar. That way you have everything already provided for you so you can concentrate on finding a job, etc.

Old 05-04-2009, 09:48 AM

1,234 posts, read 4,591,717 times
I suggest that you try to find a job there first or at least start the process. Your income will be the hardest part.

Good luck I wish I had done it when I was young

Old 05-04-2009, 01:34 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,048,811 times
There are tons of paperwork to be done to bring the dog over and it takes about six months or so to get it all done. There are tons of threads about bringing pets over, so check those as well as the state quarantine website. If it is just you, then there is about one quarter the difficulty involved with finding a place to stay. Is there anyone who can babysit your dog while you move over and get situated?

I don't think you will be able to find one job which will support you in an apartment by yourself. You may be able to find enough work to let you share an apartment with someone, perhaps. At the moment, jobs are scarce and most of them go to folks who already live here since generally it is their friends and relatives who are doing the hiring.

Round trip airfares aren't much more than one way, so if you had a round trip ticket with an extended return date you'd have a back-up plan in case work wasn't available. Can you take an extended sabbatical from your current work? Then if things don't work out, you will have a fall back plan. Most times the first "moving to Hawaii" plan doesn't work out when they are made from the mainland since there are so many oddball considerations specific to Hawaii that you wouldn't know to plan for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui