Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 02:38 PM

10 posts, read 22,296 times

Advertisements

Aloha,
Would love to hear from people who are living on Maui. My husband's company is giving him the opportunity to transfer to Maui. I'm really excited and nervous at the time. He'll have to make a decision by Monday! Oh the pressure! We have 2 children in elementary so school is a concern. We are thinking about renting a 2 bdr apt until I find a job since we'll be living off 1 income until I find a job, so what can I expect in rental price? We don't need anything fancy.
Ok read some post that claims that food are more expensive so how much more expensive? What's with the $6 milk rumor?
So conflicted.....uugggg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 02:55 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
Maui is a large island with a lot of different neighborhoods and types of apartments - start here: maui apts/housing for rent classifieds - craigslist

$6 milk? Try $10 milk - although you can get it I think closer to $5 at Costco where you'll have to justify your $4.25/gallon gas for the drive over.

Monday decision is a lot of pressure - you really should try to get to Maui first before making a decision. Living on a remote island has a lot of great things but a lot of drawbacks also.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:20 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,677,841 times
Making a decision on this by Monday is impossible! It would be much simpler if he was single, but you've got two kids to think about.

How long will you be living there? How will you feel taking your kids so far away from family? You are right to have concerns about schools. I can only speak about the Big Island, but most of the public schools here are way behind mainland schools. You should spend time doing some forum searches as all of your questions have been discussed at length.

What kind of job will you be looking for? Unless you are in the service industry (waitress, etc.) jobs are pretty scarce these days.

You can get groceries fairly reasonably if you shop the sales and use coupons. Also Costco. However, as whtviper pointed out, gas is really expensive. So is electricity. Almost everything you buy here has to be shipped over the ocean, so prices of just about everything is higher. For example, if you look at an appliance ad from Sears, there's a note that says "prices higher in Alaska and Hawaii". They will be at least $50 more than the ad price.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,275 times
Haha yes the $6 gal milk rumor is very much true. I live in a Oahu and I'm loving it. There are a lot of pros and cons living in Hawaii. The scenery is breathtaking and theres so much to do. The beaches are great and I love the Hawaiian lifestyle. BUT gas is always above $4. I pay about $4.40 a gal for 92 octane. EVERYTHING is expensive here

Everything that whtviper1 and Dreaming of Hawaii said is absolutely true.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:16 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,689,094 times
One very important question i have is although your husband is being transfered for a job, what is the job going to pay? Is he a store clerk for Target and transfering as a store clerk for target on maui with the same wages, or is he transfering as a doctor from one medical company to another? Very big and important part of the decission making process.

I think there was one peson who use to postt hat was all excited because he was transfereing from the mainland to hawaii but his job wasn;t high on the ladder and what he would make where he was would get him so much more than where he was moving to on Hawaii.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:08 PM

Thank you all for the insight. My husband works for the government. He will be making a few bucks more because of locality pay but not much...roughly $60k/yr...we r planning to pay off most of our debts before the move.
We live in Cali..gas is $3.89 but hubby commutes 20 miles each way to work so maybe if we can find a place close to where he'll work this will offset the higher gas price there?
How much more expensive is electricity,gas,water,waste? I pay about $150 for elec,$20 gas, $25 water and I think $10 for waste collection.
As for jobs...I'm in global logistic but if I have to work in service industry I don't think I'll mind...it might be a nice change..
We've lived in Alaska before so being in a remote place is nothing new.
3 more days of research and reading this forum before our decision!!

Old 11-03-2011, 06:42 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,923,379 times
$60K in Maui is a good salary to have and until you get settled you'll be fine, especially if you are debt free. I think you will be ok from a $$ perspective.

Old 11-03-2011, 06:48 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,262,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervousaboutmaui View Post
Thank you all for the insight. My husband works for the government. He will be making a few bucks more because of locality pay but not much...roughly $60k/yr...we r planning to pay off most of our debts before the move.
We live in Cali..gas is $3.89 but hubby commutes 20 miles each way to work so maybe if we can find a place close to where he'll work this will offset the higher gas price there?
How much more expensive is electricity,gas,water,waste? I pay about $150 for elec,$20 gas, $25 water and I think $10 for waste collection.
As for jobs...I'm in global logistic but if I have to work in service industry I don't think I'll mind...it might be a nice change..
We've lived in Alaska before so being in a remote place is nothing new.
3 more days of research and reading this forum before our decision!!
Before making a decision, you might want to check out a couple of "cost-of-living" calculators...
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 03:50 AM..

Old 11-03-2011, 07:37 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,689,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervousaboutmaui View Post
Tell your hubby not to take the job. Instead, the family moves to Oahu. Hubby becomes a stay at home dad. You give me a call and I;ll have you a job wthin a few weeks paying good wages with lots of free travel throughout the pacific.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:23 PM

Lol PacificFlights...hubby is definitely not the stay at home dad type. Thanks for the offer tho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui