Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 12:27 PM

60 posts, read 175,175 times

Advertisements

Hi all I had posted a question before about being able to live on maui for 60k well my job offer was made and they have me at 57k. Will I be able to get a good place to live and not be pay check to pay check??? just me and my dog and I am pretty thrifty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 12:40 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,901,227 times
It really depends upon your perceptions of "good place to live" and your habits that affect living "paycheck to paycheck." People certainly get by on less. It's a really big move if you've never lived in Hawaii before. I strongly suggest you visit if at all possible before you commit, to see where you'll be working, the housing options, etc. The money invested in the visit will only underscore the wisdom of your ultimate decision.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:53 PM

210 posts, read 972,750 times
the move itself is very expensive. It deneds on how often you need to fly to mainland, or somewhere else. For us it is the biggest expense-airplane tickets.
you can rent something for $1k, plus car payment, food, bills, it wont leave much for extra activities, like visiting other islands. but you should be fine if you only plan to live on Maui. there is plenty of stuff you can do which is free, you dont need to buy clothes. you can buy a bike and save on gas.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:23 PM

820 posts, read 3,038,313 times
I agree that it depends on how you live. You say you are thrifty, so that's a good sign. If you don't need to eat out a lot and don't have expensive habits, I think you'll be fine. Hopefully you won't have a long drive from home to work, with gas prices so high. Or you can take our new buses, which are AWESOME and actually cheaper than driving some routes.

There are really lots of free things to do, like the ukulele festival, whale celebration, and other fairs. You can go to the beach, watch the whales in February, buy a boogie board at a garage sale. Heck, buy a LOT of things at garage sales. I buy boards & coolers & snorkel gear, along with outdoor furniture and books and fun stuff.

Hopefully too your dog is not one that requires a lot of meds or special foods. Be sure to get heartworm medications going when you get here.

Check into shared housing if you want to save some rent money.

Old 08-29-2008, 07:38 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,076,962 times
With a take home of over $3K a month, you'd better be able to make it. You should be able to save $1K a month and still be able to make it if you are thrifty.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:50 PM

21 posts, read 157,432 times
You can rent an apartment, or share a place. You won't be buying a place. Ever. This is the reality of living in HI.

Old 09-02-2008, 01:24 PM

Calico,
do you have the bus map? where do they run?
We live in Wailuku, and we will be brining our parents there, they dont drive. It would be great if they could take a bus and be independent, it would be so wonderful!

Old 09-02-2008, 02:46 PM

Here's the bus info on the County website -
Maui County, HI - Official Website - Bus Service & Schedule Information

Gotta run, more soon.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:36 PM

thank you! they look great! new and green, how exciting! there are two destinations from Wailuku, which is great. and from there we can connet and get on another bus

Old 09-03-2008, 07:09 PM

We rode the bus from Maalaea Harbor up to Lahaina for dinner, and it was terrific. Clean and cool and comfortable and plenty of room. Only $1.00 per way, which was cheaper than if we drove, and no worries about parking or tickets (they are quick to ticket for parking meters expired up there).

You are limited as to how much stuff you can bring on board, and I think still no surfboards. But I believe they have a place to put your bike.

The buses should be fine for your parents to do a little riding around without you. They can go up to Lahaina to sightsee, or down here to Kihei/Wailea for beaches. Or into Kahului for a movie. They can go upcountry to Makawao too.

They really are awesome, and great timing with the gas prices. Maui County, job well done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui