Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 3,503 times

Advertisements

Hi there, I'm a 28 year old British PE teacher currently doing supply work in Southern England. I completed a PGCE (post graduate certificate of education) and gained masters credits earlier this year and continue to work in primary and secondary schools within the area. Having already taught PE in a private school for a year, played semi-professional soccer for the last 10 years as well as years of experience teaching children sports across the board in South America, the US and of course Europe, I feel I am well qualified.
I recently visited Maui to see friends and family and couldn't help but wonder what it would be like to actually use my quals and teach in such a beautiful place.
However, I am not sure how I would go about going through the necessary procedures in order to become legal to work there. I have now made it my goal to find out more and see if it is actually possible for my dream to come true.
Any comments would be much appreciated, cheers.

Last edited by 7th generation; 10-21-2009 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: please do not post your e mail addy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 02:28 AM

2,573 posts, read 2,689,362 times
Google Hawaii Department of Education. Since it is small enough, I think they tend to do the hiring more in-house.

Old 10-23-2009, 09:30 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,694,343 times
First, Hawaii is a U.S. state, so you'll need all the same U.S. legal authority to work in the U.S. If you have that, the State Dept of Ed, any non-public schools, and any youth athletic organization are good starting points. Keep in mind that the current economic situation means there are probebly several local residents with equal skills also seeking those same jobs as well as thousands from across the US who will apply for anything available. Competition is keen.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:17 AM

2,573 posts, read 2,689,362 times
If you aren't sure what documents you need to come to the US, the State Dept. of Education in HI would probably be able to help you out or refer you to the correct resources. Your international experience and teaching experience could be a plus. Aim for a certification or an urban area if you want any job though, there may be some still available! In some cases, it is pretty easy to become a per diem substitute for small income here and there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui