Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 11:34 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,441,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico Salsa View Post
Naw, maybe $45 for the entree, but add in appetizers, dessert, a couple of bottles of wine, and tip, and a group dining together can get up to the $100/person.

I only go if someone else is paying!
That's ridiculous, especially since it seems to be more like a regular chain restaurant than "fine dining". Oh well, if a local business takes advantage of gullible tourists, that's good for our economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 01:12 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,010,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
That's ridiculous, especially since it seems to be more like a regular chain restaurant than "fine dining". Oh well, if a local business takes advantage of gullible tourists, that's good for our economy.

I wouldn't say mamas is a like a chain restaurant. it is a fine dining restaurant with a world wide reputation. the place was started by a married couple and it is still owned by a the same people if I am not mistaken. they just happen to get very successful. their food and the locale especially are a once in a lifetime for many. is it over priced? sure it is, but you can't put a value high enough on the beauty and ambiance of the place. if you know going in it is gonna cost an arm and a leg you should have a great experience and memories there.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:46 PM

820 posts, read 3,034,624 times
As noted, Mama's isn't a chain at all. Their food is quite good, and for those who can afford it, whether on a vacation budget, a special occasion, or those with enough resources, it's a great choice. Not for everyone, but that's why there are also places like L&Ls or McDonald's. Also not for everyone. I eat at them all, it all depends.

Mama's is very beautiful, and I've taken guests there just to look at the flower arrangements, which are better than some in the resorts. The decor is perfect for visitors to want to get the whole Hawaiiana feel, and the location is great (except no sunset).

Mama's heavily advertises their fresh fish, and sure enough you can see it getting delivered by local fisherfolk. Better to me than some other restaurants that are serving frozen, although again I'll apparently eat anything.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:44 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,895,455 times
I agree with Calico Salsa and hothulamaui -- I don't get the connection between Mama's and "chain restaurant." Unless you mean their level of sophistication usually comes with corporate marketing and training? The Christensons have carefully crafted the ambience and menus over the years, and they or their children are often there to greet guests.

There are certainly less expensive places to eat, but there are also several places that are comparably expensive but not as dependably great. I think it's one of the best restaurants on the island. The food and service are consistently very good, and most of our guests want to go back every time they're on Maui.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:44 AM

968 posts, read 2,061,874 times
Here's our recent travel assessment.

Best restaurant - Mama's Fish House. The stuffed Mahi Mahi was fabulous. Even the kids liked it. Ohno was excellent. Loved the Hawaiian flavored Creme Brulee. It is expensive but considered it a treat with wonderful ambience. $80 per person includes wine, split salad, split dessert, and tip. A definite must.

Worst restaurant - Longhi's in Wailea. Just as expensive as Mama's but for quarter of the taste. Kids hated it. Never will return.

Favorite kids restaurant on Maui - Da Kitchen. They could eat there every day.

Favorite kid place on Oahu - Teddy's Burgers

Biggest Disappoinment - Snuba cancelled due to high winds.

Doubt we will do again - Haleakala. Kids became car sick (forced us to reconsider our Hana trip). Too windy and cold to go on a hike. As teenagers they appreciated it for about 5 minutes and wanted to go back to the beach.

Favorite beaches - Kailua - long, fine white sand, not nearly as busy as one would think. Kamaole III - easy access for us, very relaxed, nice sand. Po'olenalena - quiet, loved it.

Kamaole Sands - great condo, reasonable price, allowed us to prepare our own meals. Not nearly as pretentious as when we stayed in Wailea. Cross the street to Kamaole III beach. We stayed in buiding 3 which had a nice ocean view. Probable best views would be building 1 or 10. Worst views would be buildings 4, 8, and 9.

Don't do it - Hawaiian Luau. We did it to show the kids Hawaiian "culture" and food. You can get better Hawaiian food at Da Kitchen, and the experience felt like being on a cruise ship.

Old 04-04-2010, 12:09 PM

74 posts, read 166,198 times
Try Eskimo Candy. It's a restaurant in Kihei. It's a small place, so you might want to take out. The seafood stew they have is fantastic.Lot's of seafood.

There is a magician that has a show in Lahaina. We have been to see him twice. If you are a little shy like I am then sit in the back.He is a very nice man, and his show is a riot. He had me laughing so hard I was crying both times.

Mama's is good, but expensive. In the parking area at Mama's was the only crime I have seen happen on Maui in seven or eight trips there since 1980, when a customer had her car broken into in the parking lot, and stuff was stolen.Not a blot against Mama's, it could have happened anywhere. Don't leave stuff like cameras and such in plain sight in your locked car.It's a good place to go for a special meal, and it's in a beautiful spot.

The Aquarium in Maalaea just north of Kihei (on the way to Lahaina) is very nice, and there is a good restaurant called the Waterfront there also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui