Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 02:51 AM

1,688 posts, read 4,300,869 times

Advertisements

Off the grid with Uncle (hopefully).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 12:03 PM

119 posts, read 376,983 times
so true you shouldn't go anywhere alone at unfamiliar places... this story just reminds me on people who like to jog/camp alone in the wild and got attacked/killed by wild animal

Old 03-03-2010, 12:36 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,754,662 times
Before I went to Maui for the first time,back in the 70's, I was told by the locals,"Maui is a rough place". People need to exercise caution. Hope they find the missing person.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:33 PM

805 posts, read 1,510,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post

One of the things I see on Kauai is a young person hitchhiking alone looking like they just got off the plane with only a backpack. I use to pick them up (if they looked alright). Every time the person had no clue where they were going or spending the night.

I see a lot of that in Maui too.

I don't even feel safe if I'm with just one guy hiking in the waterfalls. A group yes, but not just one other person. This guy I was dating wanted to check out the waterfalls and it just didn't feel safe. There was absolutely NOBODY around as it was late in the afternoon, and I convinced the guy to turn back early. We never reached the waterfall but guess what, I felt a whole lot better!

Old 03-04-2010, 04:39 AM

19 posts, read 53,139 times
Rapes really make it to the news because the police does not want copy cat rapist popping up. If they start reporting on the news that there were 10 rapes in one week, every week, and no one was caught think about how many crazy people will think to themself that oh if that guy got away with it maybe I can to.

Usually the rapes that make it on the news are the really terrible ones where a child is the victim, numerous victims, rape and murder, or a serial rapist.

If you work in law enforcement or in the medical field then yes you will see or hear more about it because you deal with the victims.

Old 03-04-2010, 12:52 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,754,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rembrantx View Post
Rapes really make it to the news because the police does not want copy cat rapist popping up. If they start reporting on the news that there were 10 rapes in one week, every week, and no one was caught think about how many crazy people will think to themself that oh if that guy got away with it maybe I can to.

Usually the rapes that make it on the news are the really terrible ones where a child is the victim, numerous victims, rape and murder, or a serial rapist.

If you work in law enforcement or in the medical field then yes you will see or hear more about it because you deal with the victims.
Did you mean "rarely "instead of "really?"

Old 03-04-2010, 05:32 PM

19 posts, read 53,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Did you mean "rarely "instead of "really?"
ops yes I meant rarely. Thanks for catching the mistake.

Old 03-06-2010, 12:58 PM

62 posts, read 267,516 times
Um, I take exception to the paternalistic ideas here that "a female just does not go camping alone." Women who adventure solo are usually highly aware of the risks involved and sometimes they get hurt, just as mountaineers, boxers and formula one drivers can get themselves killed doing what they love. I've camped alone on hundreds of occasions, and though I was definitely scared at times, many of my friends or my husband just did not have the same freedom I had to drop everything and come with me. I camped all over Hawaii alone, and I would never trade that experience for anything. Of course you have to be smart about who you talk to and where you set up camp, etc., but the problem is not inherently that women shouldn't camp alone. Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.

Old 03-06-2010, 01:00 PM

"I have met more then one female who has been raped to no fault of their own at beach parks or taken into the cane field."

Also, it is NEVER the woman's fault, just to be clear here.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountrygal View Post
I am not going to commet in the last case. Sad. Or make a decision on who how etc. It is sad. for her, family and Hawaii to have this issue.

As a single woman yes a trip can be done. Yes you can hang with locals, yes you can have a great trip. But again be smart about it. Not saying she wasn't. But a single female can come to the isalnds without worry in most cases. It depends on who and where you make friernds to be your mentor. Find a Uncle to befriend you first and then go by their logic before you go anywhere. One they steer you right 2 you have their name for basic protection, But again I haven't met - yes I have ice heads/but stay away from- I would not trust. But for the most all good.

Sorry for her family looking. Yes it can happen .... be careful but for 99.9% all good. Just don't be stupid - again not calling here stupid so sad.
I understand completely what you are saying. Even if you're a genius about solo travel, stuff can go wrong. Sounds like we're both saying to go in with your eyes open and accept that bad stuff can happen when you venture outside your comfort zone (hell, even in your comfort zone, just driving to work or whatever). Of course that doesn't imply a lack of sympathy for the girl, no matter what her situation. Hopefully she will be found ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
View detailed profiles of: