Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 10:14 PM

682 posts, read 2,795,181 times

Advertisements

Just got back from a week in Maui, and posting stuff about hotels & resorts, as promised.

Ka'anapali Beach Hotel: In the resort-y area of Ka'anapali, but one of the less fancy resorts there. They bill themselves as the "most Hawaiian resort"... hula shows every evening (I see lots of these around Honolulu, so skipped it). It was a nice place, but not fantastic. Definitely paled in comparison to the Hyatt (where we went for dinner). There's a pool, but it's nothing special. No hot tub. No spa services. The employees were all friendly, and the location is good (we watched an AMAZING whale breaching show at sunset and enjoyed walking the beach path to the other resorts & beaches). I think it's cheaper than the others in the area, so it's probably worth it for that.

Marriott at Wailea: We had a great time here. Hot tub. Serenity pool (= infinity pool with ocean view and no kids... but there's a separate kids' pool around the corner). There's a great snorkeling beach right there. The room was a lot nicer than Ka'anapali Beach Hotel. Resort fee of $25 a day seemed weird... not sure what it got us besides parking (which was cheaper at Ka'anapali). We didn't do any of the spa services... too busy out having fun.

I'll note that the restaurants in Ka'anapali area (at least the resort area) and Wailea were really expensive. Both rooms had a mini-fridge, but no coffee maker even, much less a way to heat food. It would be nice if we could have saved a little money on food by bringing back leftovers or stocking up on fruit for breakfast.

Bamboo Inn in Hana: If you're going to do the road to Hana, I STRONGLY suggest staying there overnight. We set out later in the day (about noon), so missed most of the traffic because so many people try to get the whole drive in a single day. We stayed two nights, letting us explore the beaches in Hana a bit and even backtrack to a couple of the sites on the Hana Highway that we missed. We left the 2nd morning to do the second half of the drive, and had a couple of places to ourselves because we were there before most of the traffic. Doing the drive over two days also let us stop at LOTS of waterfalls and swimming holes. The Bamboo Inn was great... simple but beautifully decorated and maintained rooms. Ours had an outdoor shower and a hot tub on the lanai that overlooked the bay. There was a small but useful kitchen, so we could buy food and prep it. Useful to save money, and also because dining options are both limited and close up early in Hana. Highly recommended.

Upcountry B&B: Also great. We had access to a fridge & microwave, but decided to take the host's (excellent) dining recommendations instead. Outdoor hot tub with amazing amazing amazing views. Michael provides a cooler with breakfast to take with you when you head up Haleakala really really early. Then you get to come back and warm up in the hot tub before hitting the road. Oh, and there's a super nice dog to greet you and to play with. A big plus for me, but I guess it might put some folks off. We're definitely going back to this place as soon as we can. Loved it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 07:58 AM

71 posts, read 298,587 times
Thanks for the reviews NHprof - sounds like you had a great time! Can't wait to get back. I agree with staying for a few nights in Hana - very smart decision. I have read about some of the places you have stayed and it is great to hear a first hand experience. We will definitely have to check those places out.

We have stayed many different places on Maui. Our favorite so far is the Hooilo House in Lahaina - still have not been able to find anything that beats it, but we will continue to search!

Old 04-01-2010, 08:09 PM

1,046 posts, read 4,898,055 times
NewUHProf -- thanks for your thoughts! I live just mauka of the KBH and Sheraton at Ka'anapali. We walk the resorts all the time, but it's hard to judge the rooms and services.

We are also BIG proponents of staying at Hana when you go. It makes a huge difference in really appreciating the area and understanding the whole East Maui experience. We love the Sea Cottages at Hotel Hana Maui/are friends with people who manage another rental house there, but knowing that you had a good experience at Bamboo is really valuable. There's been a lot of property turnover in Hana recently, so it helps to know places that are good values to stay.

Upcountry is amazing, so hearing that you had a good experience there (at a licensed B&B) is great. The whole vacation rental issue with Maui County has caused such a weird backlash for those of us who used to rent houses on Moloka'i and stay in various oddly-placed spots on Lana'i and Maui has been a bureaucratic nightmare. The owners who have been persistent and responsible really deserve a lot of credit (and rentals).

We look forward to checking these spots out and would love to have you over the next time you're on Maui!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui