Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 09:05 PM

51 posts, read 325,843 times

Advertisements

lovinmaui,

Thx for such an informative thread! I am going to be living on the BI and Maui for awhile very soon, to see about doing the move, or not. I found the shipping info very helpful! I am actually going to send this link to my husband who is in Korea now. Thx again for the post!

Old 06-19-2007, 03:04 PM

115 posts, read 471,531 times
lovinmaui,

Great post, keep us updated and when I move I will do the same.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:42 PM

86 posts, read 373,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo's View Post
lovinmaui,

Great post, keep us updated and when I move I will do the same.
Ditto!

We'll be moving from TN to Maui next month.

Old 06-19-2007, 04:31 PM

115 posts, read 471,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HI View Post
Ditto!

We'll be moving from TN to Maui next month.
Lucky You, I get to go through this summer of 115 degrees but next summer I'll be there.

Good luck to you on the move and such

Old 06-20-2007, 10:36 AM

32 posts, read 304,019 times
lovinmaui,
glad to hear that you're doing well in maui..my husband and I are thinking about moving to maui in the next year or two.
Thanks for sharing your experience.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:59 AM

120 posts, read 1,167,586 times
The trick to living in Maui is be willing to work very very hard and then be content with not having any money left over at the end of the month.

Old 06-21-2007, 03:57 PM

5 posts, read 29,838 times
Default About The Tent And Houseboat

I Went To Maui About 2 Months Ago, I Live In Palm Springs Ca... I Went Over To Check It Out, I Will Be Transferring Over There.
I Don't Know Were That Guy Is Looking For An Apt But In Keihi Paridise Gardens Has 2 Bedroom 2 Bath For 1100 To 12oo.
I Found That Prices Wasn't That Bad, Not As Bad As I Thought....
I Don't Know Anywere In Cali... That You Can Get A 2 Bed 2 Bath Apt Across The Street From The Beach For That Price... And If You Go To Costo Most Prices Are About 10 To 20 Cents More. If You Go To A Little Market Yes It Was Much More Expensive. Milk $7 Costo $4
You Just Have To Get Into The Local Scene And Know Were To Shop... Fast Food Was About The Same Price... Restaurants Were More... Outback Special Cally $16 Maui $21
Gas Was About $10 Cents More A Gallon Then Cali... But Its An Island How Far Can You Drive....
Much Luv
Jimmie Da Gruv

Old 06-21-2007, 06:24 PM

1,178 posts, read 5,943,397 times
[quote=GRUVHARD;927288] But Its An Island How Far Can You Drive....[quote]

Depends on how many times you go around.

Old 06-22-2007, 03:17 AM

11 posts, read 96,983 times
One thing you newcomers don't know is that after you live here for a while it is not hard to make extra money. People upcountry have fireplaces and you can sell a cord of Keawe wood for $350 to $400. HC&S will let you go into their cane fields and cut wood out of their gulches for nothing. After a while and you get fast you can make $700 a weekend. It is not easy work but the money is there. Another thing is to catch prawns. When the water in the ditches are low (like right now) get a friend and headlamps. One of you will have a net and the other a three prong spear. You walk into the tunnels heading upstream in the EMI ditches along Hana Highway and after half a day you can come out with 10 to 20 pounds of prawns. You sell the net caught ones and get $10 a pound for them. The ones you damage with the spear you eat with garlic butter. Those are just a couple of ways to make some extra money. Learn to dive and fish and you will seldom go hungry.

Old 06-24-2007, 02:07 AM

120 posts, read 1,167,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUVHARD View Post
I Went To Maui About 2 Months Ago, I Live In Palm Springs Ca... I Went Over To Check It Out, I Will Be Transferring Over There.
I Don't Know Were That Guy Is Looking For An Apt But In Keihi Paridise Gardens Has 2 Bedroom 2 Bath For 1100 To 12oo.
I Found That Prices Wasn't That Bad, Not As Bad As I Thought....
I Don't Know Anywere In Cali... That You Can Get A 2 Bed 2 Bath Apt Across The Street From The Beach For That Price... And If You Go To Costo Most Prices Are About 10 To 20 Cents More. If You Go To A Little Market Yes It Was Much More Expensive. Milk $7 Costo $4
You Just Have To Get Into The Local Scene And Know Were To Shop... Fast Food Was About The Same Price... Restaurants Were More... Outback Special Cally $16 Maui $21
Gas Was About $10 Cents More A Gallon Then Cali... But Its An Island How Far Can You Drive....
Much Luv
Jimmie Da Gruv
I lived in Paradise Gardens for a year. Its GHETTO! Loud parties, theft, people drinking outside your apartment until 1 am. One night 5 people had there car windows smashed. You get what you pay for. Nobody said you cant move to Maui and live here for a while. The trick is STAYING here.

Milk is the least of your problems. The prices for a lot of things are not a lot more but the wages are much much lower than the mainland. So you have slightly higher prices with lower wages. Not the best equation. Most people I know have two jobs or work a tremendous amount of overtime. Please dont guage the cost of milk and the cost of a ghetto apartment as what it really costs to live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Maui