Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2021, 01:15 PM

1,579 posts, read 947,661 times

Advertisements

I just got back from doing a lot of test driving today. I was comparing all sorts of vehicles that I thought I wanted: Subaru Crosstrek, Subaru Forester, Toyota Rav4, Mazda CX5, and the CX30.

I hated the Forester and Rav4. I disliked the CX5, it was okay, but it was felt too big for me and I didn't like how I felt driving it. I am coming from a 17-year-old compact car so it's a big jump maybe.

I ended up liking both the Crosstrek and the CX30 a lot. I liked the way they felt when I drove them and they are just the right size for me. I just have to decide which is better.

I took notes on everything from drive performance, to braking, to handling, to visibility, to comfort, etc on my phone and reviewed them after I got home. It's close, but I like the CX30 slightly better. But a potential deal breaker 9or maker) is the seat being comfortable on a long ride. It was comfortable enough for 30 minutes of test driving... and it had had lumbar support which was nice. But, it was a very soft seat and, in general, firmer seats seem more comfortable for longer trips.

I am moving a two hour drive away from my job (I will mostly telecommute but come in one day a week) So I will be doing long trips on a frequent basis. So being comfortable is important.

Any feedback on the seat comfort on long drives? The seats seemed very much the same as the CX5 so if any CX5 owners want to chime in, that would be helpful too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2021, 07:57 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,712 times
I have a CX-30 and have been on multiple 4+ hour trips with it. I'm over 6 feet tall and have no complaints about the seats. They seem pretty supportive on long trips. The only real negative about this vehicle is the back seat room but I seldom have rear passengers. They also just came out with a turbo version if you're looking for a little more pep.

I also considered a crosstrek and I think this comparison video is fair. They're both good options but obviously I preferred the cx-30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Us9jK6MOY

Last edited by 5Lakes; 02-12-2021 at 08:05 PM..

Old 02-14-2021, 11:26 AM

4,829 posts, read 4,281,757 times
I agree. I drove the CX-30 in the preferred trim for a few days while my car was getting worked on. I loved everything about the vehicle, but the backseat space. I seldom have backseat passengers, but if I’m going to spend nearly $30k on a vehicle, I want to that I’m completely happy with the vehicle. The lack of backseat room was dealbreaker for me. The CX-5 pretty much checks all boxes for me, and the turbo version, is the one that I’m looking to buy. However, with the current Covid protocols in place, I’m going to hold off purchasing a vehicle, until I can travel more.

Going back to your point, I’m 6’ tall and I had no issues with comfort as a driver. I am one of those people that prefers firm seating and a firm bed, so I enjoyed how the seats felt.

Old 04-17-2021, 01:17 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
We drove my wives 17 CX5 from California to NE Ohio recently. I am a large man, and I though the seats and ride itself was very comfortable.

Old 11-25-2021, 08:45 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Assuming seats are the same as my 2018 Mazda 6 my only complaint for the cloth seats is they don't shed heat well in the summer. I have back issues and the seats are very comfortable to me in terms of ergonomics and softness.

Old 11-29-2021, 04:09 PM

733 posts, read 759,497 times
We have a 2017 CX-5. We've taken it on multiple multi-day road trips (Florida to Colorado and back, ie.). It's been just fine.

I also have a 2010 CX-9 and those seats are NOT comfortable over time, so I know what you mean about how big a difference decent seats can make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda