Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2010, 03:38 PM

4,500 posts, read 12,376,745 times

Advertisements

I found a vehicle on Autotrader today that would be perfect for me and my fiancé, that it has a V6 with 220hp is a nice bonus.

Thing is, it's done close to 60k Miles, it's an 05, manual transmission hatch, has leather seats (gray) with electronic controls and three previous owners, one who only had the car for two months (last one), CarFax is clean anf CarFax guaranteed.

$8k sounds a little low in my mind, or is it just because it's a manual and getting on a bit in age (though an 05 would practically be new to me)?

The real kicker is that it's sold by a Hyundai dealership, and I doubt they'd outright scam people, am I wrong?

Any and all input is appreciated, as I'm not in the states atm, I would've had to rely on my Fiancé and a friend of hours to test drive and look at it/buy it, which makes things slightly more complicated.

Oh, and I've already e-mailed asking for more info, especially about the last owner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 04:15 PM

16,955 posts, read 16,802,787 times
The Mazda 6 was a sweet looking car. I know a new one can run you $16 k ( I haven't looked at prices so it could be higher.. )

Did you run the KBB on it ?

Old 07-12-2010, 04:25 PM

Okay , I checked KBB : $ 12,000 retail value ,
$10,690 private party - good condition 9,999 fair condition -8,840
$8650-7050 trade in value

There was one your year make and model with 108,000 miles for $ 9588
and one with 70,900 miles for $ 11,988

I'm no expert but it looks like you got a good deal. Did you get any warranty on it or get it checked out to see its true condition ?

Old 07-12-2010, 09:57 PM

KBB Retail was actually $13K here, I've e-mailed them with some questions, might call today.

Thing with it is, that the liftback (5-door) was allegedly really unpopular in the States, it has a manual transmission, which, from what I understand, many can't drive and lastly that last driver that only had it for two months.

Could it be they're just trying to offload a hard to sell car?

There were Mazda 6's, same year, mostly autos, available with similar mileage but smaller engines and no leather etc though, so the price might not be that insane, looks to me like KBB is struggling to keep up with the market shifts.

Either way, it could be a perfect car for me, finding anything reasonable with a manual transmission is hard.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:32 PM

1,302 posts, read 2,955,822 times
V6+Manual is definitely my favorite combination. And the 5-door hatch is even my favorite body style. I'd definitely go for it.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheViking85 View Post
KBB Retail was actually $13K here, I've e-mailed them with some questions, might call today.

Thing with it is, that the liftback (5-door) was allegedly really unpopular in the States, it has a manual transmission, which, from what I understand, many can't drive and lastly that last driver that only had it for two months.

Could it be they're just trying to offload a hard to sell car?

There were Mazda 6's, same year, mostly autos, available with similar mileage but smaller engines and no leather etc though, so the price might not be that insane, looks to me like KBB is struggling to keep up with the market shifts.

Either way, it could be a perfect car for me, finding anything reasonable with a manual transmission is hard.
I based mine on the city I live , according to KBB that asked for that info...

I notice you are from Norway ? Perhaps you got higher RTV because of this...

Still a Sweet ride. If everything checks out, then I think you did great !

A good deal does not necessarily mean they are trying to unload a bad car.... They may often have a new round of cars and are trying to move the Mazda6 off the lot...

Old 07-13-2010, 08:49 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,252,189 times
Have the car inspected by a mechanic to check for hidden issues. Remember that Carfax can only report on things that are available in publicly accessible databases.

If it is clean - that car sounds like a great buy. Mazda6 V6 with a manual would be a very nice driving car.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
I based mine on the city I live , according to KBB that asked for that info...

I notice you are from Norway ? Perhaps you got higher RTV because of this...

Still a Sweet ride. If everything checks out, then I think you did great !

A good deal does not necessarily mean they are trying to unload a bad car.... They may often have a new round of cars and are trying to move the Mazda6 off the lot...
I checked according to Dallas, TX, where I'll be located, I'm moving countries this fall, was looking for cars for then, but if this is as good as it looks, I might have my Fiancé pick it up prior to my arrival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Have the car inspected by a mechanic to check for hidden issues. Remember that Carfax can only report on things that are available in publicly accessible databases.

If it is clean - that car sounds like a great buy. Mazda6 V6 with a manual would be a very nice driving car.
I have a friend that does state inspections, he'd come along, I'd also be looking for a mechanic to take a gander at it as well, I was more wondering if it was even worth checking into or if anyone thought it was an obvious hoax.

Thanks for all the replies guys, keep 'em coming if you got any more input. We'll see what happens.

EDIT: Nevermind, car was sold on Saturday, they just hadn't gotten the ad for it down. ...Poop.

Last edited by TheViking85; 07-13-2010 at 09:11 AM..

Old 07-13-2010, 09:10 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,796,988 times
Viking - I think you are in TX right? I ran the numbers on my end and came up with a $6,500 - $8,500 trade value and a retail value of $10k - $12k. The $6,500 is average auction value. As you said this combo isn't exactly popular and that hurts the salability, hence the low auction/trade value and relatively high retail value. You usually see this on cars that have a narrow appeal. People that want them are willing to pay for them, but finding the right buyer is hard. If I had to guess the dealer is just trying to offload the car at a break even covering their costs.

I would still get it checked out for an unreported accident or something like that, but the deal doesn't seem "too good to be true".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Mazda