Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 04:28 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The second-largest U.S. local newspaper company has obtained new $50 million debtor-in-possession financing from Encina Business Credit that will allow the local news outlets it operates to continue to operate.

Look at all print and dinosaur media... faceplanting.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ne..._share_twitter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 05:56 PM

3,618 posts, read 3,053,282 times
Awesome - another fake news outlet bites the dust! I need more real news and details about that guy who was molesting babies in the basement of cosmic pizza.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:34 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Printed news is slowing dying. It has nothing to do with them being left or right. People can easily get their news online now. It's kind of like books which someday could become obsolete because of devices like Kindle. Personally, I like to actually read a newspaper and turn the pages just like a book. So I don't like to see any newspaper go out of business.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:20 PM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Nunes sues McClatchy for defamation and after a Judge denied their request for dismissal, they file bankruptcy.

I call baloney. McClatchy's been bleeding red ink for years and years. Nunes lawsuit had nothing to do with is. McClatchy can't make their pension fund payments, they had 10 retirees on the books for every working employee.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:05 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
I call baloney. McClatchy's been bleeding red ink for years and years. Nunes lawsuit had nothing to do with is. McClatchy can't make their pension fund payments, they had 10 retirees on the books for every working employee.
https://www.courthousenews.com/virgi...famation-suit/
https://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/nat...239564228.html
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...him-discovery/

Look at the dates.
Judge denies dismissal and grants discovery and the following day McClatchy files for bankruptcy.

Old 01-24-2024, 07:48 AM

9,835 posts, read 4,623,002 times
One sided news and opinion and paywalls cut out a lot of potential customers especially people going to their websites. This is a problem at the local level especially in big cities. The physical paper has insane pricing let alone the paywalls. Paywall means a niche customer. Many businesses fail trying to satisify or get one demographic.

Old 02-11-2024, 03:09 AM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Printed news is slowing dying. It has nothing to do with them being left or right. People can easily get their news online now. It's kind of like books which someday could become obsolete because of devices like Kindle. Personally, I like to actually read a newspaper and turn the pages just like a book. So I don't like to see any newspaper go out of business.
I like physical media, as well.

Even though I get most of my national news on line, I get two local newspapers. One is weekly and the other twice a week, but they are physical, and they are local.

I don't own a Kindle, but I have a modest bookcase.

But the days of print are at an end.

And, frankly our civilization is becoming "post literate," meaning we are losing our ability to read and understand printed material, at more than a superficial level.

Old 02-11-2024, 02:21 PM

8,017 posts, read 5,853,160 times
McClatchy was about as relevant in 2024 as Yahoo! News.

Print media is dying faster than Joe Biden, just without the grift money that Biden has accumulated.

Display ad purchases have been down for at least 15 years.
Craigslist killed off the once-lucrative classified ad section of newspapers. Yes, I sold my cars via classified ads in the paper at one point, and they charged $20 for 4 lines of print. And there were HUNDREDS of them in each paper.

But what's killed the legacy newspapers the fastest is this:

"While we tried hard to avoid this step, there's no question that the scale of our 75-year-old pension plan -- with 10 pensioners for every single active employee -- is a reflection of another economic era."

10 pensioners for 1 active employee will not work. Period.

Old 02-12-2024, 11:34 AM

273 posts, read 654,832 times
Dagwood can't sit at the table with his paper held up in front of Blondie. Or millions of others depicted the same way.

Funny, I never did that. I couldn't eat and read at the same time.

Old 02-12-2024, 01:43 PM

8,924 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anononcty View Post
One sided news and opinion and paywalls cut out a lot of potential customers
Paywall means a niche customer. Many businesses fail trying to satisify or get one demographic.
Every news organization fills a niche, and the ones without paywalls have enough ads that sometimes they crash my computer (and refuse to load, if they detect an ad blocker).

The whole of news media is failing, and the old models of how news is gathered can't support itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media