Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2020, 11:01 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times

Advertisements

I find it odd that Kayleigh McEnany, the White House press secretary, is complaining about Twitter locking her out.

She has a very powerful forum that belongs exclusively to her, being the Press Secretary to the President of the United States of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2020, 11:02 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
I stopped using them. Someone on twitter reported an insult and I refuse to delete the tweet, so that's that. I was contemplating closing the account anyway. Twitter's a cesspool, policy & enforcement aside.

I dumped facebook well over a year ago. I keep the account for a handful of interest groups that aren't duplicated elsewhere, but only visit them when I need information.

Most likely, I'll be blocking all of their IP addresses at my network edge by the end of the year. Facebook tracks you very much like Google does, and you don't even have to have an account to be tracked. Not sure if Twitter does, but no reason not to block them, too. I'm on the fence about blocking Google, as they're the worst offender, but the internet basically breaks if you block their networks due to their de-facto monopoly on certain things, e.g. captcha.

Their user bases are too large for an effective boycott. Going after advertisers also won't be effective, IMO. The advertisers want to be where the eyeballs are, and that's FB and Twitter right now. The only way to reduce their power is to reduce their user base. There aren't a lot of ways that could happen. There have been plenty of major scandals involving either of these companies, and people don't seem to care. Feeding their addiction is more important.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:07 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
In the current news items, it appears facebook, and twitter have decided on their own, to crush free speech.
This Biden issue has only been made worse by the policies of these two tech giants, and it WILL come back to bite them in the ass.

Picking and choosing what is approaite content on their sites is something that fringes on communisms, like what might take place in North Korea, but should never happen in the United States.
These two companies have dealt a serious blow to Biden's chances of being elected.
We have to look no further back than Richard Nixon, and the watergate coverup.
The coverup was worse than the actual crime, and Biden, hiding behind twitter and facebook is not going to help him one bit.

So, what is the remedy to stop the bias actions by these two social media web sites?
Quite simple actually;
People need to contact the businesses that advertise on these sites and let them know their products will be boycotted until such time as it takes to rein in these politically altered sites, with their biased proliferation to free speech.
Companies ALWAYS pay attention when it concerns their bottom line.
You want fairness in social media, then go after those that advertise on these sites.
If you don’t like it, don’t use them.

Absolutely nothing says they owe you freedom of speech.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:55 AM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Don't know how many actually read the tos regarding facebook, but I did recently, and, talk about invasion of privacy, this site goes overboard with it's invasion policies.

Right in black and white it states, they follow you wherever you go online , besides being on facebook itself.
They know your buying habits, what sites you visit etc, and what you view on those sites.
Read for yourself, and see just what facebook knows about you.
They know more about you, than you know about yourself.
Don't believe me?
Read the tos for yourself.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:58 AM

11,404 posts, read 4,087,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
So, what is the remedy to stop the bias actions by these two social media web sites?
Quite simple actually;
People need to contact the businesses that advertise on these sites and let them know their products will be boycotted until such time as it takes to rein in these politically altered sites, with their biased proliferation to free speech.
Companies ALWAYS pay attention when it concerns their bottom line.
You want fairness in social media, then go after those that advertise on these sites.

There is no remedy necessary. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube...are all private companies. They can do whatever they want.

If Trump supporters don't like that fake news stories and conspiracy theories being pushed by the radical right are being cracked down on, feel free to look elsewhere for your news or social media interactions.

It's crazy how many Trump voters actually believe that Trump's twitter feed is an "official" outlet for the United States government. It's a social media account, nothing more. Twitter can suspend his account whenever they want to, for whatever they want to. Just as they could do with my account or anyone else's

Old 10-16-2020, 01:11 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
There is no remedy necessary. Facebook, Twitter, YouTube...are all private companies. They can do whatever they want.

If Trump supporters don't like that fake news stories and conspiracy theories being pushed by the radical right are being cracked down on, feel free to look elsewhere for your news or social media interactions.

It's crazy how many Trump voters actually believe that Trump's twitter feed is an "official" outlet for the United States government. It's a social media account, nothing more. Twitter can suspend his account whenever they want to, for whatever they want to. Just as they could do with my account or anyone else's
Rawr rawr rawr! Keep government out of our lives!

Whaaaa whaaaa whaaaa Twitter isn’t letting us push our conspiracy theories! Government tell them what to do!

- republicans
(Note: not conservatives. Real conservatives respect the businesses freedom to run their business).

Old 10-16-2020, 02:57 PM

8,558 posts, read 10,981,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Rawr rawr rawr! Keep government out of our lives!

Whaaaa whaaaa whaaaa Twitter isn’t letting us push our conspiracy theories! Government tell them what to do!

- republicans
(Note: not conservatives. Real conservatives respect the businesses freedom to run their business).
So then, it is ok with you that facebook monitors everything you do online, even though you are not on facebook at the time.
That is called invasion of privacy, but you, and all the others that have signed on to that web site don't seem to care that you are being monitored.
Either that, or you are all oblivious to the terms of being a facebook member.
Most, when they join a web site, never bother to read the tos of the site, so have no idea who is monitoring their every move.
I must admit, I was not aware of the length to which facebook knows what their members are doing on other web sites, but they do.
It's all in their tos, read it.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:59 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,546,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
No laws, just stop u̶s̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶m̶ letting them use you. You are their product.

x1000

Old 10-16-2020, 03:34 PM

6,752 posts, read 3,370,331 times
While it's true that these social media cesspools continue their censorship to suit their radical leftist agendas, it raises an interesting point.

All media outlets are privately owned and legally can promote anything they want and/or censor anything they want. The problem that they have crossed the line between legality and ethical responsibility.

Are they legally bound to report everything? No, they're not, but as media outlets they have crossed that thin line for what is ethical and what is not. This is the main reason that none of these liberal "sources" should be viewed as anything but biased political hacks that have the moral and ethical compass of a sewer rat.

Old 10-16-2020, 03:41 PM

391 posts, read 424,992 times
You guys could stop manufacturing and posting bull****?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media