Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 04:35 PM

25,711 posts, read 12,786,330 times

Advertisements

So now...today (10-27)...all the sudden voters are breaking hard Right, & most of the races Dems led, they are now suddenly behind...seemingly overnight....nearly every close Senate race has some poll saying team Red's up now.

Boloney! The Pubs led all along...for weeks & months. Firsthand reports have been saying so for months, & most believe them more than the media. Canvassers going door to door talking w/ thousands of voters have been saying for weeks that the media's polls are trash. Internal polls have varied widely from propagandists polls.

The DNC's big donors started pulling the plug on Dem funding long ago...another sign that media polls are trash. Those Billionaires are getting the internal poll results. They pulled Crist's funding a month ago, when the corrupt media propagandist polls had DeSantis +1...who would do that? They knew it was really DeSantis +10.

Its past time we start listening to sources OTHER THAN the media to get our information, & quit dismissing all othr sources as anecdotal. Thousands of face to face contacts is less anecdotal than a few corrupted polls.

Now, 11 days out, the media polls must stop lying, or nobody will listen to them next cycle.

The pollsters must come clean over 11-12 days in small increments, to cover their evil deeds.

They can't all of the sudden lerch right by large %'s. They can't go from Oz down 5 to Oz up 5 overnight. So, they do it in smaller increments.

The last poll they report the day before the election is the only one that is real. The rest are voter manipulation.

The Pubs will retake the Senate, and it wont be close. The House will be a massive Red wave, and several Blue seats will flip to Red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2022, 06:20 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,080 times
I agree that 'polls' nowadays are very suspect.

For instance, before the Kansas abortion vote, the polls (right before the vote) showed that those that wished to give the Kansas legislature authority to amend the state Constitution to further restrict abortion were leading by 3 points. I recall being surprised that the percentage was so small (Kansas is a very 'red' state).

Of course, those that were against the measure won by 18 points.

Why?

Back in college, in the 70s, I took a course in Statistical Analysis, which included an examination of how polling was done.

We learned how polling had evolved: in the beginning, Mr. Gallop would literally stop people on the streets and ask them how they planned to vote (1930s). Finding the results less than desirable, Gallop eventually moved on to telephone polling, once most Americans began having landline telephones.

In short, his polling methods improved as more Americans (in the 50s) had landlines. I will ignore the explanation (which is good, for I don't recall) of how he decided to phone those of different races, income status, etc., to get a more diverse demographic.

I guess that polling had its heyday in the 60s, 70s and into the 80s, and perhaps into the 90s.

We then saw the rise of cellular telephones and the internet.

Both were in their infancy into the 90s, with the 'internet' taking off in 1995 or so. Then, we hit 2007, with the introduction of the iPhone.

Both changed the polling landscape.

In 2011, 35 percent of Americans owned a cell phone. Today, it is more like 97 percent, with 85 percent owning a 'smart' phone.

Most Americans that own landlines, with no other phone, is down to some 5 percent. Of those, most are the elderly.

Yet, polling companies still insist on trying to 'average out' polling between landlines, cell phones, and internet polling.

Internet polling is, of course, problematic. Who actually 'votes' on such pop up polls?

Cell phones: I am 67, and I know that I am not alone in refusing calls from unknown numbers. I bet that younger people, whom only own a smart phone, likewise refuse such calls, which would, of course, including pollsters.

Landlines: the last refuge of pollsters. Pollsters like to call those that have been polled before, so the chances are darned high that they will continue to call the elderly whom still have landlines.

So, why was Kansas so wrong? The pollsters can only poll those that answer their calls, or respond to an internet poll. If the young people refuse the cell phone calls, and most people refuse to take part in 'internet' polling, that pretty well leaves the landline people, whom tend to be more conservative.

It is a pretty problem. A polling company, to make money, must be able to 'poll' people, yet most of those willing to be polled have landlines.

Perhaps Mr. Gallop's initial thought, to grab people on the street, will turn out to be the best nowadays.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:06 AM

1,276 posts, read 1,418,426 times
Political polling has lost any credibility whatsoever. In order to make sense of it you have to understand it as deeply as Legalsea does, which obviously most people don't. It's simply entertainment and clickbait now. I wonder how many times they will have to be wrong before it's understood to be meaningless?

Old 11-07-2022, 09:47 AM

25,711 posts, read 12,786,330 times
It will be interesting to see how many, if any, pollsters get this voting cycle right. If they do, it could be dumb luck.

People refuse to be polled now, so how do you have polling results when most people won't cooperate?

I wonder how many attempts the polls have to make just to get 1 person to cooperate with them?

Old 11-08-2022, 05:05 AM

58,996 posts, read 27,280,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I agree that 'polls' nowadays are very suspect.

For instance, before the Kansas abortion vote, the polls (right before the vote) showed that those that wished to give the Kansas legislature authority to amend the state Constitution to further restrict abortion were leading by 3 points. I recall being surprised that the percentage was so small (Kansas is a very 'red' state).

Of course, those that were against the measure won by 18 points.

Why?

Back in college, in the 70s, I took a course in Statistical Analysis, which included an examination of how polling was done.

We learned how polling had evolved: in the beginning, Mr. Gallop would literally stop people on the streets and ask them how they planned to vote (1930s). Finding the results less than desirable, Gallop eventually moved on to telephone polling, once most Americans began having landline telephones.

In short, his polling methods improved as more Americans (in the 50s) had landlines. I will ignore the explanation (which is good, for I don't recall) of how he decided to phone those of different races, income status, etc., to get a more diverse demographic.

I guess that polling had its heyday in the 60s, 70s and into the 80s, and perhaps into the 90s.

We then saw the rise of cellular telephones and the internet.

Both were in their infancy into the 90s, with the 'internet' taking off in 1995 or so. Then, we hit 2007, with the introduction of the iPhone.

Both changed the polling landscape.

In 2011, 35 percent of Americans owned a cell phone. Today, it is more like 97 percent, with 85 percent owning a 'smart' phone.

Most Americans that own landlines, with no other phone, is down to some 5 percent. Of those, most are the elderly.

Yet, polling companies still insist on trying to 'average out' polling between landlines, cell phones, and internet polling.

Internet polling is, of course, problematic. Who actually 'votes' on such pop up polls?

Cell phones: I am 67, and I know that I am not alone in refusing calls from unknown numbers. I bet that younger people, whom only own a smart phone, likewise refuse such calls, which would, of course, including pollsters.

Landlines: the last refuge of pollsters. Pollsters like to call those that have been polled before, so the chances are darned high that they will continue to call the elderly whom still have landlines.

So, why was Kansas so wrong? The pollsters can only poll those that answer their calls, or respond to an internet poll. If the young people refuse the cell phone calls, and most people refuse to take part in 'internet' polling, that pretty well leaves the landline people, whom tend to be more conservative.

It is a pretty problem. A polling company, to make money, must be able to 'poll' people, yet most of those willing to be polled have landlines.

Perhaps Mr. Gallop's initial thought, to grab people on the street, will turn out to be the best nowadays.
"Back in college"

Should have learned ow to delete spaces between sentences.

Old 11-08-2022, 05:53 AM

10,832 posts, read 4,517,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Back in college"

Should have learned ow to delete spaces between sentences.

you are not really up on how things work with the posting of text are you?

Old 11-09-2022, 04:53 AM

58,996 posts, read 27,280,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireinPA View Post
you are not really up on how things work with the posting of text are you?
I've probable been here longer then you have!

Old 11-09-2022, 05:21 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,658,483 times
Polls are based on the party the pollster reaches out to. Not all people polled are honest about their voting.

Old 11-09-2022, 05:24 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,250,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
It will be interesting to see how many, if any, pollsters get this voting cycle right. If they do, it could be dumb luck.

People refuse to be polled now, so how do you have polling results when most people won't cooperate?

I wonder how many attempts the polls have to make just to get 1 person to cooperate with them?
It will be interesting to see how many posters got it right.
Who gleefully predicted the massive red wave.

Old 11-09-2022, 02:43 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,000,087 times
Kentucky abortion issue defeated. What did the polls say again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media