Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2023, 01:59 PM

15,101 posts, read 8,656,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
CNN?

When did Kelly work for CNN?
You know, I suppose I must admit being in error here … as it seems that she apparently turned down the CNN job, contrary to my memory of her accepting it, then having a rather rapid fallout, and leaving.

So, either I’m becoming senile in my old age, or we have another “Mandela Effect” here.

But I swear I distinctly remember her joining CNN, much to the chagrin of her fans, but given her affiliation with FOX and her conservative background, she flopped so famously with CNN viewers, she only last a brief time before exiting.

Apparently that never happened in this current version of reality.

But maybe it’s not the only instance … it seems Megyn Kelly used to be Megan Kelly too, according to a lot of people, including myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnwJUy-RgfU

Oh I figured out the error, it was NBC …. I just got my leftwing propaganda channels mixed up. Quite forgivable given the similarities

Last edited by GuyNTexas; 04-27-2023 at 02:18 PM..

Old 04-27-2023, 02:01 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,407,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
You know, I suppose I must admit being in error here … as it seems that she apparently turned down the CNN job, contrary to my memory of her accepting it, then having a rather rapid fallout, and leaving.

So, either I’m becoming senile in my old age, or we have another “Mandela Effect” here.

It happens. Don't sweat it.

I admit I had to Google it to make sure she hadn't had a brief stint at CNN before/after her Fox years.

Old 04-27-2023, 02:02 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,475,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobkins View Post
... Fox isn't owned by conservatives pushing an agenda. Its owned by foreigners and some liberals ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
LOL

Name them.

Ok, I'll start:

• Rupert Murdoch
• Al Waleed bin Talal Al Saud

your turn
One of his sons is liberal. The other is a far left liberal.
This article about Lachlan Murdoch paints a different picture ...

Lachlan Murdoch, architect of Fox News’ extremist turn, may soon gain even more power

"Lachlan Murdoch helped turn Fox News into a bastion of white supremacist talking points, election subversion, and anti-vaccine conspiracy theories while shredding its “news side” operation. Now he may be rewarded with even more power."

He doesn't sound liberal to me. He sounds MAGA ... exactly like they sound on this forum. I mean really just like that.

The narrative coming up now, that it is really a 'liberal' company, is just plain silly. As silly as when people were trying to claim antifa was attacking the capital building on January 6th. These claims are so ridiculous they sound like Russian disinformation campaigns designed to screw people up.

We all know better. There is no point in ignoring the obvious.

Old 04-27-2023, 02:09 PM

8,420 posts, read 4,586,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
You make me laugh!

It has been shown that the Murdochs and Fox surely push a conservative agenda. I guess you missed it since it was not reported on Fox News.

The question is under what terms can the contract in question be terminated without it being a breach of the terms of the contract?

Inquiring minds don't know.
THAT is definitely the question. From either side.

Old 04-27-2023, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Friends that still work there that would be in the loop of the "why" Tucker was canned? That's a mighty big assumption, IMO. You think her and Rupert are sending each other FB messages or something?
In my experience, the secretary or receptionist in a company knows more about what is going on than the CEO

Old 04-27-2023, 02:23 PM

6,740 posts, read 4,429,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
I saw a video of him admitting that he lies. That's OK because everyone lies. The thing is, though, his fans think his farts smell like flowers. To them he is the messiah who can do no wrong.

Recently he aired a doctored leaked document. He didn't even bother to look at them side-by-side, as part of any fact-checking process. He audience ate it up like he was telling the truth.

The fact is, the majority of the folks on the far right love to be told what they want to hear. It doesnt have to be the truth.

'' The drivel that Tucker Carlson spouts on Fox News isn’t factual, and the people who watch him not only know it’s false, but they don’t expect him to tell them the truth. Don’t get mad at me for that statement. It comes straight from lawyers who represent Fox News.
What those lawyers made clear is that not only do Carlson and Fox News have contempt for the truth, they also have contempt for their own viewers.''

Old 04-27-2023, 02:25 PM

Quote:
The hilarity of trying to spin Tucker as some uncompromising bastion of truth after the court case where he and his legal team actually convinced a judge that the things he said shouldn't be assumed to be factual, and then the release of the text messages surrounding the Dominion lawsuit, absolutely boggles the mind.
You realize that is a legal maneuver employed all the time. You also realize that Tucker was employed to give his opinion. I may have the OPINION that you are a jerk. In fact, I can back it up. But if, by some weird turn of events, you turn out NOT to be a jerk, I didn't lie. I really thought you were a jerk.

Old 04-27-2023, 02:26 PM

9,327 posts, read 16,681,070 times
Default Journalism is dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDee12345 View Post
Why does anyone watch him, or any other liberal or conservative pundit.

If you know what he's going to say, what's the point?

Don't you want to watch actual news where they either do not come to a conclusion, or they take off partisan lenses an analyze the situation without bias?

I've only seen him a handful of times, and with any story that comes up in the US, I can probably guess the side he would come down on 90% of the time. Again, what's the point? He's just telling you what to think.
And the other news media, CNN, MSNBC, PBS, FOX, etc. are not reporting news, they are giving their opinions. Journalism has been dead for quite a while.

Old 04-27-2023, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
In my experience, the secretary or receptionist in a company knows more about what is going on than the CEO
I have the opposite experience. <shrug>

Old 04-27-2023, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchcargo777 View Post
You realize that is a legal maneuver employed all the time. You also realize that Tucker was employed to give his opinion. I may have the OPINION that you are a jerk. In fact, I can back it up. But if, by some weird turn of events, you turn out NOT to be a jerk, I didn't lie. I really thought you were a jerk.
A deflection that does nothing to rebut the points I made.

We're not talking about Tucker saying "I think X and Y." - we're talking about stating as fact things that are completely untrue.

From the court:

US District Judge Mary Kay Vyskocil agreed with Fox's premise, adding that the network "persuasively argues" that "given Mr. Carlson's reputation, any reasonable viewer 'arrive[s] with an appropriate amount of skepticism' about the statements he makes."

"This 'general tenor' of the show should then inform a viewer that he is not 'stating actual facts' about the topics he discusses and is instead engaging in 'exaggeration' and 'non-literal commentary,'" the ruling said.

Exaggerated and non-literal commentary, combined with not stating actual facts, doesn't sound much like "the truth" to me.

Further, we haven't even discussed the text messages released from the Dominion case that are at direct odds with things Tucker said publicly.

Given those two concrete examples, anyone who tries to spin Tucker's firing as some sort of attempt to "silence truth" is simply an unserious person. It makes zero sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Media