Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 06:05 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,517,372 times

Advertisements

Census sums up stagnant Memphis metro area » The Commercial Appeal

Cheerleading aside, facts don't lie. Memphis appears to be a Dead Duck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 06:37 AM

518 posts, read 2,014,299 times
Wink Semantics, my dear one...............

Have to say would rather take a 'stagnant'............location, as in HOLDING ONE's OWN in very tough times, than Buffalo, Las Vegas, or Detroit where foreclosures are sky high and jobs are being lost with huge business and personal financial losses.....

Memphis has had over a decade of incompetent leadership with minimal planning for a productive and creative future.............I am actually surprised that we are even called 'stagnant'.......we have been fighting an uphill battle ever since someone thought that Herenton would be a honorable person to lead ANYTHING at all in Memphis!

add ALL of that to a tough economy. Things do NOT change overnight, but they can change.....Holding my own in tough times........not entirely a bad thing, but you can spin it anyway you like. It's called semantics.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:48 AM

369 posts, read 1,233,236 times
You must not have a lot to do in Colorado. I see you also posted in the CA comment section.

Old 12-15-2010, 10:15 AM

628 posts, read 1,686,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plattsburgher View Post
you can spin it anyway you like. It's called semantics.
Miserable trolling aside, seems they just spun the headline. It's hard to spin the article when one of the opening lines is "The grim figures, largely consistent with national trends...". Homelessness alone has risen close to 50% on average in nearly all major U.S. cities since 2007.

Also, I find the timing of this posted thread, pretty much expected news, ironic with the announcment of one of the largest economic expansion projects for Memphis proper in years.

Electrolux coming to Memphis; thousands of jobs expected

...providing momentum for the city's growing manufacturing base.

Electrolux coming to Memphis; thousands of jobs expected » The Commercial Appeal

Old 12-15-2010, 12:33 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,317,790 times
Based on what's been going on in the nation over the last few years (slowing population growth, high foreclosures, high unemployment, etc.), I'll take 'stagnant' any day over the alternative.

Old 12-15-2010, 02:56 PM

550 posts, read 604,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post
Miserable trolling aside, seems they just spun the headline. It's hard to spin the article when one of the opening lines is "The grim figures, largely consistent with national trends...". Homelessness alone has risen close to 50% on average in nearly all major U.S. cities since 2007.

Also, I find the timing of this posted thread, pretty much expected news, ironic with the announcment of one of the largest economic expansion projects for Memphis proper in years.

Electrolux coming to Memphis; thousands of jobs expected » The Commercial Appeal
The spin on your comments is a million times worse.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:27 PM

278 posts, read 993,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Ryall View Post

This was a refreshing sight to see in the Commercial Appeal this morning. The article said the decision came down to Memphis or Mexico. I'm glad we are getting these jobs, but I feel like the decision was more based on how violent Mexico is becoming instead of how appealing Memphis is. Either way, bring on the jobs!

Old 12-16-2010, 10:06 AM

628 posts, read 1,686,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyCop View Post
I'm glad we are getting these jobs, but I feel like the decision was more based on how violent Mexico is becoming instead of how appealing Memphis is. Either way, bring on the jobs!
I'm sure violence in Mexico is a factor these days, but North Carolina & Alabama were both in the running. Reading directly or inbetween the lines in some of the coverage seems to indicate it heavily relied on the incentives package offered up by the city, county & state. Plus, The thing that really suprised me was that this took place inside Memphis proper and not at the new TVA Megasite in Haywood county. A development with this many jobs could literally tip the scales of the job exchange rate and officially bring Haywood county into the Memphis metro. I'm sure they'll have something out there sooner or later.

On another note besides incentives, the location might have been a major factor because of assets in the area. I'm sure they could cut down transportation costs on raw materials having the nation's 4th largest inland port in the immediate area.

Last edited by Johnny Ryall; 12-16-2010 at 10:21 AM..

Old 12-16-2010, 12:24 PM

550 posts, read 604,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmicstargoat View Post
Census sums up stagnant Memphis metro area » The Commercial Appeal

Cheerleading aside, facts don't lie. Memphis appears to be a Dead Duck.
Dude, your post had been hijacked. I'll help steer it back. Yeah, Memphis is the same place it's been since I was a kid. It sucks.

Old 12-16-2010, 01:00 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,317,790 times
The Electrolux relocation is huge. It's going to cost a heck of a lot of money to bring it to Memphis, but once it's here, it's going to be great. We--like the rest of the country--have lost so many manufacturing jobs over the last several years. I would really like to see the local community college work with Electrolux to set up a program that would help employees expand their skill sets.

Anyway, big thanks to Gov. Bredesen, Commissioner Kisber, both Mayors, the Greater Memphis Chamber, MLGW, TVA, and the City-County office of Economic Development for all the hard work they put into pulling this one off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: