Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2007, 04:44 PM

2 posts, read 5,499 times

Advertisements

What neighborhood is the federal building in? Are there gentrified / yuppie places to live in the city that would be relatively close to work and are very safe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2007, 05:11 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,377,196 times
I would assume you are talking about the government buildings downtown. Downtown is THE yuppie place to live, specifically mud island if you have a family and want a tiny yard. Otherwise, downtown is where all the new condos are being built and is aimed at the young business people, as well as older folks with no kids who want a more hip place to live.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:22 PM

2 posts, read 5,499 times
The building is on N. Main Street. How much would it cost to rent a 1BR in a nice tower building in that area? Would I need a car? How safe would it be?

Old 06-24-2007, 06:26 PM

So you are wanting to rent, not buy?

There are few places to rent downtown anymore. I would guess downtown a 1BR could be around $700 on up.

You would not need a car to get to work, but you'd need one for everything else. There are no grocery stores downtown, no major shopping, etc. You'd have to drive at least a few miles to buy food and anything else. Downtown is mainly a tourist area, thus there are a ton of bars and restaurants but not much else as of now.

Downtown is by far the safest area in the city.

Old 06-24-2007, 06:39 PM

Actually I did a little search...looks like apts for rent are a LOT more expensive than the used to be, probably because most of them have turned condo in the past couple years. Looks like a 1BR may be closer to $1000 if you can find one.

Most people who work downtown don't live there, especially those with families or who are a little older than the typical drinking and dancing crowd.

Midtown is close to downtown (5, 10 min drive) and there are a couple different areas that are close to bars/restaurants that young people live in. Overton Sq area, Cooper Young area. Tons of houses/duplexes for rent in these areas.

Old 02-20-2011, 01:18 PM

4 posts, read 13,354 times
Default safe place to live in memphis

i would like to relocate in memphis area downtown,also have a grandaughter,would the edison tower be a safe place to live?

Old 02-20-2011, 09:02 PM

369 posts, read 1,232,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ella68310 View Post
i would like to relocate in memphis area downtown,also have a grandaughter,would the edison tower be a safe place to live?
Dont believe so. Not exactly sure but you might want to try another section of downtown. I could be wrong though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: