Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2011, 01:05 PM

98 posts, read 370,351 times

Advertisements

For a single person. And can still live in a decent area

Took a trip out to the east and west coasts and poeple are paying a pretty penny to live in a box. Roomates living together in Studios so they dont struggle to bad.

I dont see how the miniman wage earners in some areas even make it in the DC metro and LA area. Heck, I dont see how they can make it in Memphis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 03:29 PM

128 posts, read 462,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Who View Post

Took a trip out to the east and west coasts and poeple are paying a pretty penny to live in a box. Roomates living together in Studios so they dont struggle to bad.

I dont see how the miniman wage earners in some areas even make it in the DC metro and LA area. Heck, I dont see how they can make it in Memphis
Depends on what your monthly expenses are -- required vs luxuries/wants (rent vs cell phone bill, etc.).

You are going to share your costs with a roommate, or that comment was just about California?

Either way, not relying on a roommate to defray costs, I would say your expenses might be on the order of approx. $1500/month. This is making some big assumptions.

A job that pays you $40K per year before taxes, and assuming a 25% federal tax rate giving you $30K per year after taxes, and therefore around $2500 per month should allow you to be more than comfortable. I was able to live comfortably on that in NJ and still put away a little each month. $40K per year would also put you around the median income in Memphis, at least according to an article I skimmed last month in The Commercial Appeal. The poverty level was approx. $22K for a family of four.

Hopefully others can chime in to either back me up or disagree with me.

Old 10-24-2011, 07:18 AM

845 posts, read 2,541,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsgillmd View Post
Depends on what your monthly expenses are -- required vs luxuries/wants (rent vs cell phone bill, etc.).

You are going to share your costs with a roommate, or that comment was just about California?

Either way, not relying on a roommate to defray costs, I would say your expenses might be on the order of approx. $1500/month. This is making some big assumptions.

A job that pays you $40K per year before taxes, and assuming a 25% federal tax rate giving you $30K per year after taxes, and therefore around $2500 per month should allow you to be more than comfortable. I was able to live comfortably on that in NJ and still put away a little each month. $40K per year would also put you around the median income in Memphis, at least according to an article I skimmed last month in The Commercial Appeal. The poverty level was approx. $22K for a family of four.

Yep,

40K to 50K for a single person in Memphis is a descent salary. You would be able to live in a pretty nice area (maybe not owning a home, but renting comfortably), have a descent car, and stay ahead of your bills (assuming you don't have crazy debt or super expensive taste).

Old 10-25-2011, 10:54 PM

20 posts, read 42,827 times
I have to agree 40K is comfortable living in Memphis for a single person

Old 10-27-2011, 07:42 PM

522 posts, read 1,855,264 times
When I first moved to Memphis in 09 I was making $47K with a family of four and we lived pretty good in a nice house and 2 new cars. My wife didnt work but I guess having a good amount of savings and just being conservative with money stretched it much further.

Old 10-27-2011, 10:46 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,473,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Who View Post

20 k lol.

Old 10-28-2011, 06:17 PM

209 posts, read 459,948 times
Quote:

Yeah, I agree with your idea. The 40K is a little bit tough if you want a house in NJ, however, 40K is accpetable in Memphis. It is also affordable to take a house in Memphis.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:41 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,124 times
Quote:

The bold is what I was going to suggest when I first saw the thread title.
It will give you the freedom to live in a decent community and afford plenty of nice extras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: