Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 03:39 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times

Advertisements

I think east memphis guy was talking about Millington, Olive Branch, Cordova, Lakeland, etc. I think Germantown and East Mem are the best options for Whole Foods. Not totally sold on Collierville, but I'm also not that familiar with that city. I'd like to see income numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 08:24 AM

680 posts, read 1,034,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I'd like to see income numbers.
Income isn't the only factor obviously, but it is an important part. Out of curiousity, I did a little research on this. I am sorry for the long winded post. I apologize if the numbers I found are incorrect. I'm going off of what I can see for free from Citydata.com.

If you you look at the map of each town and sort by income, you can see details for each census tract. One of the income hot spots in the county seems to be the 'superzip' in western Collierville and eastern Germantown around Houston Levee, Johnson, and Forest Hill road between Poplar Pike and Wolf River road with a median AGI of around $152,777...making it one of the highest earning zip codes in the entire state and one of the highest in the metro, and one of the nation's "super zips" as defined by Charles Murray in his book "Coming Apart". This zip code has a retail center near Forest Hill with a space vacated by a Shnucks a couple of years ago. The Fresh Market has a location nearby on Johnson/Poplar, which adds a competitive dynamic that could keep a potential grocer away. There is another large retail center at Poplar/Houston Levee with a Kroger as an anchor - so it is a competitive market but far from "locked up".

City wide, here is the list for median household income:

Germantown: $110,534 (pop 38,844)
Collierville: $99,160 (pop 43,965 - before the 2012 annexation)
Arlington: $82,272 (pop 11,500)
Lakeland: $71,949 (pop 12,430)
Bartlett: $70,745 (pop 54,613)
Cordova: ? (?)

Memphis is too large for city-wide data, but the the 38120 area (average AGI of $168,292) in Eastern Memphis is way up there. This is the area near Poplar/240 and Walnut Grove/240. I couldn't find info on the Cordova community since it's partially in Memphis and partially unincorporated and I'm not familar with the zip codes out there. I imagine it's similar to Bartlett and Lakeland.

IMO, anywhere around Poplar/240 is the retail "sweet spot". Unfortunately as far as Whole Foods is concerned, commercial space in that area is more expensive than in the rest of the county and it's already well served by the expanding Whole Foods on Poplar. The mid town census tracts are smaller (outside of Chickasaw and Central Gardens) are averaging under $70,000, and most are much lower. I consider neighborhoods west of Highland, north of Southern, and south summer and Jackson of to be mid town. There's also more competitive pressure in mid town than in the suburbs currently.

As far as Collierville/Germantown/East Memphis....they compare well with Sandy Springs, GA ($73,290) and Roswell, GA ($80,394). Sandy Springs has about 94,000 residents and Roswell has around 90,000 residents....so I'm not sure how that compares to Collierville, Germantown, Eastern Memphis, Cordova, and Olive branch combined.

Roswell, GA has a Trader Joes and neighborhing Sandy Springs has a Whole Foods. Like Germantown does to Memphis, Sandy Springs borders one of the wealthiest neighborhoods in Atlanta.

It's tough to draw comparisions to those larger suburbs outside Atlanta without including Cordova in the mix, and I'm not sure how to find that info. By zip codes that I know of (38018, 38016) we can get an idea, but those are very broad areas and I'm not familiar with them.
AGI 38018 $66,836
AGI 38016 $58,078
Together that is around 45,000 people according to citydata.com

I'd say that both the Collierville/Germantown area and the east memphis/mid town area can each make the argument for their own Trader Joes easily.....but an additional Whole Foods may require a bigger draw of around 100,000+ people (not counting those in close proximity of the existing Whole Foods in eastern Memphis). That's probably 10 years away unless Fayette County and Marshal County see some significant suburban growth in the very near future beyond the estate homes popping up out there.

On the other hand, a Whole Foods store location in Cordova on Germantown Parkway or in Collierville near 385 would probably reach most of the eastern suburbs and growing Fayette county once the freeway link is completed this year. Olive Branch is only about 15 to 20 minutes away from G'town Collierville....and that will be a shorter driven when Houston Levee is extended into Desoto county.

Like I said, a Whole Foods would have to be placed perfectly to serve Collierville, Germantown, Cordova, Olive Branch, and the rest of the eastern suburbs. That's not an easy task, but not impossible either. It's also likely that in 10 to 20 years, just the communities of Collierville/Germantown and perhaps even Piperton will be large enough to collectively support a new location along 385. By then, Lakeland, eastnern Bartlet, and Arlington may have grown enough to justify a 3rd location in that direction.

Kroger isn't doing itself any favors by creating a monopoly. People are really upset with them right now. I wouldn't be shocked if Publix moves into the area within the next few years and Whole Foods expands. My local Kroger doesn't even seem to be trying anymore.

There was a map in the Memphis business journal of the chain grocery stores from a few years ago. For the life of me, I can't find it. It would really be helpful in this discussion.

Last edited by tigerphan; 04-22-2013 at 09:10 AM..

Old 05-28-2013, 10:02 AM

Just wanted to bump this thread.

This looks like a good potential development to have a Whole Foods anchor right near highway 385.
Portfolio - DALHOFF THOMAS design | studio - Memphis, TN

The proposed site plan has recently been changed from suburban "big box" type of development to some kind of live/work area.
http://www.collierville.com/images/s...1.11/9%20b.pdf

Old 05-28-2013, 10:57 AM

738 posts, read 2,575,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerphan View Post
Just wanted to bump this thread.

This looks like a good potential development to have a Whole Foods anchor right near highway 385.
Portfolio - DALHOFF THOMAS design | studio - Memphis, TN

The proposed site plan has recently been changed from suburban "big box" type of development to some kind of live/work area.
http://www.collierville.com/images/s...1.11/9%20b.pdf
Great stuff!

Old 10-23-2013, 01:46 PM

Whole Foods will finally build a new store in southest Shelby County. Exeter at Poplar in Germantown is where they are planning a new location, but this could change. I'm excited that they are planning it. It will be nice to have more competition in the eastern suburbs.

Upscale grocer Whole Foods plans Germantown store » The Commercial Appeal

Cypress Realty Holdings Co. on Wednesday released a statement saying said the retailer is submitting plans to Germantown city officials for approval of a freestanding 41,000-square-foot store on the southeast corner of Poplar Avenue and Pete Mitchell Road near the Germantown Collection Shopping Center.
Whole Foods, an upscale grocer based in Texas, also operates an East Memphis store.

Old 10-23-2013, 02:35 PM

170 posts, read 355,782 times
I'd prefer another Fresh Market. Whole Foods has a stick up their ass.

Old 10-23-2013, 04:49 PM

I'm sure it will be a great fit for Germantown. I don't even know where Exeter is. Guess I will have to stick with Union Avenue and Poplar Plaza Krogers and the Madison Cost Saver.

Old 10-23-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
I'm sure it will be a great fit for Germantown. I don't even know where Exeter is. Guess I will have to stick with Union Avenue and Poplar Plaza Krogers and the Madison Cost Saver.
You are in mid town right?

I honestly think it's just a matter of one of the high quality or organic chains finding an appropriate site. Fresh Markets have smaller footprints, and I think they'd be a natural for Union/McLean area or Highland/Union. It would probably take a developer refurbishing a building or shopping center to open up space.

The new Kroger looks nice at least. I think that illustrates how challenging it is to open a mid town store.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:51 PM

738 posts, read 2,575,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmjordan View Post
I'd prefer another Fresh Market. Whole Foods has a stick up their ass.
What Fresh Market do you shop at? The one in Germantown is horrible, the 'bakery' items full of preservatives, and the produce is often spoiled. Let me know if there is a better run one!

As far as Fresh Market, I get what you're saying,they are expensive, but they have great store brands!

Old 10-23-2013, 08:40 PM

I worked for Fresh Market for a while during my undergraduate. When the 'upper level' management opened the store, it looked amazing. After that... meh.

Yes, I'm in midtown... I am looking forward to the new Union Ave store (probably 2015). They have been very receptive to neighborhood input and the design looks pretty good. Not the best possible, but definitely a huge step forward for Memphis generic big box design standards. More importantly, the neighbors compromised, the company compromised, and everyone got a good product. We need more people like this in the city... especially city gov't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis