Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 06:25 PM

4 posts, read 11,797 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I recently accepted a position in Germantown, TN and am looking for a solid area to rent in.

A little about me: I'm 21, a female, and straight out of college. I currently live in Starkville, MS and am on a rather tight deadline to find an apartment. I will definitely be taking some tours before I sign a lease, but I don't have much time to actually explore the area. It is imperative that I have a commute less than 20 minutes, as I will be on-call. My priorities are safety and proximity to work, with traffic considerations. Some kind of controlled-access or gated community (not the kind where the gates are always left open) would definitely be preferable. I would also love to be close to shopping, restaurants, boutiques, etc. if possible.

I have read quite a few conflicting posts regarding Memphis and the surrounding areas, so I'm hoping for some good insight. My budget is capped at $950, but I would feel a little more comfortable in the $800 range. This price range seems to be a little out of reach for the Germantown area, but I'm definitely willing to spend more on something I like. Any thoughts on Cordova? I have looked into the Shelby Farms area, as well a few complexes off Wolf River Road. I've also considered a complex near the Windyke Country Club. Any suggestions, or areas where I should definitely stay away from, would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 07:45 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
When we first moved to Memphis we also looked at apartments in that area. Offhand, the only ones I can recall that we looked at with gated access are the Madison Humphreys Center

Madison Humphreys Center Apartment Rentals

This is a great location out east, with easy access to I-240, Walnut Grove (for a quick shot into East Memphis), Germantown and Bartlett/Cordova. The apartments were somewhat small, but not terribly so for the price, and the staff was super friendly. These were all updated apartments.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:24 AM

680 posts, read 1,034,995 times
Madison at Humphrey isn't bad. Depending on the company you work for, they give you a discount. Traffic is a little hairy around Christian Brothers but if you are driving into Germantown, you'll be avoiding most of it. There is a trail head for the greenway around Baptist Hospital too. We lived there until 2011, and the ony complaints I had is that occasionally Baptist Hospital would have medevac choppers landing at their helipad at night.

Dogwood Creek Apartments off Houston Levee in Collierville are about as safe as you can get, but I'm not sure about the price. It's a nice development and the area surrounding it is very safe.

There's a new apartment complex on Forest Hill near 385 as well. Some of my friends live there and like it. Not much out there though. You have to go to either Memphis, Germantown, or Collierville for everything.

Nothing really wrong with the Windyke area, but be warned that the Hacks Cross/Winchester area is VERY busy with alot of traffic.

Welcome to town. The folks from Starkville, Baton Rouge, and Knoxville seem much friendlier than the transplants from Tuscaloosa or Gainsville. The Memphis metro is a friendly area after you get to know it. You'll see plenty of State grads around too.

Last edited by tigerphan; 04-22-2013 at 09:38 AM..

Old 04-22-2013, 06:41 PM

Madison Humphreys was actually on my list. It is smack dab in the middle of everything, so it is definitely worth checking out. I'll be working for the city of Germantown, so a discount would just be the cherry on top!

I have looked at the Dogwood Creek website, and I will definitely be checking it out as well. It is about 15 minutes from work and the prices are very comparable to those in and around Germantown.

Are you perhaps talking about Miller Creek? They are new construction near Forest Hill and Winchester. I also have those on my list. So far, it seems like all my forum-reading has definitely paid off! The only downside to these was the on-going construction. I definitely feel like staying in the Eastern Germantown area is my best bet though.

I am so glad you mentioned traffic! I will definitely have to check it out in the morning and see what the commute would be like. I have little patience after living in itty-bitty Starkville for 4 years!

I appreciate these suggestions so much, thank you!

Old 04-22-2013, 08:38 PM

120 posts, read 269,944 times
I live in the Westbury which is next to Windyke. I would not recommend the one that's adjacent to Winchester (I forget the name). The Westbury is at the end of the road that complex is on. PM me if you want some more details.

Also, there's a brand new complex being built next to there that seems nice. AND there yet another new complex being built on Forest Hill Irene next to Route 385.

The traffic on Germantown Rd. by Wolf River as well as getting in and out of there can be awful and could be a factor depending on where your specific work location will be.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:57 PM

Thank you!

After these replies, it does seem like I need to take a trip to see what other options there are. I have looked at every apartment complexes' website and found quite a few, but it does seem like there are others to consider.

I'll be working off Southern Avenue, so that is definitely something to think about if I decided on somewhere in northern Germantown.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:10 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,238,441 times
If you're working on Southern in Germantown, you could look at Kirby Station. Not sure if those have been recommended.

You could also look in East Memphis close to Oak Court/Audubon Square if you find any apartments (try padmapper.com), as the commute down Park Ave/Poplar Pike would probably not be that bad in the mornings.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:25 PM

That website is wonderful, thank you!

I actually took Poplar Pike when I interviewed. It was about 8:30am and there wasn't a whole lot of traffic. However, the weather was awful (just my luck), so I figured that was the reason why. I've also been to Kirby Station, dated a guy who lived there while he was doing an internship. A little small, but I did love the townhouse-ish floor plan.

Old 04-28-2013, 08:03 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,959,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabogitlu View Post
If you're working on Southern in Germantown, you could look at Kirby Station. Not sure if those have been recommended.

You could also look in East Memphis close to Oak Court/Audubon Square if you find any apartments (try padmapper.com), as the commute down Park Ave/Poplar Pike would probably not be that bad in the mornings.
I lived in Kirby Station for about a year and had zero problems. Everyone kept to themselves, and it was quiet. The management was friendly and waved as they rode around on their golf cart. It isn't fenced, but we never had any problems. I think the prices were around $750 and up depending on how long your lease is.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:06 PM

428 posts, read 848,899 times
I to moved from Mississippi State up here after grad school. Best desicion I have ever made. THere are a lot of alumni and fans up here. I understand you about commute mine is pretty brutal and Memphis does have traffic. If you are working in Germantown the following areas are nice, safe, and close to Germantown. Cordova, East Memphis near the kirby quince/poplar area, and Southwind. Also Olive Branch, Mississippi is close to Germantown. Depending on what part of Olive Branch and where you work in Germantown its about 7 or 8 miles. I would live in Olive Branch or Desoto county if I could but I can't cause I work for the city so I have to live in Shelby. Nothing wrong with Memphis I love living in Memphis I just have an obessesion with Mississippi. My family roots in Mississippi go back to British, French, and Spanish colonial days. I had a white ancestor who was one of the first anglo settlers in Southwest Mississippi and help found Amite county. He bought one of my ancestors from the Congo at a slave auction in New Orleans for a wife because at the time there were not many european women in the area. My grandfather was Choctaw. All that to say me wanting to live in Desoto has nothing to do with Memphis being bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis