Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2013, 05:06 PM

72 posts, read 135,102 times

Advertisements

I personally have ATT Ultra DSL. But I'm trying to get service for my mother (in her 70's) who doesn't have DSL in her neighborhood. Her only options are ATT's Uverse (around $40+/mo), Comcast (not sure of price but she doesn't like them) and possibly DirectTV (which I believe is also through ATT). I checked into People PC's/Earthlink, but it is $48/month after the first three months.

I also checked into the option of Walmart's $30 cell phone plan that comes with 3.5mb of data per month. But read that using the phone for an internet hotspot is against their terms of service even though it is capable of it. ATT's DSL Lite plan would have been perfect at only $19.95/mo

Trying to lower the cost for my mother. I would hate to see her pay more than I do and she will be using it less. However, she's not sure she wants to be limited to the 500mb or even 1mb of some of the data services.

Any other options out there?

Last edited by shpgrl1001; 05-21-2013 at 05:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 05:42 PM

1,062 posts, read 2,055,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shpgrl1001 View Post
I personally have ATT Ultra DSL. But I'm trying to get service for my mother (in her 70's) who doesn't have DSL in her neighborhood. Her only options are ATT's Uverse (around $40+/mo), Comcast (not sure of price but she doesn't like them) and possibly DirectTV (which I believe is also through ATT). I checked into People PC's/Earthlink, but it is $48/month after the first three months.

I also checked into the option of Walmart's $30 cell phone plan that comes with 3.5mb of data per month. But read that using the phone for an internet hotspot is against their terms of service even though it is capable of it. ATT's DSL Lite plan would have been perfect at only $19.95/mo

Trying to lower the cost for my mother. I would hate to see her pay more than I do and she will be using it less. However, she's not sure she wants to be limited to the 500mb or even 1mb of some of the data services.

Any other options out there?

I have internet through Direct TV, which is U Verse. I am extremely happy. Comcast is faster but I prefer Direct TV.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:54 PM

72 posts, read 135,102 times
What are the rates through DirectTV? There are non on their website, only their TV packages. They want you to call so they can sell you on a package.

Can you tell me what the general rate is for internet only, and also internet+tv.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:52 PM

18 posts, read 70,020 times
As far as I know, Direct TV only has bundles with TV and doesn't offer an internet-only option. For AT&T my understanding is that once uverse is available, they no longer offer DSL in that area.

Both Comcast and Uverse have promotions but it seems that the AT&T promos are for a year while Comcast is 6 months. I recently switched from Comcast to Uverse after my promo expired - my internet only service jumped to over $70 from the original $40. I was happy with my internet speed with comcast but calling customer service was an exercise in frustration.

I think AT&T has a $35-40 promo for new Uverse customers on their site.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shpgrl1001 View Post
What are the rates through DirectTV? There are non on their website, only their TV packages. They want you to call so they can sell you on a package.

Can you tell me what the general rate is for internet only, and also internet+tv.

Well they different packages. I think mine 39.00 and it goes up in a few months to 49.00 or so. But they also gave the equipment for free and a 100.00 card.

But you really need to call for yourself. They have a lot of different options and they are great to work with.

I have been with them for over 10 yrs and I am very satisfied.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tForTx View Post
As far as I know, Direct TV only has bundles with TV and doesn't offer an internet-only option. For AT&T my understanding is that once uverse is available, they no longer offer DSL in that area.

Both Comcast and Uverse have promotions but it seems that the AT&T promos are for a year while Comcast is 6 months. I recently switched from Comcast to Uverse after my promo expired - my internet only service jumped to over $70 from the original $40. I was happy with my internet speed with comcast but calling customer service was an exercise in frustration.

I think AT&T has a $35-40 promo for new Uverse customers on their site.

You are correct, Direct TV does not offer an internet only option, you would have to go through U-Verse.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:08 AM

738 posts, read 2,577,841 times
If uverse were available in my neighborhood, I'd switch - heard it's great. For now, I have Comcast Xfinity. Usually around $80 a month, but I call every few months and tell them I'm going to cancel, and they lower the price for me. Paying $29 for a year right now.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:11 AM

680 posts, read 1,035,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knucklehead_vol View Post
I have internet through Direct TV, which is U Verse. I am extremely happy. Comcast is faster but I prefer Direct TV.

We have UVerse as well.

I got tired of very unpredictable billing from Comcast. UVerse service is just as good but cheaper....and I know exactly what it will costs every month.

I pay $105 for cable and internet right now - about $45 less than what I was charged before from Comcast.

Old 06-03-2013, 10:53 AM

13 posts, read 25,685 times
Anyone tried Century Link Internet? Looking for internet as well. It's about $40 a month at 10 mbps..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: