Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 08:21 AM

680 posts, read 1,034,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginsaw View Post
This is an interesting point. The way I would try to explain the growth pattern is, the growth is a natural extension from Memphis itself based on the route followed. What does that mean? Well, I think it's an elongated if you will, extension of Memphis' Poplar Avenue. Poplar's no different than the other old federal highway "main lines" (that incidentally originally followed railroad rights of way) thru town excepting that it flowed thru the most important residential and commercial parts of Memphis and it's also East Memphis, which back in the day was the name of the game in future up-scale development, so everything followed it. And you had Germantown as its obvious eventual destination.
Makes sense.

The area along Poplar was linked by rail long, long ago. There were a couple of civil war era battles along that line. That's one of the reasons I think the older parts of Rossville, Collierville, and Germantown actually resemble small towns despite an explosion of residential growth in the 20th century....similar to some of the northern and western Chicago suburbs. Their downtowns are situated on the rail line, which is eventually where Poplar was routed.

Olive Branch and Southaven don't have the same look or feel to me. It's not a bad thing since they are all suburbs at this point, but it feels less like a cohesive community than the areas along Poplar.

I think that rail line through Memphis and out east along Poplar will be a great place for a regional passenger rail in the future since so much of Memphis's growth is along that route from the river all the way out into Fayette county. Can you imagine hopping on a train in Collierville or Germantown and getting off at University if Memphis, the Poplar/240 business district, or downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 10:15 AM

329 posts, read 636,159 times
What I find interesting in Memphis growth patterns, since Memphis started on the river which is the western side of town geographically, you can drive from downtown to east and see how time progressed from older to newer. East memphis/ southeastern Shelby county and Cordova/Germantown/Collierville etc. is new up to date. Driving from there to west it's like you go back in time once you hit downtown, its real cool.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:06 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,398,707 times
Olive Branch also has an old town along railroad tracks. So do Bartlett and Arlington. All of those towns were founded in the 19th century. Southaven, on the other hand, was founded just a few decades ago. Much as they would like you to forget it now, the town's name is a portmonteau of South Whitehaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis