Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 10:57 AM
Elu Elu started this thread

7 posts, read 32,460 times

Advertisements

hello,

I will be moving to Memphis within 1 year. I would like to either rent or buy a 1 bedroom apartment as close to Beale St, but I'm very concerned about safety in this area. Basically, I want to be able to hang out at Beale St in the evening on any day of a week, and then have a short walk home (up to 1/2 mile). Here are my questions:

1. Is it possible to be safe in the several blocks surrounding Beale St. I have seen ads for rental or sale on Main St, Front St, Talbot St. How safe is this neighborhood?

2. If you live downtown, where do you keep your car? Once again, safety is my priority.

3. In case I do have to live outside of downtown, what public transportation system does Memphis have? Does it run 24/7? IS IT SAFE?

4. I can't quite afford Mud Island, and I really like to stay as close to Beale St as possible. What is the reasonable rent price for 1 bedroom apartment? Sell price?

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2007, 11:19 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,316,168 times
I had no idea that people who live here actually go to Beale Street.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strumpeace View Post
I had no idea that people who live here actually go to Beale Street.

Well... So where do people go live in Memphis actually go?

I don't live in Memphis YET.

Old 11-19-2007, 11:25 AM

BTW, the only one of the questions I can help answer is this one:

Quote:
3. In case I do have to live outside of downtown, what public transportation system does Memphis have? Does it run 24/7? IS IT SAFE?
Public transportation here is generally safe and generally reliable. Unfortunately, unless you live along a major thoroughfare, it is generally impractical. Buses run on various schedules and routes, depending upon whether it is a weekday or weekend. The primary bus route, #50 (Downtown along Poplar to East Memphis), iirc, runs later than most routes. I think service for that route ends at 11:00 PM.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:00 PM

3,371 posts, read 13,379,478 times
I would highly disagree that MATA is safe and reliable. I would never set foot on a bus unless I was in dire, dire need. And every friend and family member with a car was gone. You will never, ever, ever see residents of Memphis just hopping on a MATA bus to go downtown and party on the weekends.

Beale is pretty touristy. the rest of downtown is not. Price range of an apt would depend on size...you could probably get a tiny loft for less than an actual one bedroom. Maybe one bedroom around $500-600? There just aren't that many apts downtown anymore.

Main, Front, and Talbot isn't a neighborhood. Maina and Front are miles long. Talbot is a little section that crosses Main that has some cheap apts on it. Not to scale with the rest of downtown.

People who live downtown store their cars in garages and just walk to them everyday if they need them.

Residents of the area go downtown often (young residents) but not really the Beale area. There are bars and clubs all over the city and suburbs.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:16 PM

27 posts, read 90,498 times
I'm with strumpeace on this one... the buses are safe. I have never ever heard of someone getting assaulted on a city bus. And I know plenty of midtowners that have used them (including myself).

Now reliable is a different story. They don't stick to schedules very well, and the blistering summer heat will make for an unbearable wait. I chewed Tom Fox out a few months ago about the slow progress of GPS tracking. You should be able to see how long it will be before the next bus arrives like you do in other cities. I do ride the trolleys regularly as well during my lunch hour.

Its been a while since I have been downtown on beale. Its not quite my thing, but just a few years ago, it was full of dance clubs that locals used to go to. The last time I was there it was packed, but some of the clubs have gone from dance music to more hip-hop based dance music. It still is busy, but if you're looking for blues, you're looking at the wrong street.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgupta View Post

Its been a while since I have been downtown on beale. Its not quite my thing, but just a few years ago, it was full of dance clubs that locals used to go to. The last time I was there it was packed, but some of the clubs have gone from dance music to more hip-hop based dance music. It still is busy, but if you're looking for blues, you're looking at the wrong street.
Thanks for all the responses, they're extremely careful. I've been searching the internet for Memphis nightlife, and the only area that comes up consistently was Beale St. What are the clubs/bars where young professionals (20s-early 30s) hang out?

Old 11-19-2007, 12:33 PM

Downtown: Flying Saucer, EP's, Dan McGuiness, really every restaurant downtown stays open late and people go there to drink. Depends on your taste....yuppie, clubby, wine, martinis, beers, etc.

Cooper Young area in midtown has a bunch of bars and restaurants. Also the Overton Square area in midtown.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:40 PM

And to add, no, I don't mean that the buses are dangerous as in people with guns mugging you. However, it's basically the lower class who ride them, predominantly black, people who can't afford cars. You will not see young professional people getting dressed up in club outfits getting on a bus to go drink on Beale. Memphis is a driving city, people of middle and upper class own cars and drive.

I personally would not feel comfortable on a bus because it would be horribly obvious that I did not "fit in" with everyone else and unfortunately that makes you a target for crime anywhere. Which is why tourists get hit up for money by bums all the time downtown....they don't fit in, they aren't local, thus are easy targets. I'm not saying that the buses are violent, but I would not ever want to take the risk of being harassed or approached on there because I look like I might have some money or something to steal and sell for money. There's no where to run when you are enclosed on a bus. I'm just thinking of my own safety on that one.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:49 PM

In my entire time in Memphis, I have not heard of a single incident of violence on a city bus. I do understand the need to look out for one's own safety, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
View detailed profiles of: