Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2013, 10:10 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,529 times

Advertisements

Granted, there are quite a few rough parts of town, but we have no shortage of nice areas either. And I'm not just talking about mediocre areas that are good enough for plain people like me. Just to name a few areas, Harbor Town, Central Gardens, Chickasaw Gardens, River Oaks are all very exceedingly fancy and full of doctor and lawyers and such. And yet there's this common perception that the whole town is run down that one has to live in Germantown or Collierville or else. I don't get it.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:07 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,969,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
Granted, there are quite a few rough parts of town, but we have no shortage of nice areas either. And I'm not just talking about mediocre areas that are good enough for plain people like me. Just to name a few areas, Harbor Town, Central Gardens, Chickasaw Gardens, River Oaks are all very exceedingly fancy and full of doctor and lawyers and such. And yet there's this common perception that the whole town is run down that one has to live in Germantown or Collierville or else. I don't get it.
This is not only Memphis.

One reason is some don't know any better. Many will preach about issues they know nothing about.

Others are insecure. They think to make where they live look better they have to put someone else's neighborhood down.

I lived in Memphis and hated it. I would never infer that Memphis is all bad. There is always something to enjoy.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:23 PM

52 posts, read 120,792 times
I think the problem stems from three main causes:

1. Misconceptions based on stereotypes that are perpetuated by the media's reporting of crime and crime rankings (which those experts dealing with crime stats discourage). Memphis reports its crimes more accurately and meticulously than other cities, therefore it is often "ranked" as being more dangerous.

Don't believe me? Read this: Memphis a victim of crime reports » The Commercial Appeal

Personally, I'd rather live in a city where I know honest facts regarding crime, but I guess some prefer otherwise. Despite all of this, some people (inside and out) believe that Memphis is a crime-ridden city. That simply isn't the case.

2. The "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome plagues many. Memphians are our own worst critics. Many of us have lived in the city for years, so we've seen the highs and lows of the city. But we (including myself) fail to realize that every other city, larger and smaller, deal with the same issues. We tend to believe that other cities (Nashville) are flawless and aren't facing problems. No two cities are alike. Other cities may not have the same problems that we do, but they certainly have their own to worry about.

3. Indeed, Memphis has real problems that merit attention. But luckily, for every problem in Memphis, there is likely at least one person, group, etc. that is actively working to solve the problem. But I challenge anyone to show me a city larger than Memphis that is not facing some sort of problem. I'd love to visit.

One of the things that somewhat irritates me is when people refer to Memphis as a "small town." I know they generally mean that the community is close-knit, but Memphis is not a small town. It's the 20th largest city in the United States. It's the largest city in Tennessee. A city the size of Memphis will face crime, poverty, education woes, political corruption, etc. that a "small town" may not encounter as often. When people start thinking of the city as a "small town," they begin to expect "small town" problems. Of course they'll be disappointed. That's my theory, anyway.

Aside from all of this, some people just love being cynical about anything and everything. Those people will be unhappy wherever they go. Perhaps Memphis has more of these folks. I don't know.

I do know that Memphis is a great city.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:07 AM

620 posts, read 1,198,472 times
The majority of the city is ghetto.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:42 AM

845 posts, read 2,542,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaDave View Post
The majority of the city is ghetto.
Is that code speak for something else???

Old 11-02-2013, 05:48 AM

448 posts, read 870,521 times
People think of Memphis as being "bad" for the same reason that people think of all of Chicago or Oakland as being "bad". The news reports do not make a distinction from area to area. It's just "Chicago" or "Memphis" or "Oakland".

Old 11-02-2013, 08:22 AM

188 posts, read 372,619 times
Most of the city is downtrodden and littered with trash.
If you are moving here with a family your best bet is not moving into the city of Memphis unless you are very wealthy and can afford private schools.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:24 AM

52 posts, read 120,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longtimelistener View Post
Most of the city is downtrodden and littered with trash.
If you are moving here with a family your best bet is not moving into the city of Memphis unless you are very wealthy and can afford private schools.
Do you have any statistics or even pictures to back up this claim?

Old 11-02-2013, 09:32 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkseid View Post
People think of Memphis as being "bad" for the same reason that people think of all of Chicago or Oakland as being "bad". The news reports do not make a distinction from area to area. It's just "Chicago" or "Memphis" or "Oakland".
I tend to agree.
The fact that the bad areas are so hodgepodge does make it seem like it's the whole city sometimes. You can't just tell potential newcomers to 'avoid this area and you'll be fine'. It's more like 'stay within these boundaries or these, or these'.
Memphis proper has some great areas, but the fact that you have to know where to look to find them probably doesn't help the reputation.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:23 AM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,529 times
Stay within a few miles of Poplar and you're fine. The north and south sides are trouble. It's not complicated at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis