Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2014, 04:05 PM

10 posts, read 13,066 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. I know there are quite a few posts like this but I am a 23 year old female who recently graduated from the University of Tennessee. I've lived in east tn my whole life (Knoxville and Bristol) and I'm looking for a new start! I'm considering taking a job offer in Germantown. I know nothing about Memphis, besides what I've read on the forum, but I have a vague idea of what too expect. I'm looking for a one to two bedroom rental in a safe neighborhood. I have friends from Germantown and from what I understand Germantown is a great place to live, however I do want a nightlife scene and would like to be where other people my age would be. I live in downtown Knoxville right now and love being somewhat close to bars and restaurants, but wouldn't mind living somewhere a short drive to the action. It seems midtown or downtown fits my criteria, but would the daily drive to Germantown be ridiculous? I also have a dog and would like a place that's safe enough to walk her at night, and a close park would be great. I also love exploring the culture of a city, so I'd like to be in a more historic less suburban type area. All this for under 800$!

Is midtown or downtown my best bet? Or should I look for a place in Germantown?

Also if anyone is familiar with Knoxville and can tell me some differences to expect that'd be cool!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2014, 08:02 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,877 times
Try East Memphis. Very centrally located. In between Gtown and Midtown. Unless you're getting a roommate, $800 probably wouldn't get you into Gtown.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:03 PM

159 posts, read 157,259 times
I'll second the notion that $800/month likely won't fetch much in Germantown. Then again, Germantown may not have exactly what you're looking for anyway. It has qualities that make it desirable to a number of people - things like good schools, a low crime rate, a good amount of shopping opportunities (mostly in strip malls, though, as far as I can tell), etc. However, these qualities may or may not be what you're after as a recent college grad in your early twenties. From what I can tell, it seems that people in your demographic are more drawn to midtown than to any other part of the metro. Restaurants and bars aplenty, with an interesting mix of stores thrown in.

As far as commuting to Germantown is concerned, it could be worse. It all depends on your tolerance for traffic; Memphis traffic is nothing compared to many large metros, but it just might be more than what you're used to (can't say for sure, having never set foot in Knoxville). My current commute is from downtown to east Memphis, and most days it's no big deal.

Old 05-26-2014, 07:16 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,958,042 times
I believe Kirby Station apartments are around $800/month, and they are located on the border of Germantown and Memphis. If you live in East Memphis or Midtown, and you're working normal hours (8-4pm) in Germantown, you'll be going the opposite direction of rush hour traffic. Your commute shouldn't be bad at all.
When I was attending the University of Memphis, we always hung out at bars on Highland Street (near Southern Ave), which isn't too terribly far from Germantown... maybe 10-15 min? Going downtown all the time might get old if you live in Gtown. I am very familiar with all of Germantown and Collierville if you want to message me with any questions you have.

Old 07-12-2014, 12:17 PM

8 posts, read 11,854 times
I have lived in Germantown my whole life. There are a lot of good things about Germantown and Collierville area like safety and nice stores. $800 won't get you much if anything in Germantown and Collierville. I rent a 3 bedroom house in Collierville which is just east of Germantown and I pay over $1000 a month for it. But thats because Germantown and Collierville are the rich parts of Memphis so you pay for nicer things. But I would never rent/buy in the city of Memphis. Especially for a young woman (I am too, 25 yrs old) it's not safe in the city. As for a night life, there really isn't any in Germantown or Collierville except if you want to go to the movies or go bowling but its only about a 20 minute drive to midtown where the bars are. But if safety is a big concern, I would definitely pick Germantown or Collierville. Hope this helps.

Old 07-12-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lari2012 View Post
But I would never rent/buy in the city of Memphis. Especially for a young woman (I am too, 25 yrs old) it's not safe in the city.
This is an exaggeration. There are plenty of young women living (safely) in the city of Memphis.

Old 07-12-2014, 10:33 PM

8 posts, read 11,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphjayhawk View Post
This is an exaggeration. There are plenty of young women living (safely) in the city of Memphis.
I think everyone is allowed their own opinions and myself, having a father who has been a part of the sheriff's department for over 20 years now so knowing the crime that goes on in the city and how it has increased over the years and living there my whole life, I am personally saying I do not feel safe in the city and I PERSONALLY would not feel safe living there. I understand there are young women living in the city safely and I know the city has its bad parts and good parts but for me I rather be safe than sorry. Some people might think my statement is an exaggeration and that's fine. It's my personal opinion. There is a reason why Memphis is rated in the top 5 of most dangerous cities in the United States.

Old 07-13-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lari2012 View Post
I think everyone is allowed their own opinions and myself, having a father who has been a part of the sheriff's department for over 20 years now so knowing the crime that goes on in the city and how it has increased over the years and living there my whole life, I am personally saying I do not feel safe in the city and I PERSONALLY would not feel safe living there. I understand there are young women living in the city safely and I know the city has its bad parts and good parts but for me I rather be safe than sorry. Some people might think my statement is an exaggeration and that's fine. It's my personal opinion. There is a reason why Memphis is rated in the top 5 of most dangerous cities in the United States.
Fair enough. I really didn't mean to imply that your opinion wasn't valid, and I realize you're trying to be helpful to the OP (as am I). No hard feelings, ok?

You make a fair point about being safe rather than sorry. I just wouldn't want the OP to end up missing out on some of the more fun parts of the city that most people around here seem to like the most, all because someone told her "it's not safe in the city." If you ask me, a city is too complex to be labeled as "safe" or "dangerous," as there are so many different things that factor into the experiences of any given individual. Not saying crime rates aren't something to consider, especially for a young woman who may be living alone in an unfamiliar area. I just don't think crime rates always paint the most accurate picture of what it will be like for *you* to live someplace, based on your own habits, the types of folks you hang out with, etc.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:08 PM

1,380 posts, read 2,397,877 times
1. The crime rate is down enormously over the last 20 years, just like everywhere else in the US.
2. Oh no. East Memphis. So gosh darn scary. <rolls eyes>

Old 07-13-2014, 10:23 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,233,138 times
Quote:

I think the reason why your opinion may seem ludicrous to many that post here is that it's too rigid in its logic. To think that East Memphis 500 feet from the line of Germantown is "scary" and Germantown 500 feet from the line of East Memphis is "safe" is to ignore the fact that criminals and thugs have cars. Now if you had said "I would never consider living in North Memphis" THEN I think most people would say, hey, this lady has reasons for her opinion and they're pretty solid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis