Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 35,295 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to the Memphis area and don't care at all for living in the city proper. In researching real estate, Cordova housing seems to have inordinately low resale value. Can someone give me the lowdown on why this is? Should I be considering some other areas?

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-28-2006, 02:53 PM

90 posts, read 467,476 times
Default Cordova

I'm not living in Mphs area but am moving there too. From what i read, Cordova has been annexed by Mphs, thus its property taxes have gone up and house value has gone donw. Insiders please give more thanks!

As far as i know, Germantown and Collierville are both incorporated cities, so they can't be annexed by Mphs. What's happening in the real estate in both cities?

Old 10-29-2006, 11:48 AM

50 posts, read 122,155 times
What's WRONG with Cordova ???
Okay.....you may not like my answer, but here's the REAL deal...you may not get the real truth from biased residents. My understanding comes from experience, and knowledge...not from guessing, but I won't be surprised if some moderator will seek to erase my answer, or chastise me for describing what drives the social fabric (e.g. housing, etc) and sometimes business investment.
Cordova had explosive housing growth during the early to mid 1980s....every developer KNEW it was in an unicorporated area.....but the buyers, as dumb or as naive as many of them were, did not understand the ramifications of purchasing in ANY unicorporated area in ANY CITY OR METRO AREA !
The explosive growth of this rather nice suburban area called "Cordova" was fueled by Moderator cut: racist remark. Well over 70% of the 'new residents' were 'old residents' of Memphis (not transplants to the area for a job necessarily). Most all (early on) of the new residents were whites moving out of an area called Hickory Hill and SE Memphis.....many Moderator cut: racist remark were scared in to listing and selling their homes because of 'urban creep' of the westernmost corridor of what is called Winchester Road, which is a heckuva long stretching road from way out west near the Airport, all the way to Collierville to the East.....Winchester Road on the west side of town was home to a section called WhiteHaven which at an early point of memphis history, was predominately middle class and above, Moderator cut: racist moving into their "WHITEhaven" (no pun intended), then they started moving further and further EAST...at that time the area to buy in according to Moderator cut: racisit remark , was Hickory Hill....this new stretch of surburbia boasted newer restaurants, and a then-new Mall, called Hickory Ridge Mall, which contained some very nice department stores, like Federated's Goldsmith's (now Macy's), a smaller great store name M.M. Cohn, and even attracted a Kentucky based retail legend called 'Dawehares' (from Lexington, Ky, family owned store with very nice merchandise selection !)......well, like WhiteHaven, the [mod racist remark [/mod] started to move into homes and apartments in the Hickory Ridge/Hickory Hill area,....the Moderator cut: racist remark got scared again, and real estate agents once again facilitated their 'fear' and actively (once again mind you) engaged in the highly illegal tactic of "blockbusting" (study up on this term...lol).....so the stampede started again....to 'go east young man'...lol....so guess what?? Developers had already started buying up huge tracks of land just north of the City of Germantown, and just across north of I40......now the folks from Hickory Hill were buying houses once again to get away from the Moderator cut: racist remark who were now moving into their precious Hickory Hill.....Mexicans too, lord forbid......so.....low and behold, NOW some Moderator cut: racist remark were buying houses in the NEWest Cordova !!! Imagine that !.......and these Moderator cut: racist remark many of which worked as professionals in banking, law, teaching, many with FEDEX mid management, government, etc. etc...... well, that makes not difference to many [mod racist remark [/mod] you see...they were still those Moderator cut: racist remark !.....and now these same Moderator cut: racist remark are living and shopping, and hanging out in many many many places in the beloved CORDOVA......!.....get it??.....Cordova now represented a real blend of people, ethnicities, professions, and of course this means that you have to interact with "those folks" once AGAIN....my goodness, imagine that (having to deal with people different than yourself !...lol....what's the world coming to? )......get it YET ? HA !HA ! In other words my friend:

WILL CONTINUE FOLLOWING THIS MESSAGE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-29-2006, 11:50 AM

Default Contined Answer About Cordova

There's nothing wrong really with Cordova notwithstanding some very poor road design, ingress and eggress, and the Big Box suburban sprawl....but once again, many many people have decided to 'unload' their houses in an attempt to 'get away' from the City of Memphis......Of course Memphis ANNEXED such an attractive TAX BASE !....any city would do the same thing !....but some idiots who purchased in the unicorporated area called Cordova actually THOUGHT or BELIEVED they were immune to such a commonly used metropolitan procedure !.....DUH....lol ...lol....ignorance is a weird thing isn't it.........so000000000...low and behold, the new residents of their beloved Cordova are BACK in the CITY OF MEMPHIS, who by the way has a black mayor.....yeah I know.....having to deal with the reality of Moderator cut: racist remark ...oh NOOOO Mr Bill....lol.....lol.....too funny for me because I couldn't care WHO I lived next door as long as they are decent neighbors and decent people....but wait....hmmmm.....that's not the way it is in Memphis.....yeah buddy, it's all about the "RACE" thing, prejudice, anit-Semitism, poor education, and of course its close proximity to the GREAT STATE of Mississippi !!

Something 'wrong' with Cordova ????? well frankly no.....it's something wrong with the PEOPLE !! Some people believe you can keep 'running'....given that flawed logic, most Memphians will sooner or later keep running east to Jackson, TN....or Nashville, but if they get to Nashville, Nashvillians will undoubtedly run them off (the racists...all of them, black blue, white, orange) with a baseball bat, because Nashville wants no part of Memphis OR west TN....

I'd move somewhere else....I do/did (every chance)

SHALOM! (sorry for the sarcasm, but if it works to get you an answer, fine!)

Old 10-29-2006, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 35,295 times
Thumbs up Ah, the 'fear' factor.

I would have guessed that the mass exodus was largely caused by the doubling of property taxes. I sometimes forget the charm of the 'old' south.

Something else I've discovered while comparing crime statistics to other cities I'm familiar with; Cordova seems like a pretty dangerous place. Forcible rape seems to be a particular favorite, chalking up a hefty 400% of the national average.

I am now considering Collierville for its' safety, incorporation and subsequent lower property taxes. It also happens to be a bit closer to my wife's workplace.

Thanks for the info...

Old 10-29-2006, 12:58 PM

Collierville and Germantown would be my choices in that order....maybe Arlington as well.....if your wife works at FEDEX over near Hacks Cross, that's a short drive for sure..

No question that Memphis is a dangerous city....I have good friends all over and many good friends in Memphis, most live either in GTown, Collierville, Eads, or East around old Perkins/Galloway...or around the Shady Grove area.....

Memphis is a wannabe progressive city, but it's mired in stupidity...cleverly cloaked in a sneaky brand of racism, indifference and mediocrity.

The city also has an inferiority complex of sort...very strange indeed...the city has lots of potential, but they remain blamefully disengaged to rally for the future.

Not my kind of thing....but they really enjoy the status quo, and will look at you wierdly if you don't accept their brand of malaise and resignment.....they actually expect you to leave your expectations and experience at the 'city limits' when you move there.....in other words 'who are you to complain' ?
'we like it here' !

They like blaming each other...bad education...mediocre entertainment...poor roads....bad airline travel connections.....a plethora of chain restaurants....poor shopping....etc. etc.

Old 10-30-2006, 08:10 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
To summarize all the other posts - What's wrong with Cordova is it is part of Shelby county and thus destined to be annexed by Memphis, if it hasn't already. Memphis has an incredibly bad political infrastructure with widespread waste and corruption, that's just the way it is and it doesn't seem likely to change anytime soon - and that results in bad schools, bad roads, bad law enforcement, bad jobs, lack of money, etc. On top of all that wealthier people are leaving Shelby county, the poorer people stay, less tax is collected to run the city, and the cycle continues.

So your home in Cordova is destined to go down in value, city services will decline, property tax will go up, crime will increase. That's why almost everyone here in this forum says that if you do move to Memphis in no way do you want to live in the City or even in the unincorporated parts of Shelby County.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:59 AM

How's the zip code: 38125, it is within the City

Old 10-31-2006, 02:19 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
38125 - Hack's Cross road area. I think it's still Memphis, close to Germantown borders. A little too close to Hickory Hill ("Hickory Hood") for me but otherwise Hack's Cross is a not that bad of an area as Memphis goes, near the Fedex HQ.

Old 10-31-2006, 08:36 PM

Is Collierville all right? Some say it's too close to Mississippi....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Memphis